ipad purchase

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mehcas, Sep 24, 2010.

1. mehcas macrumors newbie

I am thinking of getting an ipad. I am hearing that there may be a newer model out in the 1st qt. of 2011. Should I wait of get the present one now?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Can you wait? As we don't know what the second generation iPad will bring, we can't give you any information about this. Either the current version suffices you or not.

3. mehcas thread starter macrumors newbie

I can wait. I hate to buy any apple devise that is about to be upgraded.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As Q1/2011 is still three to six months to go, it is not "about to be" upgraded. The first/current iPad was released in April, thus it is easy to assume, the next version will be released in March/April 2011.

5. mikechan1234 macrumors 6502

iPad is deffo worth buying now!! One of the best things I've bought this year!

6. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I agree, aside from my new iPhone 4 this has been the best purchase

7. Cosmo M3 macrumors regular

Cosmo M3

8. dave420 macrumors 65816

I just picked up my first iPad this week and I think it is worth it. It has lots of functionality that I find useful. I'm sure the next one will have some improvements as well (more RAM, and maybe an improved screen resolution are things I would look for).
    I'm just as happy being able to use it now, and not needing to wait six more months.

9. Maziar macrumors 6502

If you want to wait you can't every buy anything because there is always something around the corner.When the next gen iPad comes out, there will be rumors for a newer version and the cycle continues.
    Anyway,i love mine and i definitely recommend it,its a great media device

10. Deano27 macrumors newbie

I'd get one now they are superb ...wouldn't want to wait meself , A few weeks ok but months no chance

11. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Wait for the 7" that has the form factor like the current iPhone. It's going to be very cool.

12. Zcott macrumors 68020

This is only speculation, not fact.

13. mehcas thread starter macrumors newbie

Purchase

If the 7" comes out, will it have a camera and other upgrades without an upgraded 9"?

14. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

15. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I picked up the 16gb wifi model a few days ago. I knew about the upgrade but that is a long way away. If it is a much better model, I'll sell this one and buy the upgrade. I had an incentive in that my netbook was literally falling apart before my eyes.

16. GinoDotCom macrumors regular

Closer to 7 months actually. And hey who knows, maybe the iPad will upgraded every 18 months, not every 12. Apple just started shipping the iPad to other countries the other month, there's still some countries where Its not available.

17. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

I bought my 64gb as soon as they were released. Awesome device. No regrets.

That said, if I needed to buy a second one RIGHT NOW (mid product cycle), I'd minimize my exposure by getting the cheapest one I could find (16gb refurb, $449 at apple.com)

Nobody knows what's coming next.

18. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

This is definitely the best answer. Why waste your money on something that's going to be obsolete in less than 10 years?

19. 3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

Agreed, but I actually have found that the sweet spot is 11yrs. I never buy Tech before it hits that point. Every other version would just be a waste of my money.

20. merics macrumors member

I'd recommend you look hard into why you want or need an iPad. Remember back in the day when you walked in a computer store and was asked, "what do you want to do with it"? apply that same logic to your iPad decision making.

21. DSWoodard macrumors newbie

I'm in a similar situation -- re: buy now or wait...we plan to go live in France for a year in August 2011. I want to take an iPad vs a laptop. We'll make certain to rent a place set up for wifi. As an early adopter of tech, it is killing me to wait, but I think it may be worth it for us.

22. the-sandman macrumors regular

the-sandman

23. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

My biggest concerns are that the current RAM and processor are not good enough for multitasking. What does everyone think about the current gen for multitasking?

24. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

You already asked this in another thread. Processor is great and more memory would be nice - but it seems like the iPad can handle multitasking pretty well with the current specs it has.

25. saberahul macrumors 68040

The iPod 4 works very well and has the same specs. I don't see why the iPad will have any problems at all.