iPad Pro vs MacBook

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jonny301, Oct 30, 2016.

1. jonny301 macrumors newbie

jonny301

I know MacBook and iPad Pro are running on two different operating systems, but I'm in the process of buying a new laptop, which obviously getting a MacBook is ideal. But with the iPad Pro and the attachable keyboard, it is almost a laptop. And with data storage like iCloud and Dropbox available, finding locations to store info is not a problem. And with Apple Music and Spotify available, not having a location to store music is okay since everything is streaming. So this makes me question if getting an iPad Pro is more ideal than getting a MacBook. And with the new Pro out, I don't think I would use it to its great potential. What do you think is ideal. MacBook or IPad Pro

2. Cascades42 macrumors 6502

It really depends on your use case. If you're on the road a lot I'd go with the iPad Pro with cellular. If you take notes on paper then the iPad Pro with a pencil is amazing.

3. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

As stated by the previous poster, it really depends on your needs and use cases. Perhaps you can list them here, and we can see how those needs could be met with an iPad?

4. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

I would never ever live with a crippled OS called IOS when I can have a fully functioning computer for the same price. The price as well as the dimensions of an iPad Pro with its keyboard and pen is pretty much the same for a similarly specced MacBook, which runs macOS, can run virtualization software, and even Windows if you want. Whereas the iPad Pro is just a big iPad with pen support.

To each his own.

5. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

Despite the hate on iOS, an iPad is very capable.

It depends on your usage, but I am unable to go without some type of traditional machine so if I had to choose, I'd choose a MacBook. However, I use both:

I hand writing math solutions on my iPad and annotated PDFs with the Apple pencil all the time. While I could do this on a Mac, it would be a bit clumsy and awkward. I browse, play light games, and work away from home and take notes on my iPad. I use my MacBook when managing student data on Canvas, running windows for a piece of software, and when I need to do heavy work (3 screens, 12 windows, a browser with 15 tabs, 2 pages files, and a PP file). While I could do this on an iPad, it would be tedious, time-consuming, and awkward.

Best tool for the job thing, but if I had to chose one, it would have to be the Mac because a MacBook can still do more.

6. Nick11Mac macrumors 6502

Nick11Mac

Using the iPad Pro for just about everything at home. So nothing work related though I keep learning how it could be used even more. Still, I tend to bring out my MacbookPro for more work intensive uses involving docs, using Word for Mac, and such.

7. Mercaptan macrumors regular

To echo all the comments about it depending on what you do on a laptop. Anything involving document editing, file manipulation, UNIX, etc., usually means a desktop is needed.

8. ivanwi11iams macrumors 65816

ivanwi11iams

...based on some of the responses above, I'm now thinking about upgrading from an iPad Air II, to an iPad Pro, with the keyboard and a Pencil.

Now trying to weigh the cost of that, versus either an MacBook Air or MacBook 2016 (albeit the newly release Macs are PRICEY!)

9. jonny301 thread starter macrumors newbie

jonny301

I totally agree with you. Spending extra money for keyboard and pen (replacement of a mouse) for the same price is not ideal. But thank you for the advice.

10. noshooz macrumors member

noshooz

After seeing the astronomical prices on the new MBPs I implemented Plan B in replacing my 2010 15" MBP: I got the iPad Pro 12.9" with the Zagg Slim Book keyboard case. No regrets at all. Total cost: $1180.

11. jonny301 thread starter macrumors newbie

jonny301

Yeah, I think I'll be going with the MB. Too bad Apple didn't mention a new MB this year. As much I would like to have the Touch Bar, I don't think I'll be using the Pro to its potential even the cheaper of the three. Thanks for your help.

12. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

There already was a new MB earlier this year.

13. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

Same price? LOL, no. It seems your math skills might be "crippled". And the iPad is a "fully functioning computer", so now I'm also questioning your technical knowledge. We're off to a great start.

There is no "similarly specced (sic)" MacBook. It's apples and oranges. Two different operating systems, workflows, form factors, storage, and input methods.

And why would I want to use one outdated operating system (OSX) to run a second outdated one (Windows). Head meet wall.

OP: use the right tool for your task. Gain some understanding of how both of these tools are used. You can safely ignore childish ignorant responses like those from @bingeciren.

14. bingeciren, Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2016

bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

When I gave my 2012, 11" i7 2.0GHz 8/256 Air to my son this summer, I was faced with decision to make: either I was going to buy another maxed out 11" Air or go for the new MacBook. Seeing the death sentence for the 11" Air on the wall, I decided to go for the 12" MacBook and to be on the safe side I ordered the 1.3 GHz m7. So far, this machine exceeded my expectations and I'm not missing my 11" i7 Air.

I also use my iPad Mini4 for short travels and bed side reading / surfing, but for extensive use of Excel, Word and composing emails with screen shots and editing PDF documents with inserts or using multiple scalable windows on the screen to exchange information between them, I would never even dream of using an IOS device. Multitasking on IOS is a joke.

I know, not many people like the car analogies but here is one: iPad and MacBook are like a car and a motorcycle. They both have uses but neither is a substitute for the other IMHO.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 31, 2016 ---
    Well M. Gustave, you seem to be the one here with a childish, ignorant, unnecessary and uncalled derogatory response.

I wonder since when Windows and macOS became outdated. Majority of businesses are running Windows and macOS is trying to gain grounds on Windows.

As for being ignorant, I have been working with computers as an engineer, programmer and adviser since 1981. I wonder what are your credentials for making such intelligent assessments.

iPad Pro and MacBook have similar overall system performance according to Geekbench tests and reviewers, with comparable memory and storage capacity, hence the specs being similar.

As for my "crippled" math. MacBook 12" with 256GB storage is $US 1200. iPad Pro with 256 GB storage is $1000, smart cover is $169 and the pen is $100.

Since you are so much better at math than I am, you can do the addition.

15. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

None of those is difficult to do on an iPad. Maybe instead of "dreaming" about not using iOS, you should spend some time learning how to use it.

Since iOS 9, for me. Others may say earlier.

Businesses move at the pace of a glacier when it comes to technology purchases. The last investment bank I worked for started to study transitioning to Windows 7, in late 2013. Their tech choices have next to nothing to do with capability, usability, etc.

If someone called himself a carpenter, and called a nail a "crippled screw", what would you think? Me too.

But the keyboard cover and pen are accessories, not required. The iPad is flexible, with a fully functioning onscreen keyboard and touch input if you prefer them, unlike the crippled MacBook.

16. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

Read OP's starting argument. He is comparing MacBook and iPad pro with its accessories.

I find it hard to lower myself to your level. There is a saying that goes something like this "do not argue with an idiot, others may not see the difference".

Good day sir, enjoy your IOS 9.

17. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

Again, you have nothing substantive to add to this discussion. I see a pattern.

18. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

The rMB is $1300 and why are you adding the cost of the Pencil to the iPad? There is no Pencil alternative for the rMB. You might as well start adding other accessories like a case, Pencil holder, Bluetooth speaker, etc. if you want to drive the price of the iPad up even more.

And that's not even taking into account that you don't need Apple's keyboard either. Even if you can't deal with the on-screen keyboard and absolutely need a physical one, there are plenty of Bluetooth keyboards that are much cheaper than the Smart Keyboard.

19. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

Read the OP's starting post! He is comparing MacBook vs iPad Pro with its accessories. However, you are right, MacBook is $1300. My mistake.

20. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

Considering I can't backup my iPhone to an iPad I need an actual computer.
    Given the price I would rather buy a low end Surfacebook. Then I could replace my iPad and MBP with 1 device.

But really my actual plan will be to upgrade to a MacMini with a 1TB HDD min (prolly 2TB) to use as the iPad, iPhone, and photos backups. But that won't be until they update the macMini in the spring.

21. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

You can fully backup your iPhone to iCloud. Desktop iTunes hasn't been required for many years.

22. AppleWes macrumors 6502

AppleWes

What worries me is the random "Connect to iTunes" error that may happen after iOS update or major system crash/corrupt file. Thankfully most users will never run into that situation but there's always a chance.

Unless there's still a way to restore from iCloud or setup as new device to bypass that screen? Even recently when iOS updates first come out sometimes it will cause that error for a number of users.

23. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

Yes. I know. But iCloud cost money per month. I would rather not pay $20 a month. I know that is cheaper in the kind run, but I feel more secure with my files on a local PC that I can backup manually.

Now! Get of my lawn! (Angrily shakes cane)

24. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

Yea sure, you can back up to iCloud but try backing up 128gb to cloud, let me see how long it takes and what kind of an iCloud space you have to upgrade to. Don't forget that ADSL being assimetric, meaning that your upload speed will be significantly slower than your rated download speed, you will be there forever. Try backing your health data and passwords as you do with encrypted iTunes backups and let me know how it goes.

M. Gustave lives in a different world and his computing needs are different than yours and mine.

I also would like to know how to crate different user accounts on an iPad, how to boot from an external drive to test different setups without endangering your main computer and so on.

Oh, by the way, I do type this on my iPad, so I have no problem with IOS. It is perfectly fine for simple tasks.

Just like I walk or take my bicycle to the corner store but to commute to work I use a car or whatever else is out there.

25. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

This isn't true... Apps are not backed up, only their data. So if you try to restore from the cloud after an app is no longer in the store, you are SOFL... I had this happen, luckily I had a backup on my PC which I restored from.