iPad problems appear to be mounting...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tigres, Apr 16, 2010.

?

How's your iPad's WIFI?

1. My wifi has yet to work correctly on iPad

6 vote(s)
    2.3%
  2. My wifi on iPad has it's moments, but all and all it's working ok

45 vote(s)
    17.2%
  3. My wifi is like a box of chocolates- Never know what I'm going to get

13 vote(s)
    5.0%
  4. Nope, all good- not a problem with iPad and wifi

198 vote(s)
    75.6%
  1. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

First, this is not a flame thread. It's meant for some open discussion and intelligent conversation regarding the potential threat the iPad's wifi issues could be bigger than Apple would like to share.

The below is from iClarified via WSJ that hit today. Princeton university issued a statement and ban on the device this week claiming iPad is the culprit regarding the below. Additionally we have heard that Israel has put a ban on iPad imports as well as actually confiscating them from some of it's citizens.

Via iClarified:
    "Apple's iPad has already been rejected by two top universities because of network stability issues, according to the WSJ.

Both George Washington University and Princeton University have rejected use of the device and Cornell University also says it is seeing connectivity problems and is concerned about bandwidth overload.

George Washington said that about half the devices which established a connection to their network were using a leased IP address "well beyond the time they should." Princeton stressed that its problem wasn't a WiFi issue.

Cornell said that the school is seeing networking and connectivity issues and is "working to ensure the iPad does not have devastating consequences to our network."

All the colleges are trying to find fixes for the connectivity, security and network problems but George Washington thinks it could take until next spring until the iPad is fully supported on its network.

Apple spokeswoman Teresa Brewer said she wasn't familiar with the schools' problems, although Princeton has reported its issues to the company. "

Source: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=8909

Coupled with the stock issues in the Pipeline (I.E. Michigan has no stock for 3 days apple or BB) and the lack of explanation at store level leads me to believe problem is becoming quite large. The threads on these boards alone speak of wifi related issues that are Perplexing to say the least; and really make little sense to the many owners who's devices are exhibiting the symptoms.

Speculate all you desire; but I think this wifi issue is indeed a pretty significant hurdle for this device and Apple.

What do you make of this?

2. epi117 macrumors 6502

3. fobfob macrumors 6502

Sounds like a bug. Not that big of a deal. I'm sure Apple are looking into it and will prolly fix over summer before OS4.0 is out.

So I'm not sure that I would call this a "hurdle". Any new device is likely to have bugs. Example, the latest iMacs sold well even with all the problems reaching front page news. Those issues (some of which were hardware problems) were not a hurdle to its success.

4. BacklitFirefly macrumors 6502

The stories I've read today regarding the bans by some universities have all stated it's just a matter of reworking things to ensure there is enough capacity for iPad in case too many of them stress the networks with heavy bandwidth usage, etc... And security issues seem to involve outdated network configurations, not any threats inherent in iPad itself. They just need to update things before they let iPads on. I'm sure they will work it out.

5. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Yeah, Apple is going to have to address this. Telling people to change their router settings is not a solution, especially in education and business environments as mentioned. Still hopeful it can be fixed in software. FWIW, mine is rock solid at home (Apple Airport base station), somewhat spotty at work (low signal, loses connection sometimes when laptops and iPhones work fine).

6. 3Pedals6Speeds macrumors member

I'm not sure being a really popular device that people want to use a lot is a "problem" with the iPad necessarily. A problem for the school, but not exactly a design issue with the device, which would be Apples problems. Sure, there appear to be some WiFi issues (multiple threads out here about those), but the 'facts' you seem to be more issues the popularity of the device are creating for bandwidth providers.

7. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

8. admanimal macrumors 68040

1. The Princeton issue is an OS (software) networking problem, NOT WiFi.

2. Princeton has not banned all iPads from their network, although they are recommending that people don't connect them yet, and they will block devices that have the problem.

It helps to get the information from the source:
    http://helpdesk.princeton.edu/outages/view.plx?ID=3095

9. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

If you have any links handy, please post them. Might be handy to rebut the occasional smug hater who waves reports like this around like a victory trophy.

10. diabolic macrumors 68000

Wasn't there a problem with some college wireless networks and the iPhone when it first came out? I seem to remember something about that and it ended up being a software fix that was resolved relatively quickly.

11. EddyP macrumors 6502

Thread title needs to be updated:
    "iPad complainers appear to not be connected with the facts"

12. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

I thought I had fixed my wifi problems. By changing my router settings and changing password with full reset it seemed to work. The last 5 or 6 days I have had no problems. But today for no reason my iPad starts to ask for my wifi connection password every five minutes. It's almost like something in the hardware of the iPad is automatically checking my wifi settings every five minuetes. It doesn't seem to deviate in the time either. By that I mean it's like clock work. It happens every five minutes, literally.

I am not sure if Apple programmed the device that way or what. But my iPad is definitely running a wifi check automatically. I have done everything I can think of. I have turned off push notification. I don't know why I did that but I did, just in case. I have reset my router settings so many times I just made the page my homage. The bad thing is that this resurfaced today and now my fourteen days to return are up. I guess I am screwed. Oh well the dfevice basically just became a real nice picture frame or very expensive paperweight until Apple comes up with a fix.

13. EddyP macrumors 6502

As an experiment, can you shut off your network security and see if still hiccups? Just curious.

14. racer1441 macrumors 68000

84% with no problem.

Yet the problems mount I say, mount!:rolleyes:

15. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

16. YayMayorBee macrumors member

YayMayorBee

I have honestly not had a problem, I am writing this reply from a wifi hotspot at a barns and noble and have a full signal. At home i run an airport extreme. Perhaps it's only issues if you have non-AT&T/apple wifi router?

17. tigres thread starter macrumors 68040

tigres

Hmmm, your right. Did not mean that title on the poll. Can't edit it, a little direction would be great, thanks.

18. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

If you can't edit it, report the post :)

19. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

Really!

20. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

With my home network, it asks for the wifi password about every hour. It's obviously a software issue and will be fixed with 4.1.1 relatively soon I'm sure. Btw, this is with a FIOS router and WEP security. Haven't bothered trying to change the router settings yet, since its just not that big of a deal.

21. FWW macrumors regular

FWW

WELP... According to your own poll... They DON'T appear to be mounting.

Have a nice one!

22. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

Nope! I have a Belkin Pre-N that's over 3 years old and no problem what so ever. AT work I use my Airport Express and again no problem whatsoever.

I think many problems are old 802.11 b/g routers and users settings like firewalls etc.... Of course that could never happen!--))) :eek:;)

23. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

yeah.

"network stability issue" ................ translation: "bandwidth usage is kicking our butt!"

24. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

So...not having enough iPads available in Michigan means that Apple has a problem with iPads?

Or:

1. iPads were popular and sold out
    2. Apple didn't send as many there b/c of population size
    3. iPads were popular and sold out...
    4. Repeat

25. Surely Guest

Surely

Yeah really.

Maybe if we hype this thing some more with provocative thread titles, it'll turn into a real problem.....:rolleyes: