All iPads iPad Purchase - A Cautionary Tale

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kayelm, Nov 3, 2013.

1. kayelm macrumors newbie

[Sorry this is so long, but I feel much better now. :)]

Please be careful when you purchase an ipad online - and yes, I mean from Apple.

Used my atm card to order Fri am. I know, this was dumb. BUT, Apple's system is a sorry mess. They charged my card early Fri morning, no prob. Then, decided to re-charge me piece by piece (ipad, apple care, adapters). When the ipad charge came through again bank blocked and send me fraud alert.

Called Apple, they were lost and confused, so I cancelled the order. Confirmed with apple that it was cancelled, and that they would credit my account for purchase. Bought another ipad (on cc this time).

Apple credited acct. So far so good. However, since then Apple has charged my account twice more for the ipad, and accessories. They charged a total of $1,705.96 AFTER order was cancelled and initial credit received. The final charge was today -- after I called and they promised to credit the second charge.

Please learn from my mistake, never do this. If they haven't credited my acct by Tuesday, I am cancelling the atm card and the fraud dept at my bank will dispute the charges.

Until today I really liked the ipad. Now it is just a reminder of this whole stupid mess. I will probably take it back to the store Mon or Tue and pick up a 4 on ebay when the dust settles.

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

Don't forget that ATM or debit cards are treated as a cash transaction. It not like a CC. As for the double charges don't sweat it either. It not like Apple is some mom and pop shop, you'll get your money refunded.

Also word to the wise. Don't get the bank to dispute the charges just notify them what happened. It was explained to me that if you file a dispute and Apple is trying to credit your account it may take longer to get your money back. ;)

3. puma1552 macrumors 601

Not sure why you thought it was dumb to use an atm/check card, that's how I buy everything online, really makes no difference with a credit card.

Sucks you got charged X times after the fact, but that had nothing to do with the card you used. My guess is they authorized the funds initially and then the actual transactions went through piecemeal. Really this is probably more a function of your bank's poor online banking system than anything; god knows most online banking systems do a poor job of reflecting purchases correctly until the whole thing is done and posted.

4. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Oh man, what a nightmare buying a new product too. Sounds like Apple really dropped the ball. I hope you at least got a free case or something out of that fiasco,

5. ucfgrad11 macrumors member

Haha they did the same thing with mine. Charged my debit card for iPad and Apple care. Then did a charge separately for Apple care. My bank called me a about fraudulent charges also and had to answer some questions. No big deal tho for me at least.

6. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

As Rodster mentioned, I think the problem is because with ATM and debit cards, you can't just put a hold on the card. Funds are withdrawn from your account right away. For me, better to charge to credit card and then pay off the statement balance in full.

7. FAsnakes macrumors regular

Kinda , your bad here.. Next time use a cc with the room to absorb provisional holds or whatever.

8. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I don't think lack of funds was the OP's issue. Still, I wouldn't want $1,700 withdrawn from my checking account even if I know I'll get it back eventually.

9. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

There is a difference. With a debit card, they take your money immediately. With a credit card, you get 30 days to pay it off before you have to pay any interest. Many credit cards also offer 1% cashback on all purchases.

10. FAsnakes macrumors regular

I don't think apple intends to fraud anyone (could be wrong here - giving the mega corporation the benefit of the doubt). .

Certain financial institutions treat credit card transactions differently. Running multiple authorizations to ensure funds will clear and they won't be stuck holding the bag - in a fraud situation.

Example - each time I get gas from chevron even only if I get 3 bucks, they put an authorization hold on my credit card for $100 bucks.

Debit cards - screw this up because they don't have a credit limit.. So when a merchant puts an authorization hold it removes cash from the checking account.

If you don't have enough cash in your checking account to cover these temporary authorization holds - you're going to get pissed off and create a thread on macrumors.com

11. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I know it's not Apple's fault. It's just the way debit card transactions are handled which is why as I've mentioned earlier, it's better to use credit cards rather than debit cards.

12. FAsnakes macrumors regular

Ok, my bad - I agree.. I feel bad for the guy.

13. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Talk to your Apple store rep and see if you can get to a reasonable solution like a free cover or something. Apple needs to do a better job of handling payments online. Ive always said this....and got shouted down on this very forum. Apple really needs to spend some more time working to make its internet software and services second to none. That is what is holding them back imo.

14. kayelm thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I will never use the ATM card again. But still, charging my account two additional times AFTER I cancelled the order is Apple's issue, and they don't really have an answer for me on why. And after talking to them numerous times, I have no faith that they can/will can resolve this easily. They are still sending me emails about problems charging my card on the cancelled order.

----------

Yeah, silly me. I didn't think I needed to have over $2500 (total held to date, although they have credited about a third back) for a $900 charge.

Really, all I want is for them to give me my money back, and I am afraid to transfer any more cash into my account in case they charge me again.