iPad iPad Pro with USB-C?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Herbit, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Herbit macrumors newbie

I think it will make a lot of sense. There soon will be lot of compatible devices. One port to rule them all.

2. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Why just limit it to the iPad Pro. If they go into the iDevices with USB-C; it makes sense to go all in - iPod's, iPad's and iPhones.

3. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

They won't do that. The regular ipad and other devices won't ever get any USB port. I'd be nice but they won't do it.

The pro? Yes.

4. Serban Suspended

iPad pro will get for sure usb, beats stereo speakers bot and top, home button will be now on the side, you will get multi user config, like in windows or osx
    and split screen

These things are 99% sure

----------

and i think the usb-c will be the world standard charging in 4-5 years. So the microusb used with other android/win devices will come to usb-c

5. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

None of these sound like things Apple would do for the iPad

6. chukronos macrumors 6502

Do you think we just found out what the rumored iPad pro really was? The screen of the new macbook. I would love it if they would come out with a larger iPad. But, I am not so certain they will, now.

7. Zorlac macrumors newbie

iPad pro not happening, not with the newly announced macbook. Why the hell would I want an iPad pro, running iOS of all things when I could get a MacBook (which I have zero interest in btw) with a *real* keyboard that's attached and running OS X with 8gb ram and 256gb of SSD space? What would an iPad pro have over that? Stylus? Hah as if Apple would even. And while I think the price of the new MacBook is too much an iPad pro would cost nearly as much as the new MacBook, so again what point is there in an iPad prow now? Want a pro level tablet? Get a surface, and that hasn't exactly caught on fire yet has it?.....yeah apple is gonna go there..

iPad pro might have been a semi neat idea years ago but with the MacBook now it's just not a feasible idea. OS X ain't going to go touch anytime soon either.

8. anthorumor macrumors 6502a

Yes, this. It has to happen eventually.
    Besides, USB-C is faster so why not (some tablets already sport USB 3).

9. radioking, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015

radioking macrumors regular

The obvious answer is so they get a cut of every cable sold because it's proprietary. They could have done the same thing with micro USB, mini USB etc. a long time ago.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Agreed! Sound more like a wish list! I would be shcked if Apple were to just give us a file system to hold and keep files. USB would be a big plus on the Pro but I am not holding my breath! The thing will likely have no ports except USB-C for charging

11. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

No. Nor does it make a lot of sense.

The new Macbook received a USB-C port because it is a notebook. The iPad Pro will still be a mobile iOS device and therefore remain with a proprietary port.

12. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

+1 That would give the user full control. LOL

13. ChinaRye macrumors 6502

ChinaRye

Agree 100% on this. I see the "iPad Pro" getting it to differentiate it as a "pro" device along with the bigger screen, especially if they try to market it as a true laptop replacement.

14. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I wish I thought this was the reality, but... Apple hasn't done anything this radical in a long time. I don't see them abandoning the incremental approach at this point.

As others have pointed out, they get a cut of the proprietary cables they sell. AND, this separates the iPad line from the Notebook and Sub-notebook line.

This...

Yes. It separates the two devices.

You know, I wish I DIDN'T agree with this, but I think you are correct.
    The imposed limitations in IOS that are strictly designed to maintain Apple's iron grip on the ecosystem is frustrating at times.
    There are so many examples of the things that would be simple and easy for Apple to implement, but are deliberately crippled that it would take a long time to chronicle them all.
    My latest frustration is the way back-ups work. Or don't...

15. JoeRito macrumors 6502a

JoeRito

iPad Pro has been shelved.... Just none of us know it yet. Missed its window of opportunity. You snooze, you lose bruh.

16. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I disagree. I think that Apple is working on the underpinnings of such a device... getting the hardware and OS ready. Then there are the accessories (like perhaps an active stylus) and apps that will showcase those features.

It took them quite a while before they produced the iPad mini... and that was after the market was flooded with 7-8" Android tablets. If there was such a thing as a window of opportunity being closed, that would've been a prime example... but it wasn't. :)

17. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

The Macbook is basically just an iPad that runs OSX, has a full keyboard and trackpad, and no touch input... so no, it's not really an iPad. It's just a really limited Macbook which has the ultimate Apple ideology applied.

18. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

No it isn't. Not even close. The only things they have in common is an Apple logo, aluminum case, and a screen that displays things.

19. Traverse, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015

Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Sracer is right.

- iOS vs OS X
    - Arm A8X vs more power Core M
    - Ability to run Windows
    - Full Multitasking vs freezing background apps
    - 12" vs 9.7" display
    - 8GB of RAM vs 2GB
    - 128GB max storage vs 256GB standard storage
    - Plug-n-play USB support (albeit with an $19 adaptor) vs special accessories and specific apps
    - Fully accessible file system vs half-implemented iCloud Drive kinda sorta file structure.
    - Mouse support vs no mouse support

It's much more than "an iPad with a keyboard." Believe me, I use an iPad with a keyboard a few days a week at school.

20. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I don't disagree, if the ipad has a single port, why not make it a port that does everything, even if the OS is not yet capable of interacting with it. The USB-C could be a lightning replacement in the future. Apple has the ability to actually improve the functionality of the iPad without compromising the single port, or their thinness obsession.

I personally would be a little upset if they did do that and move away from lightning just a few years after it was introduced, because it would make my hardware 'obsolete, in a sense. But I'd be glad that they'd be improving the capabilities of the iPad if they went that route. It has so much potential! But iOS would need some major overhaul.

21. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

The lightning connector gives Apple more control over iOS accessories which is arguable a safer way to do things.

22. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

I suppose the way I worded my comment was a bit confusing.

23. gregvet macrumors regular

gregvet

24. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I don't see Apple replacing the lighting connector because they would be forgoing much of their control over the iOS ecosystem. With USB-C being a standard, you'd have dozens of [poorly] made accessories that could pose a potential security risk.