iPad Problems & Replacement

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jaikob, Oct 21, 2011.

1. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

So I have always had problems with my iPad 2, the original I purchased launch night had terrible backlight bleeding. I exchanged it once, the same problem. I got a refund, and a month later placed an order hoping the problem would be resolved. I received that iPad, and AGAIN, bad backlight bleed. It is important to me because I watch videos on my iPad all the time, so I constantly see it. At this point I received another replacement. Right off the bat I noticed shadows around the sides, and how yellow the screen was. I kept this one for ~ 4 months because I needed it for work, no way I could get around that, Now that I have time to exchange it (note that up to this point I have documented everything with AppleCare, and I do have an AppleCare plan). I called and got an express unit today. Needless to say the home button is crooked and looks like a diamond, and the screen still looks like puke, but no shadows.

I called back and got a senior advisor. He said I am going to have to go through the return exchange routine until I get a good one, but he is taking responsibility.

I bit the bullet, called him back, and said I will make the 2 hours drive tomorrow to an Apple Store to finally put my issues to rest, and get a good one.

When I get there tomorrow, am I in the right to ask for a new unit? My friends iPads look fantastic, while it looks like someone took a "leak" on mine when comparing. These are all new units.

I have NEVER had so much trouble, even with my iPhone, iPad, iMac, and I am so jealous of my friends.

Thank you for your input, it is appreciated. I will be taking the box, guides, cables and charger. Everything is in great condition.

2. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Wow, quite a story. Three iPads (or is it four?) and they were all defective? With your track record, probably a good idea to open the replacement unit at the store, have it set up there, and then examine it closely - putting your coat over your head if needed so you can get a good look in dark conditions.

Hope it works out for you.

3. jaikob thread starter macrumors 6502

jaikob

haha yeah. I made sure to tell the senior advisor I am not leaving unhappy.

4. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Wow that sucks, I have heard a few of these stories where people have been through like 4 iPads too - just sounds ludicrous.

I bought an iPad 2 32GB 3G a few weeks ago and I have had issues with it. It's often telling me "SIM failure", and "could not access mobile data network". On top of that, my week old smart cover is starting to chip the side... It's pretty damn irritating.

I really want to get replacement, but the SIM failure isn't constant or replicable, so it would be hard to prove. The smart cover thing is clearly going to get worse though. I don't really know what to do.

5. jaikob thread starter macrumors 6502

jaikob

You could always take a screenshot of the error or record it :) I know AppleCare is really understanding and will replace it.

6. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

That is a fair point, I may do that. I didn't buy AppleCare though, do you get any free when buying a new product?

7. Hello... macrumors 6502a

Hello...