All iPads iPad questions

Discussion in 'iPad' started by CookieMonster20, Jul 12, 2013.

1. CookieMonster20 macrumors newbie

I've been considering getting an iPad, either the mini or the retina display model. I'm looking to have it instead of a laptop, which I have at the moment. The main things I use my laptop for are social networking, browsing the web, watching films and tv programmes.

I have the iPhone 5 16gb, and I know that I can have all of my current apps, photos, and my music and only take up a few gb of space. What I would be worried about in getting the iPad is running out of space for storing films. At the moment I have physical dvds, but I want to own them all digitally.

How many dvds do you think I could store on an iPad (16/32/64gb), and if I can't store many will I be able to delete and redownload them at a later date if I need the space? Failing that, what do you all think of renting films aswel?

This is my main concern for me to ditch a laptop for a tablet. Thanks in advance.

2. tillsbury macrumors 65816

I would recommend using an external storage device for your movies, rather than trying to either cram them on to an ipad (or worse, pay huge amounts for the storage space they will take up).

I use Air Video for all movies and TV shows, use them on all devices I own, almost all of which are the 16Gb base ones.

Of course, this doesn't let you watch when you're away from an internet connection...

3. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Most movies are 1-2GB in size. I have iPad 4 64GB and generally have about 20 movies on it which translates to about 40 hours viewing time. As I do not have a large music library or very many apps, I still have room plenty of room left. Easy to change the movies on and off the iPad with a sync. You just have to make the decision of which movies you want with you. Allows me to view anytime or place I want.

4. cledet macrumors regular

cledet

Definitely ditch the laptop. I use my iPad Mini for everything non-work related. That includes watching shows on Netflix and HBO Go. As for my iTunes library, I stream from my desktop via AirPlay on iTunes.

5. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

If you know that you're basically only going to use the device for a media/entertainment browser, then yes iPads are fantasmic. You'll love everything you could possibly do with it. However I would wait a little while to see what Apple reveals this Fall regarding the newest iPhones and hopefully the newly redesigned iPad, unless of course you like the current design.
    Personally, I will always have the need for a full computer, choosing between the two is a no brainer.

6. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

iPad is great for everything but it will not do what laptop can do. I have an iPad and MacBook Pro with retina. I carry both in my backpack everyday. I read my 32GB iPad on the bus/train and macbook at library/coffee shops.
    I don't put dvd movies into my iPad because there is Netflix app. I think I have about 43 apps with 19GB free space. So if you want dvd movie then I think you can afford 64GB iPad with wifi only. :apple:

7. CookieMonster20 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you think it would be better for me to store things like dvds externally then? What I was thinking of doing was selling my laptop, and putting the money towards a 128gb iPad 4. I've worked out that with that much space I could have about 15 HD films, all of my songs (over 150 right now), 20 books, and my 40ish apps. And it would work out to about 80gb.

The 15 HD films are ones that I would rather own, and I would have room for a few more if required. Other than that I wouldn't mind renting other films or tv series from time to time from iTunes.

Do you think that this would be a suitable way to go about having films on my iPad? Rather than having external storage, and such.