Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPad Pro or Surface Pro which would you prefer if you had to pick one?

• iPad Pro

• Surface Pro

Results are only viewable after voting.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
I know they both have some different uses but overall which one do you like better ?

What advantages and disadvantages do you see of the one you pick or both of them.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I have a 16GB i7 Surface Pro 7 and an M1 12.9" iPP and if I could have only one device of the two, I'd go with the SP7 hands down, without a second thought. It's just a more capable device all around and has functionality I want that the iPP doesn't have.

Edit: Some of my reasons -

Better multitasking
Works with peripherals that iPad doesn’t
Better interfacing with attached monitor (I do have Stage Mgr on the iPP)
Full capability Office365 suite
Better Digital Asset Mgmt (DAM) tools (I have a library of 70,000 photos)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jezak and VaruLV

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
As @sparksd listed all the advantages the iPad Pro has over Surface Pro… there’s simply no contest. Even though the Surface Pro is the more accomplished device… I still favor the iPad Pro. But that’s primarily preferences on my part. I use the iPad Pro as a gateway to the Apple ecosystem (no iPhone nor Mac)… because undoubtedly Surface Pro is the better computing device.

Reactions: Jezak

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2013
If I am choosing between the two as a secondary device, I’ll pic the iPad Pro. Reason? Aspect ratio and battery life.

If I have to choose as a single/primary device, I’ll pick the Surface Pro. It’s a classic windows machine packaged in an innovative form factor and is far more capable and versatile than an iPad Pro for my purposes.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
I have tried 2 different models of the Surface Pro and returned all of them! My main complaint is the screen resolution looks so bad after using a iPad Pro or my MacBook.

For me, Widows does not work well with a touch screen.

Reactions: Pezimak and VaruLV

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
As other have said, as a secondary device the iPad is better, as a primary/only device, especially if it's also your work device, a surface pro is on another league, and only a minority of people could do everything, including working, on the iPad pro.
I mean, even many Windows haters would probably choose the surface pro, if the only alternative is the the iPad pro (again including as a work device, as outside work some people are fine even just with their phone).

Reactions: sparksd and Jezak

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Surface Pro for me, and in my case it is not even close. An iPad Pro is a much more powerful device, but with several constraints put in place by a Mobile OS.

I love my Surface Pro 8 - Speedy and capable of almost everything I throw at it, portable, and dock and turn it into a full workstation. I can't even imagine replacing it with an iPad.

For the guy complaining about the resolution, that's an interesting thing to say. The Surface Pro 8 resolution is 2880 x 1920 (267 PPI) pixels, 267 PPI and also support 120Hz and variable refresh rates. The 12.9 inch iPad Pro is 2048 x 2732 pixels (~265 ppi density), which means they're pretty much the same with a very slight edge going to the Surface Pro 8.

Last edited:

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
If you're trying to use one as a laptop replacement, the surface wins. If you're trying to use one as a tablet, the iPad wins hands down. For me, since I dont use windows anymore, I have a MacBook Air and an iPad Pro. Rather have one of each since they each excel in their own areas

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
For me the iPad is the way to go, but it all depends on what YOU do with your devices.

As far as advantages vs disadvantages, the only thing I envy about the Surface is that kickass kickstand.

I use Windows for work because my company makes me use it, and frankly using Office is the standard there so anything else may not be as good.

Otherwise, I don’t want to use Windows if I can avoid it. But if I had to, I’d use a 2-in-1 or convertible laptop instead of the Surface. To me it’s the worst of both worlds. It’s not very good as a tablet and there are better laptops.

At home, the iPad has replaced my iMac, MBP, and MBA entirely. I need nothing else.

Reactions: iPadified

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I know they both have some different uses but overall which one do you like better ?

What advantages and disadvantages do you see of the one you pick or both of them.
It's a bit of a loaded question, because I got to use both at work last year, and boy did I hate the HP Elite windows tablet that the school procured for us. Being so thin meant poor battery life, and bad thermals. The device constantly throttled, and excessive zooming resulted in numerous cases of screen burning out (because the processor was so close to the display) amongst my colleagues. Likewise, the form factor was pretty awkward. The detachable keyboard meant it was essentially a laptop with a broken hinge, making it awkward to carry around (I had to cradle it on my arm like a baby). The UI was generally quite unoptimised for touch and well, windows is still windows, with all its idiosyncrasies.

Another issue with enterprise devices is the general lack of software support (I remember having to open pdfs in Microsoft Edge just to be able to annotate on them).

In contrast, my iPad Pro had better battery life, portability, cellular connectivity, and I used the apps on it more (scanner pro, notability, camera, screen mirroring, lumafusion, just to name a few). I had airplay mirroring on my Apple TV years before my school finally invested in Miracast dongles for the laptops.

I can't get all my work done on an iPad (still need a PC for a lot of the stuff that I do as a teacher), but the reality is that my school laptop stays docked at my workstation to an external monitor and I often just go to class with my iPad (amongst other stuff). If I really had to choose, it would be a laptop but it would be a crappy experience indeed.

prisoner54

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
boy did I hate the HP Elite windows tablet that the school procured for us. Being so thin meant poor battery life, and bad thermals.
Not all Windows tablets are equivalent to Surface Pros! Hence the OP's question about Surface Pros.

At the moment my main work computer is an ARM-powered Surface Pro X. I love the build quality, the screen, the multitasking ability, and I can do 100% of my workload on it (including researching for and writing academic papers and books, using full-fat MS Office). I plug in to external keyboard, mouse, monitor, but can then whisk it away to a library or cafe and it weighs nothing. I really did want to transition over to an M1 iPad Pro, but it would not let me do technical type writing in the gimped Word for iPadOS.

Yes, the Pro X is slow and weak. But it multitasks properly, and the battery life is great. Would I like an iPad to do all the things I do? Yes, absolutely. But iPadOS is a frustrating mess still in terms of multitasking and UI. I'm not buying an iPad until they sort it out. I'm sick of Apple's artificial limitations.

Reactions: VaruLV and JCCL

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
For home definitely iPad. For office SP7. For teaching iPad, for fun and relax iPad. Who wants windows in bed:eek:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Not all Windows tablets are equivalent to Surface Pros! Hence the OP's question about Surface Pros.

At the moment my main work computer is an ARM-powered Surface Pro X. I love the build quality, the screen, the multitasking ability, and I can do 100% of my workload on it (including researching for and writing academic papers and books, using full-fat MS Office). I plug in to external keyboard, mouse, monitor, but can then whisk it away to a library or cafe and it weighs nothing. I really did want to transition over to an M1 iPad Pro, but it would not let me do technical type writing in the gimped Word for iPadOS.

Yes, the Pro X is slow and weak. But it multitasks properly, and the battery life is great. Would I like an iPad to do all the things I do? Yes, absolutely. But iPadOS is a frustrating mess still in terms of multitasking and UI. I'm not buying an iPad until they sort it out. I'm sick of Apple's artificial limitations.

Therein lies the contradiction for me. The iPad is without doubt more limited in functionality compared to a laptop, but what it does, I find it does very well (more so than a PC) and it has formed an integral part of my workflow.

It’s been ten years, and using the iPad still evokes more feelings of joy and wonder compared to windows.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
I personally voted for the iPad Pro only because I am going off the assumption of it being either a secondary device or not having the need for laptop/desktop. Like others have posted if you are going to need to constantly be within the file system and needing peripherals all of the time then I would lean more Surface Pro. If you need something more for emailing, browsing, occasional need to connect other devices and the ability (if able) to easily download shows/movies from Netflix and whatnot, this is a feature that I personally feel gets swept under the radar when it comes to these laptop vs tablet debates which if you are traveling being able to have some content available offline is great.

Edit: Lined out some incorrect info

Last edited:

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I personally voted for the iPad Pro only because I am going off the assumption of it being either a secondary device or not having the need for laptop/desktop. Like others have posted if you are going to need to constantly be within the file system and needing peripherals all of the time then I would lean more Surface Pro. If you need something more for emailing, browsing, occasional need to connect other devices and the ability (if able) to easily download shows/movies from Netflix and whatnot, this is a feature that I personally feel gets swept under the radar when it comes to these laptop vs tablet debates which if you are traveling being able to have some content available offline is great.

You can download Netflix & Amazon Prime videos on a Windows laptop using associated apps.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
Horses for courses..... for work I use Windows machines and one device would have to be SP but I have a 12.9 IPP and currently use this almost daily if im sitting somewhere other than my desk. I currently use Azure virtual desktop and just testing azure virtual workstation from the IPP. (virtual workstation is essentially a static VM that is enterprise managed) all accesible via the Remote Desktop app on IPP. If youve never tried it its worth a look. This gives me the flexibility to be able to dip into my corporate machines if I need to as well as having the M365 apps on my IPP. Then of course I have the IPP for my non work requirements.

rachislenska

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2014
it's hard to compare two. if u want a single device to do it all, a true laptop/ laptop replacement then its surface. if u want a tablet/ a consumption device/ already have a Mac or a pc then its without question an iPad.

Reactions: max2

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
You can do so much more with a Surface than an iPad and it can truly be used, albeit with compromises, as a all in one device.

Really depends on use case but if you had to have a tablet that does everything the Surface is the way to go.

All of these devices make big compromises. If you just wanted the fastest, most fluid and longest battery life then 12.4 iPad Pro would win easy.

Reactions: sparksd and max2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.