iPad Ipad pro?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Bigboiiiii, May 5, 2015.

1. Bigboiiiii macrumors member

Lets Speculate... Will it actually have a stylus (I sure hope so), will it run full Mac OS? Will it just be an over sized ipad?

In my mind, even though I may get flamed for this opinion, I am hoping it is something very similar to the Microsoft Surface Pro, just better.

2. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

I think it will have a stylus, one way of differentiating it from the current iPads being sold. In that way, I don't expect them to bring the stylus over to the other iPad models.

3. subjonas, May 6, 2015
    Last edited: May 6, 2015

subjonas macrumors 6502a

I think/hope it will have an optional DIGITIZER. I think it's important to make that distinction. A stylus seems to be mainly used for basic interfacing, which I think everyone agrees is better done with touch. A digitizer is mainly used for writing and drawing, which I think everyone agrees cannot be done (well) with touch.

I agree it's unlikely the digitizer will be backwards compatible with existing iPads. Try as they might, current third party styluses don't work well for one reason: iPads weren't designed for pen input. To make a reliable pen experience, the technology has to be designed and built into the iPad hardware as well as the digitizer, in order for the two to work properly in conjunction.

As for full Mac OS on the iPad, there are some major hurdles.

Mac OS X (and its applications) are not meant for touch input. Even if Apple redesigns OS X for touch, that still leaves all the countless OS X applications that have to be redesigned for touch by each of their developers. That's not happening any time soon. So it would mean the iPad would need a keyboard and trackpad attached pretty much 100% of the time, which just makes it exactly like a MacBook, and Apple already sells those.

If it was to be some sort of hybrid, running OS X and iOS, or OS X with just iOS apps, then the device would require two chips, since OS X (and its applications) run on x86 and iOS (and its apps) run on ARM. It would turn the iPad into a Frankenstein sort of a device, which I don't think Apple is too keen on making.

Not to mention running OS X requires a bigger battery than Apple probably wants to use in an iPad.

I think our best hope is that Apple beefs up iOS to have more OS X type features.

For me personally, if they just add split screen and multiple screen multitasking (with ample RAM), a proper file system (with apps that utilize it), and preferably a smart automatic method of keeping files in sync between the iPad and my Mac (without the use of cloud), plus the digitizer, then I'll be a very happy camper. But realistically for now, I'm just hoping for the pen and multitasking.

edit-
    I'm also really hoping for a USB-C port, not only for speedy file transfers, but also because it opens up the possibility of using the iPad as a secondary monitor with my Mac, perhaps even with pen input!

4. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

Here are my thoughts.

Agree. I probably wouldn't want one, but it would be a good option for people who like taking notes with a pen, or artists.

Yeah, it won't happen

Excellent point. :apple: just needs to give iOS some OS X features and give developers the chance to create apps unique to the new devices which take advantage of them.

Yeah this also won't happen, whatever anybody wants. What they will do is make some UI gimmicks for use with a trackpad (if trackpad support with this is introduced, which I hope)

This is a good point. Not just a battery hog, it's also a storage and memory hog. A dot upgrade on OS X takes as much storage as iOS 6, 7 and 8 put together. OS X freezes on 4GB devices, while iOS is ultra-smooth on 2GB. Hopefully a 'pro' device and its OS doesn't bring these monstrosities. But bear in mind that this device's battery will be HUGE. If, as I hope, the iPad Air 3 has crazy battery life, they increased the resolution on this device and added a processor which is a step up from the one on the iPad Air 3, that should be enough to make the battery life the same as what the iPad Air 3 is. Meaning if they added OS X it would still be alright. Not encouraging OS X by the way.

Yep

5. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

It seems to me to really make this thing "Pro", even if it gets no big IOS change it needs some form of multi/split window capability. To me, this is a minimum change that needs to be added.

6. Apples n' Stone macrumors 6502a

Apples n' Stone

One thing to add to the two-port theory that everyone has seemed to miss is that the original iPad prototypes (Some) featured two ports for diagnostics and possibly deciding the best lace for it. Sources: http://www.webpronews.com/prototype-ipad-with-two-dock-connectors-sells-for-10200-2012-05 and http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/prototype-ipad-with-dual-dock-connectors-appears-online-29-05-2012/

----------

Thus, this may not actually include two lightning connectors or a lightning and USB-C. I am not saying either of those is out of the question, however what would REALLY surprise me would be a complete USB-C switchover. Yet I would have probably said that about MagSafe 2 on the 2015 Retina MacBook.

7. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    NEVER ever, gave that a thought, now that'd be coo-well:cool:

8. JoeRito macrumors 6502a

JoeRito

And shared file repository!

9. knucklehead macrumors 6502a

Quote:
    Originally Posted by subjonas View Post
    edit-
    I'm also really hoping for a USB-C port, not only for speedy file transfers, but also because it opens up the possibility of using the iPad as a secondary monitor with my Mac, perhaps even with pen input!
    THIS!

The iPad doesn't need to run OS X, just interact with it seamlessly enough when connected ... and have freaking decent stylus support!!!!

All my Apple hardware (except iPhone) is going on 4+ years old, and there is NO reason to upgrade any of it untill some actual productive capabilities are added.

Apple has already milked the thinner thing far beyond what it's worth. It's wearing thin. (get pun?)
    They've trimmed everything down to the bone -- How about putting some productive meat back on that bone, and providing people with technology that actually empowers them?
    This is all getting old. Time for something new.

10. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

A digitizer is just a generic term. iPad already has it.

http://www.amazon.com/Digitizer-for...qid=1431577447&sr=8-4&keywords=ipad+digitizer

As far as apps, it shouldn't be too much trouble for Apple to run iOS apps on OS X. The biggest hurdle in my mind is OS X is such a pig. Windows trims down as OS X bloats up. Merging the product lines would be a huge motivator to improve OS X and it might actually perform well on top shelf hardware.

11. knucklehead macrumors 6502a

12. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

13. subjonas macrumors 6502a

Oops my bad, ACTIVE digitizer.

It was my understanding that for OS X to run iOS apps it would need to run them through some kind of emulator. And it was my understanding that emulators require a lot of extra processing power, and therefore battery. And if you're running the emulator at least half the time (since it is a tablet), it will make for very poor battery life.

14. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

I don't know enough about it but iOS shares architecture with OS X, right? I'm sure it's a challenge but make it happen, Apple! If nothing else, make it easy for developers to recompile their existing apps and offer them on the new platform with features people have wanted on iPad for a long time such as split screen.

15. touchstoned macrumors regular

touchstoned

It won't run OSX, because OSX is x86 only. It will probably run some custom form of iOS, probably with special features for the touch-enabled stylus.

Alternatively, the iPad Pro may just be a bigger, faster, 'normal' ipad. The Stylus itself may be usable on the Air 2 or even other iPads through having its own pressure sensor. In that case, it will run iOS like any other ipad.

16. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

There should be iOS 9 for iPhone/iPod Touch and Mini, iOSA for full size iPad, and iOSP for 12 inches iPad Pro because many of you wanted multi windows for Air/Pro.... :apple: