iPad Pro vs MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jonny301, Oct 30, 2016.

1. jonny301 macrumors newbie

jonny301

I know MacBook and iPad Pro are running on two different operating systems, but I'm in the process of buying a new laptop, which obviously getting a MacBook is ideal. But with the iPad Pro and the attachable keyboard, it is almost a laptop. And with data storage like iCloud and Dropbox available, finding locations to store info is not a problem. And with Apple Music and Spotify available, not having a location to store music is okay since everything is streaming. So this makes me question if getting an iPad Pro is more ideal than getting a MacBook. And with the new Pro out, I don't think I would use it to its great potential. What do you think is ideal. MacBook or IPad Pro

2. miltonbull macrumors member

miltonbull

Theres a lot of threads on the subject where you can find some good information. My main device is a pro 9.7. I also have a RMB M3 2016 with is more like a backup PC or something. Thought I needed it but my pro 9.7 pretty much does it all. It might sound weird but it felt abit "scary" not having a "normal PC" whatever that is these days. So i bought the RMB, just to realise they both do the same thing for me. We all have different needs from our stuff, try figure out what yours are. From your post it seems like your a regular consumer like me.

3. Picapau21 macrumors 6502

As miltonbull said it depends on what your needs are.

I've tried working with an iPad and it was impossible largely due to not being able to run certain software.

For home use, browsing, light email, music the iPad would be fine. I still preferred these activities on the MacBook though as I don't have to constantly hold it up.

4. evec, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016

evec macrumors regular

MacBook give you totally freedom as a computer system,
    even MacBook may be slow in some usage, but it can.

IOS only suitable for simple task such as browsing, email or read pdf and use at small device (IPHONE for sure).

I don't like tablet because i must take IPHONE on my pocket every day, but i don't want to take the tablet outside for just simple view the page or check email, i can use iPhone for those tasks.

If i need longer reading or travel for large display, i prefer MacBook, because i don't need transfer or access iCloud,
    as many hotel without reliability wifi access.
    You can normal get 256GB on MacBook for standard and fully free organizing of your data.

Also, many website still use Flash, OSX can install flash and you can choose use it if you need, but no chance of IOS, also many site will link you to a simple site that design for IOS, as OSX show fully desktop version.

Also, MacBook with much better audio output (internal speaker and 3.5mm jack).

For long reading, i don't like touch device because most of the time the oil will on the surface, it will affect the reading whenever the display is promoted a first class IPS, it worst.

5. double329 macrumors 6502

I have both IPP 12 and MB m5 2016. If I have to chose and can only pick one device. I would go with MB. It is more a full blown laptop. With IPP you will tend to make it like laptop and ending up spend money on keyboard, etc... next thing you know. It will cost you as much as MB. I use both of them all the time. But, when I need to bring only one device, I always picked MB over iPP. IPP is very capable and I love it's speed. Bottomline is: it is really come down to how much you are willing to make adjustment in term of getting done. In some cases, between IPP and MB; you will be doing certain thing differently depending on the device. The way I alway see is: Tablet is complementing the laptop, not yet a replacement.

6. jonny301 thread starter macrumors newbie

jonny301

Yeah, I'm a regular user. I was hoping that Apple would've come out with a new MacBook, but only the MacBook Pro which I know I wouldn't be using it to its potential. So primarily I would be using it is just to browse online, listen music, read, send emails, etc. Nothing specifically I would need a laptop to do. Especially when there are multiple apps that are available.

But thank you for the confirmation. I do agree with you it does feel scary not having a normal PC. But hey, times are changing.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 30, 2016 ---
    Yeah, I agree with the holding up the device tiresome.

7. Savor Suspended

Savor

Agreed. Pay the extra for a more desktop experience with Mac OSX. Smartphone (iOS) + Notebook (OSX) is more complementary with each other than a smartphone + tablet (w/ keyboard) with the same OS . A tablet is more like a third wheel. More extra accessory than necessity.

But it might not seem so black and white answer because it depends how you use to compute with each device. I like both the hardware on MB and iPP. But my decision is based on the operating system. OSX is the truer experience for desktops and notebooks than iPhone OS which relies on apps which are more for recreational and cloud services.

8. jonny301 thread starter macrumors newbie

jonny301

Thanks for the help. I agree an iPad is practically a giant iPhone, which I already have. From the consensus of the post, it seems a MB Is the better option.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 30, 2016 ---
    eah, I think I'll be going with the MB. Too bad Apple didn't mention a new MB this year. As much I would like to have the Touch Bar, I don't think I'll be using the Pro to its potential even the cheaper of the three. Thanks for your help.

9. Picapau21 macrumors 6502

I'm the same way...i would like a shiny new computer but for 90%+ of my uses I don't need the extra power and the portability wins because I take the MB with me everywhere on a daily basis.