Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSingandiDance

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Just called my local Apple Store (Pentagon City, Va) and was told that it is indeed true that one must pay for the iPad with credit/debit card or check. The guy on the phone said "to prevent people from buying more than they need".

It's worthy to note that pre-paid cards are fine "as long as they match your ID".

Never thought I'd go through top-flight security just to get an iPad. This is turning me off completely.

Preposterous.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
soup_nazi.jpg

iSingandiDance

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Not really. They are still in a position of supply not meeting demand. As a consumer, I'd rather they limit how many people can buy. What's preposterous is someone being able to buy 5 or 10 of them to sell on eBay while the retail supply is still somewhat limited.
This is true, but think of it this way.

An eBay reseller recruits people to go out and buy iPads for him. They still are using their cc, what have you, but the iPad is going to him. They are still ending up in his hands. Granted, he had to go through an extra step to get them, but he got them.

While I still am left stranded because I can't pay cash for just one.

It's fair, but it really isn't.

mingoglia

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2009
I'm going to be heading out to the Apple store in a few mins to check on this myself. If they say cash only I may have to attempt to buy one with cash anyway and then raise a stink about them discriminating against those without credit cards. Those without credit cards are often times lower income folks. I for one am very anti-credit and buy just about everything in cash. It's not all that uncommon for me to go to the store and plop down $5k cash on a major purchase. I was however extremely disappointed and had to cave in and use a card to buy my MBP since it was a custom build and therefore I had to order it online.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I]If they say cash only I may have to attempt to buy one with cash anyway and then raise a stink about them discriminating against those without credit cards. Those without credit cards are often times lower income folks.

If one is that low income they have no business buying an iPad in the first place so the point is moot. We aren't talking bread and milk, we are talking about a $500 100% non-essential "toy." (Not to diminish the iPad, but it's not a necessity and I call all non-necessities toys).

normwood

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2008
In a house...duh!
If one is that low income they have no business buying an iPad in the first place so the point is moot. We aren't talking bread and milk, we are talking about a $500 100% non-essential "toy." (Not to diminish the iPad, but it's not a necessity and I call all non-necessities toys).

Clap, clap....clap....clap....clap!

Thank you for saying what I didn't have the testicular fortititude to say! :D

Steve

mingoglia

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2009
Appears as if the one Apple store by me that I went to allows cash.... I may check at the other one at some point.

mingoglia

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2009

I hardly think we can dictate who should or should not buy something. Yeah, likely irresponsible, but hey, we all do irresponsible things from time to time.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Crap like this will only happen when you abuse the system. The person buying all those was clearly not using them for personal use. Apple doesn't know or care if they are doing it for eBay (profit) or sending it to friends internationally.

Abuse the system and this is what happens. Apple decided to not allow them to purchase anymore, too bad. Don't be a douche.

99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of people will never have an issue with this. Its not even worth the QQ post.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Crap like this will only happen when you abuse the system. The person buying all those was clearly not using them for personal use. Apple doesn't know or care if they are doing it for eBay (profit) or sending it to friends internationally.

Abuse the system and this is what happens. Apple decided to not allow them to purchase anymore, too bad. Don't be a douche.

99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of people will never have an issue with this. Its not even worth the QQ post.

Yep. This

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Apple doesn't care if it upsets the consumer because they know there are no alternatives. So people will just wait until the restriction is lifted . Apple will freely preload every product with their own internet browser and mail programs and make it very difficult for other business to create their own for the Apple OS and or bar them from selling their products through the App Store.

NOW re read with I just wrote but replace the underlined words with Microsoft

Not really a fair comparison. Microsoft does not make computers. When you buy a Mac, you are buying their whole enchilada. I don't think a judge would say there's anything wrong with Apple forcing users to use their browser, etc. because they make the machines.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007

Excellent reply, makes perfect sense. You pwned that guy! :D

wombat888

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
What a judge might say is very fuzzy and depends on facts and feelings.

The reason Microsoft had to open up its Web browser options is because Microsoft dominates the operating system market, and was able to use that near-monopoly to build another near-monopoly for itself.

If Apple developed an 85% market share in computing, they'd face similar regulation. It doesn't matter that they also make the hardware for this case, it just matters whether they are/can effectively lock other companies out of mass market success.

A number of definitions and decisions I've alluded to are subjective, it is what it is.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Of course Apple isn't going to enforce a "lifetime ban" and if they were, it would be a lifetime ban for buying the first generation non-3G version. The people who are getting hit with this are folks who are buying and reselling. So they got stopped after they tried to buy their 6th iPad during a one month period. :eek: Only someone trying to resell would feel this is an inconvenience. By the summer once the iPad is for sale all over the world, all these bans will be lifted. For now this is just Apple trying to cut down on scalpers, basically.
There is no chance that Apple wants a shortage of iPads to exist. They would love to sell as many as possible to preempt the HP Slate, Courier and the Android Tablets (which are sure to be available by late summer (early fall at the latest) and which are likely to be the real competition for the iPad). Apple just didn't want to ramp up another few manufacturers ahead of seeing the response for this new device. They are probably kicking themselves about this now, but there is probably a quality control benefit to only producing the iPad in a few shops. So it is a double edged sword.
Based on the anecdotal evidence of my friends, 3G launch is going to be as big as the initial launch. So Apple is prepping to handle that demand. Hope AT&T is putting up more cell towers to handle the load.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I hope the limit doesn't last too long. I've already purchased two (me and wife) and was thinking about 3 more for my kids.

soxfanreggie

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2010
I hardly think we can dictate who should or should not buy something. Yeah, likely irresponsible, but hey, we all do irresponsible things from time to time.

I think the difference would be: is this person accepting taxpayer-subsidized benefits while spending his or her own money on a non-necessity. IMO, why should my tax dollars be going to someone who can spend $500+ on an iPad but then turns around and goes to the Township Supervisor to have his or her rent and utility bills paid? If I have to choose between my mortgage and an iPad, I'll choose the mortgage - and IMO, I should!

Just called my local Apple Store (Pentagon City, Va) and was told that it is indeed true that one must pay for the iPad with credit/debit card or check. The guy on the phone said "to prevent people from buying more than they need".

It's worthy to note that pre-paid cards are fine "as long as they match your ID".

Never thought I'd go through top-flight security just to get an iPad. This is turning me off completely.

You could always go to Best Buy or send someone else to get them for you.

AppleiPad

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2010
I was at the Apple Store in Southdale Mall in Edina, MN (Minneapolis/St. Paul area) yesterday....getting my fix while I wait for my 3g to arrive....and noticed a small sign on the table that stated something to the effect that iPads could only be purchased with a check or credit/debit card. I took this to mean no cash.

Steve

I can confirm that Apple Stores do not accept cash. I went to a few and called some others and they all said they are not allowed to accept cash on iPad sales.

smoknyreyz

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
Nashville, TN
I can confirm that Apple Stores do not accept cash. I went to a few and called some others and they all said they are not allowed to accept cash on iPad sales.

Just to add to the discussion - this isn't the first time that apple has imposed the same restrictions. When the original 2G iPhone came out my wife went to our local Apple Store to buy one with cash for me as a Christmas present. She tried to use cash instead of using her debit card, because she wanted it to be a surprise gift for Christmas. Much to her surprise they wouldn't let her use cash due to supply issues during the original iPhone launch.

I for one have no problem with these restrictions. I'd much rather Apple control the supply so that as many people that legitimately want their products can get their hands on one. Look at Nintendo for example. When the Wii first came out you couldn't find one in a store, but you sure could get one for a premium on eBay. There will always be those who try to make a profit off of new tech, and if Apple wants to stop them from doing so in order for us to get the cool gadgets at retail prices, then they have my full support.

mklnk

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2010
I don't think he's making much money off of this deal.

The article said he charged $650 for a 16gig wifi, and later lowered the price to 630.

499 (16gig wifi)
29.94 (6% sales tax, yours may vary, for example NYC Sales tax is 8.75%)
91.75 (1-3 business day shipping via USPS Global Express Guaranteed. The article said he used a 2-day service which I bet has a comparable price)

Total is $620.69

Add to that the price of packing materials, the paypal credit card fees which he mentioned, the price of gas and I don't think this guy was making any kind of profit.

soxfanreggie

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2010
While I still am left stranded because I can't pay cash for just one.

It's fair, but it really isn't.

I would think you could go to any bank with $500 to $1,000 in cash and open up a checking account. You should be good to go from there since they said you could use credit card/debit card/check at your local Apple Store, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.