iPad iPad pro x Macbook Air 12" conjecture

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Cameron-McA, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Cameron-McA macrumors newbie

Having looked at some circling rumours regarding the possibility of an "iPad pro" with a display stretching to an enormous 12.2 inches and a new "ultra thin" retina Macbook air model also spanning around 12 inches placing it directly in-between the two existing screen sizes I had a thought which may not be uncommon: "What if they're the same thing?".

Here's my reasoning: if I were a multi-billion dollar company who sold obscene numbers of the current two models of Macbook Air as it stands be it: to students, to businesses, or for regular home use why would I make a new model which would, in essence, make the current two obsolete? The main driving points of the 11" Air are it's size and weight in comparison to the rest of Apple's Macbook lineup and the 13" model manages to retain that somewhat whilst allowing designers etc. a larger amount of screen real estate. Why then would anyone think it a good idea to negate the selling points of both the 11" and the 13" by creating a model which, from the rumours in the article, has a screen size just shy of the 13" model though and uses approximately the same size enclosure as the 11" whilst reducing weight even more. It seems like they would be leaving their past products behind in the dust, a procedure I'm aware Apple are not averse to.

The "iPad pro", however, seems like an idea worth investing time into because the large tablet market already exists and "larger than average" tablets are not uncommon products nowadays. But what if the ideas behind the "iPad pro" weren't simply to make a brand new, "bigger than bigger" if you will, iPad? I put it to you that Apple may be working on something similar to the Windows Surface, a tablet like design with an obscenely thin detachable keyboard/trackpad assembly which claims to deliver PC like performance. I believe, and this is solely conjecture, that the "ultra slim design", mobile device like choice of colours, lack of a backlit Apple logo, and missing MagSafe charging port of the proposed 12" Macbook Air only exist because it is not a MacBook at all.

In the article surrounding the 12" MacBook Air the writer suggests that the device would use low power consumption processors, a "fanless design", C type USB ports, and a redesigned trackpad without buttons (meaning it would only support gestures much like the keyboard present on the surface). These factors would allow them to make an iPad like design which delivers almost computer grade performance in the same way the surface can.

I would love to hear your thoughts on the matter;
    Do you think it would/wouldn't happen?
    Why do you think it would/wouldn't happen?
    If this product did exist would you buy it?

12" Macbook Air article:
    http://www.macrumors.com/roundup/retina-macbook-air/#intel_core_m_processor

iPad pro article:
    http://www.macrumors.com/roundup/ipad-pro/

Information on the Windows Surface:
    http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-gb/products/surface-pro-3

And it's keyboard:
    http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-gb/accessories/surface-pro-typecover

2. Bheleu macrumors 6502

Had similar thoughts...

If you have an iPad Pro, that's likely a mighty fine better than retina screen.

Next iOS has been doing a Bluetooth dance for more data into / out of it for more "devices."

If you pop on a keyboard with real world interface connections ie. dock / hub, then you effectively have a modern marvel of a notebook.

Who is to say you cannot slap a keyboard with other co-processing hardware that streams all that data out to the
    "display" - iPad Pro; "TV" - :apple:TV; screen - :apple:3D Projector; small screen - :apple:PocketProjector.

3. Cameron-McA thread starter macrumors newbie

My thoughts were rather more towards a "hybrid" type system which allows you to use the keyboard/trackpad attachment and thus the whole screen to perform business tasks like building databases and other businessy things that would require the whole screen when necessary like a laptop would. "Hybrid" systems would also allow you to remove the keyboard or fold it back like the "yoga" does to have the tablet like aspect when that is necessary.

Again this is all purely conjecture born from my lack of understanding of exactly why a 12" macbook air is worth, in my opinion, ruining the 11" and 13" models

4. Nausicaa macrumors 6502a

There are plenty of issues Apple would need to resolve on the software side (and I, for one, would love a touch friendly OSX UI), but the hardware for such 2 in 1s is another problem. No one has really figured out how to do it well yet, IMO.

There are a number of solutions manufacturers have used - starting with a laptop keyboard with big pin connectors that lock into big holes in the side of the tablet. Effect is the keyboard base looks weird without the tablet attached and the tablet itself has large holes along one side. Not great. Sony has tried various sliders which are way overwrought, mechanically. Dell has the screen flipping inside the bezel, which also looks silly and offers questionable stability. Microsoft developed the kickstand, which makes actual lap use difficult, and is again a slightly overwrought mechanical system. Lenovo has the Yoga line which just flips the screen back on itself - probably the best solution, but then you're still gripping a keyboard on the backside when used as a tablet.

I just can't think of an elegant way combine the hardware of an iPad with an Air, and most companies can't seem to either. I guess I would be happy if Apple developed touch friendly OSX and axed the keyboard altogether. If I need a keyboard I'll connect via bluetooth.

5. Cameron-McA thread starter macrumors newbie

You raise some very good points, some of my friends own the "hybrid system" devices and I would agree that the port issue is a big one! Maybe a clip, like the "origami workstation", which attaches to the current Apple bluetooth keyboard and allows the device to sit neatly and comfortably held in place would suit better. But then all you're really making is a big iPad with OS X capabilities and a funny clip mechanism, doubtless the keyboard would have to be bought separately.
    Possibly even a system like the yoga has except the keyboard sits inside a rotating frame which allows you to have the keys facing towards the back panel of the screen when in "tablet mode" could work but that's not very Apple IMO

6. Cape Dave macrumors 65816

OP, we think alot alike. Here is my take:

I think it will be a 12 inch Pro iPad with a detachable keyboard. When attached, it will have an OSX like OS that will work with a mouse or trackpad.

Then, when removed, it will be IOS.

A perfect blend of portability, usability and productivity! Apple can do it!

7. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

I have both the sony duo 13 and the surface pro. they are both excellent and simple to use hybrids.

8. Nee412 macrumors 6502

I doubt Apple are going the hybrid route. It just doesn't seem to fit with their current OS structure. If they wanted announce something that different to their current product line they would almost certainly have to wait until WWDC. Just for the OS changes alone.

Does it really matter what Apple does regarding adding a keyboard to the iPad though? Whatever happens, thanks to the stunningly powerful iPad Air 2 it's obvious the iPad Pro will be more than capable enough for most people. Tablets suit some people and laptops suit others. Those that want something inbetween will have a mass of third party keyboards to pick from. Most of which will be full size like a MacBook purely because of the sheer size of a 12+" iPad.

What I'm more interested in is the possible introduction of an official Apple stylus.

9. iPadDad macrumors 6502

iPadDad

I think the plan at Apple is to continuosly evolve IOS, but there is definitly room for a larger display.

IOS is the most advanced mobile operating system in the Market, i dont believe the average consumer knows how to use the majority of IOS's features.
    Apple have been perfecting IOS for years, i think as time goes on it is going to continue to become more advanced with more complex features. I just dont think people need OSX on a tablet when IOS can run the sister Apps and many functions of OSX. I cant see Apple creating a whole new OS when they have IOS.

I actually believe IOS is the best operating system in World.

I think a bigger screen and a few more features regarding sharing between OSX and IOS would make notebook users feel alot more comfortable to working from a tablet.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I have great hopes for the iPad Pro but fear the Apple will not allow it to do all it could do. We need a file system to download and upload files to, just like a regular computer. A SD card reader would be another great addition.

I would love to see a seperate keyboard like the Surface Pro!

I bet neither will be included unless Apple is really ready to make a change!

Time will tell.

11. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

For major data input, I currently use an Apple keyboard with my iPad Air 2. One of my great frustrations is the need to use the touch interface for input, and the related difficulty of getting the on-screen keyboard to pop up when I want to use an emoji or something similar.
    I'd like to see Apple address this seemingly simple issue with their own keyboards before I have any faith in their ability to introduce a fully functional hybrid.

12. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

I'm not too sure with that. I think it they would just make a mouse friendly iOS, rather than a touch friendly OS X. People love iOS because of its simplicity, and I think that Apple will try to blend the productivity of OS X into it.

13. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Apple is hearing everyone to accept iOS as the desktop os. Eventually everything will run on a processors with less ram and the lone of pro vs consumer will dump,y be spec differences of devices like an iPad but speeded like MacBook

I just don't think apple plans on keeping a series of computers going. To me they're just working on their processors and pro level software.

I mean. Does any home user need more than an iPad. (I'm not talking about photographer videographers or semi pro people)

The one thing missing is expandable storage. Plug a drive in to iOS and build a my files app. Boom merged.

14. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I had the same thought. But, they would need to find a way to merge the file systems so I can be working on a pages document with the keyboard attached and then unplug and work on the same pages document in tablet mode.

15. Billy95Tech Suspended

Actually Android is the best, most advanced and the most populer OS.

16. Nee412 macrumors 6502

You're on the wrong site.