All iPads iPad Pro: we know it's coming, but when?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ApplePhy, Oct 30, 2014.

1. ApplePhy macrumors 6502

We know Apple has shifted its resources towards iphone6/6+ production to meet demand, and decided to put the ipad pro on hold.

When do you think this new mythical ipad is coming? Concurrent launch with AppleWatch? After?

There has been a lot of negative press about how poorly the ipad is doing as of late (little innovation, no iOS specific features for ipad, worsening customer satisfaction in recent surveys, declining sales, etc...).

Feel like Apple has something spectacular in store for the ipad line in 2015, shifting its focus almost entirely on the iPhone for 2014.

I've decided not to upgrade to the Air2 (I have an Air1). Couldn't justify. But I would definitely upgrade to the pro version.

2. iF34R macrumors 6502a

iF34R

That's all rumor to say the least...

3. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

I think the Air 2 is arguably the biggest upgrade to the iPad line since it launched.

I was happy to upgrade my Air to the Air 2. More than twice as fast, 18% thinner, better display, better graphics, etc.

The Air 2 is a monster. Honestly, if the iPad Pro is released sometime in the Spring next year it won't have anything over the Air 2 save for display size. They'll likely still use the A8X (most powerful mobile processor out there), same 2GB of RAM, same storage options etc. Anything done will be on the software side and the Air 2 will get it as well.

Given the fact that iOS 8.1, 8.2 and 8.3 have all been in production, my guess is (after 8.1 adding Apple Pay) 8.2 adds Apple Watch support and 8.3 is an iPad specific update to coincide with the release of the iPad Pro - perhaps the March time frame like the iPad used to be in.

4. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Im guessing mid to late 2015 for the pro. Im hoping it's sooner, but Im having that october feeling for this one...

5. neteng101 macrumors 65816

I'm not so sure if its coming. Could they just release a 12-inch retina MBA, and forget about the iPad Pro? Possible.

6. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

I wouldn't be surprised if they throw that stuff out just to keep the other tablet makers hopping.

I honestly do know who the market would be for.

They would have announced it at the last Keynote.

I'd much rather have a 10 inch, 16x9 (like MS Surface) iPad/Mac Air hybrid.
    Have it run iOS and OS X (there is actually a rumor about this).
    Have actual I/O ports
    Keyboard/Case.

That is something worth paying a premium for.

Not a 12inch 4:3 gigantic iPad Air

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

We do?

8. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I am sure we will see the Pro one day, maybe next year but there is no one who know when, especially here!

9. RLesko macrumors member

I vehemently deny that these are things we "know"

10. ApplePhy thread starter macrumors 6502

11. MacDarcy macrumors 65816

I think the ipad pro rumor was a case of mistaken identity. Perhaps a mashup of the upcoming 12" MacBook and the just released iPad Air 2 with the A8X chip.

12. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

13. Rockies macrumors 6502

I would rather have a retina display Macbook Air.

14. neteng101 macrumors 65816

Unicorns don't exist... oh wait... :eek:

15. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

I feel like I am reading a keynote slide.

More then twice as fast? Show me where.

I am all for upgrading from old iPads to the new Air 2 but let's not pretend that it is some huge technological leap from the Air 1.

It is the Air 1, with a faster processor (that isn't utilized yet), smaller battery, a little thinner, and Touch ID.
    The only thing that has any interest to me is the 2GB Ram, but like the processor, I have yet to see any real world benefits.

It has the power to run at higher rez and do true multitasking but that would mean fragmenting the iOS platform which they don't seem to want to do.

16. reetcher macrumors member

" The Air 2 is a monster. Honestly, if the iPad Pro is released sometime in the Spring next year it won't have anything over the Air 2 save for display size. They'll likely still use the A8X (most powerful mobile processor out there), same 2GB of RAM, same storage options etc. Anything done will be on the software side and the Air 2 will get it as well."

I apologize and don't mean to hijack this thread off on a different tangent.

Is there any chance that a Pro version might be able to accept HDMI input so the tablet can operate like a field monitor for a cinema camera? Also any chance that it could have a thunderbolt connection to work as a field recorder writing ProRes files to an external hard drive? I am neither a computer person nor keep a breast of technologies possibilities but it would be great if a tablet could do more work related applications.

17. MagicHAM macrumors regular

MagicHAM

Pretty much this. And if an iPad Pro was likely to come then i would like to see then mix Mac OS X together for it(i know stupid thinking) as it is now iPads are really consumable devices with the basics of it being productive.

To be fair, iPad Air 2 is pretty much up market with the specs, so i would think Apple wouldn't gain anything by releasing iPad Pro with the same specs, unless they up the anty for this so called "iPad Pro".

But honestly who wants to carry around a monster of an "iPad Pro", means bigger and more heavier for the consumer too.

18. reetcher macrumors member

I see the benefit of a truly Pro version as not having to lug around a Macbook Pro. It does seem like so many tools today have controllers & or accessory monitors that if a Pro Tablet could step up we wouldn't need to carry all those additional items.

I don't see the Pro version being a tool so someone could read an electronic periodical on the subway.

19. RockSpider macrumors 6502a

No good looking at Apple for any of those things, they can't even put a USB port in their tablets let alone anything else.
    If you want to do real work look at the Surface Pro 3 or any number of good Windows tablets.

20. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

http://browser.primatelabs.com/ios-benchmarks

Air MultiCore = 2663
    Air 2 MultiCore = 4440

Not quite double, but considerable nonetheless. If we're talking longevity, the Air 2 will be viable for a lot longer. For me that was the key. I wanted the next iPad I got to last a long time and the Air 2 has everything I could want (TouchID is a big deal for me, the processor and RAM are going to be good for a while, and I upgraded to the 128GB).

You're acting like developers should already have created apps that take full advantage of a processor that was released a week ago. Give them time. Pixelmator is already there and by all accounts is amazing - full desktop photo editing software on an iPad. Games will follow suit, more companies will move their apps over/beef them up. These things take some time.

As for the Pro - my point was that any iPad Pro that's released anytime soon will likely contain the same internals as the Air 2. The only differences (if any) would come on the software side, which my Air 2 will get and handle as well.

Hence why I saw the Air 2 as a great upgrade, even from the Air.

Compared to the iPad 3 (the iPad the OP has), its FAR thinner, FAR lighter, MUCH faster (10x faster), has TouchID and a 128GB option that costs as much as the 64GB option for the 3rd gen.

I don't know what else you want hardware wise.

21. danthe93 macrumors member

danthe93

Can't wait for this. Really would like to see if multitasking will be implemented with the iPad pro!