ipad purchase with gift card advice

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cardsdoc, Jul 13, 2016.

1. cardsdoc macrumors 6502

I have a strange scenario. We need an additional ipad as our current one is getting rather slow (original retina ipad) and more importantly we need an additional video source for our kids ( 3 yo twins) for an upcoming vacation/long car ride (Aug 6). It just so happens that an educational course I planned to purchase comes with a $500 apple gift card via email so I planned to use it towards ipad. Well I purchased course last night and only now do they tell you they will email gift card in 4-6 weeks, so after our trip and need for ipad. I'm assuming there is no way to retroactively apply a gift card? Assuming no would it be legit to purchase right before we go and then return and re-buy assuming the card comes within the 14 day return window? Any other advice? I'm not planning to buy any other apple products in the very near future.

2. sigomez macrumors regular

You can try talking to the Apple manager and explaining the situation, there may be an instance were they allow you to return it and apply the gift card once received. I noticed that with kindness apple employees are pretty cool people. Option 2 is to try and sell the gift card, chances are you will take a small loss but I am sure you might be able to recoup most cost on it.

Good luck.

3. cardsdoc thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I'll talk to apple manager and see what they say. Also now that you mentioned selling the gift card I just remembered my mother in law will be buying a new macbook in the next few weeks. If she is willing to wait maybe she can use card and reimburse me the money.