ipad programmer newbie

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by alexxx, Nov 12, 2011.

1. alexxx macrumors newbie

I really hope this is the correct forum where to ask these questions - if it isnt I beg your pardon!

I was interested to start programming for my ipad2, just for the fun of it - I dont intend to submit any app to the apple store... up to now I am experienced in C/C++ programming, under Linux.

What I'm most confused about is: I find stupid to pay the Apple tax of 99$ for the privilege to program my own device: according to what I read, if I dont pay, I can only run code in the internal simulator...
    Since I jailbreaked it, there is some alternative way to Xcode???

Again hoping this is the right forum,
    thanx for your help!!!

alessandro

2. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

Yes there is, since you can build IPA's, but you will have to google around for tutorials. since I don't think most of the developers here support that.

3. Vizin, Nov 12, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  4. firewood macrumors 604

I look at it the other way. (L)Users who can't code get their locked-up device for a $99 discount (discount already included the normal list price). Enrolling in the iOS developer program gets more useful devices (ones that are both moderately secure and that a coder run their code on).

Just like you have to pay more in some countries for a SIM-unlocked GSM iPhone.

5. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Well, since it is JB'd, you could look at this page, which explains how to set up gcc to run directly on the iPad. It will not be as convenient as using the XCode IDE, but at least you will not have to transfer your app from the computer.

The page says it is rather old, the installation is bulky, and does not seem to mention gdb, which could make development a little problematic. Perhaps there are other on-i solutions to be found. Google is your friend.

6. tutiplain macrumors member

I find an annual $99 far more acceptable than what one would have to pay for programming one of the high-end consoles like PlayStation and Xbox, which are practically out of reach for small or individual developers, because of annual fees surpassing thousands of dollars.

7. larswik macrumors 68000

Ya but Apple should not be charging $99 for you to try out Apps on your own phone. You own your computer, you own your phone. I can see the $99 Developer fee for access to the site for info and selling your Apps, but for your own phone should be no charge.

8. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

You own a piece of hardware that can run Mac OS. You do not own any of the software on it, it is licensed to you. Except, of course, anything you yourself write.

9. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

And why should there be no charge? If they can sell it, is it not their right to do so? Do you not like their price? Tough, Apple ran the numbers and concluded they would make more money by charging 100,000+ people $100 than they would if they charged 900,000+ people $10.

Is it cold and unforgiving of them?

Possibly.

Does it bring in money?

Yes, yes it does. In doing so, Apple can invest more money in making products, thus paying employees at other companies in addition to their own. Free market, it's a beautiful thing, no?

10. North Bronson macrumors 6502

Apple does not really make any kind of profit from the $99 fees. The purpose of the fee is not to generate revenue, the purpose of the fee (and the limit on the number of devices you can generate provisioning profiles for) is to prevent third-party developers from "rolling their own" App Stores and distributing renegade applications through ad-hoc provisioning profiles.

11. firewood macrumors 604

You are paying the $99 partially to prove it's your app (or one you have code to) and your own phone (or the phone of someone willing to give you their UDID number). That helps keep the riff-raff from putting random malware on peoples phones, including yours.

12. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

You forgot about keeping out alot of potential 13-14 year olds, trying to upload a Hello World to the market, which would make the review process even longer *sigh*

13. larswik macrumors 68000

The gripe was not the fee, I am fine for that when I upload to sell the App. You should be able to write and test your own apps on your phone without a fee. I wrote a simple app for myself to track checks I take to the bank for my business. But I have to be a developer to use it on my phone.

I think that is wrong.

14. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

If Apple could find a way that allows developers to deploy their apps to their own devices without it also providing an avenue for them to bypass the App Store, I think they'd offer it.

15. firewood macrumors 604

Write the app in HTML5 as a clippable web app. No developer certificates required.

Apple is trying to make sure it's really you trying to install your own app on your phone, and not some riff-raff trying to install something else.

16. Vizin, Nov 17, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013