iPad R - Why has noone suggested this name?

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
The next iPad will probably not be called iPad 3. It does not have a new form factor, or enough changes to warrant it.

It will also not likely be called iPad HD, because HD signifies a 720p or 1080p screen, which the new iPad will blow away in terms of resolution. Also, HD has already been used heavily by app developers, PC and mobile manufacturers - it has been used to death and most consumers don't even understand the term. However it makes more sense than iPad 3.

But.. what if they just called the next iPad: iPad Retina. Or just iPad R.

What do you think?

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
The next iPad will probably not be called iPad 3. It does not have a new form factor, or enough changes to warrant it.

It will also not likely be called iPad HD, because HD signifies a 720p or 1080p screen, which the new iPad will blow away in terms of resolution. Also, HD has already been used heavily by app developers, PC and mobile manufacturers - it has been used to death and most consumers don't even understand the term. However it makes more sense than iPad 3.

What do you think?
Not a chance. That name is DOA.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
I think that too many sources have said "HD" for it to not be "HD" at this point. If it was something else, we would've heard something by now.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
A person who uses an iPad is an iPad-R. :rolleyes:

OP, don't quit the day job to seek a marketing position at Apple.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
A lot of people thought iPhone 3GS sounds weird, or sounds like a car name, but that's what we got. I don't think it's out of the realms of possible for the new iPad to be called either iPad Retina or iPad R.

If I was a betting man I'd go with iPad HD. But that just seems a little too PC-like for my taste.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
A lot of people thought iPhone 3GS sounds weird, or sounds like a car name, but that's what we got. I don't think it's out of the realms of possible for the new iPad to be called either iPad Retina or iPad R.

If I was a betting man I'd go with iPad HD. But that just seems a little too PC-like for my taste.
Naming it after a standard feature is short sighted.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
If I had to make a bet, I'd say iPad HD will be it's name, with iPad 3 as an outside chance. Don't get me wrong, I feel that either of these two names is far more likely than something left field like iPad R. But I do hope Apple surprise us here with something a little less obvious and bland like HD.

Markiie

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
Los Angeles, California.

What do you think?
Dude, its not a Honda....

Integra Type R
Civic Type R

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Dude, its not a Honda....

Integra Type R
Civic Type R
Steve Jobs was a big fan of the design and culture of cars. The name 3GS is almost a nod to the types of names we see in cars - Type R, GTi etc.

While the name iPad R is unlikely because it sounds a little awkward at first pass and also named after a feature (Retina), I would like to see something akin to this for the name instead of 'HD'. HD is also a feature.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
I think iPad 3 is the most likely name. I can't see Apple using iPad HD, i would actually bet that they wouldn't. I would like them to come up with something totally different iPad RD or something unexpected.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
My guesses in order of chance:

1) iPad 3
2) iPad 2S
3) iPad HD
4) Maybe something else appended to iPad 2. iPad 2R? iPad 2 HD?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I honestly can't believe they might call it iPad HD.

The most change I'd ever think Apple could do to the iPhone/iPad is simply dropping the number scheme. But to add 'HD'.... I'm really surprised. It's not a big deal, of course, but something about that feels... un-Apple.

: shrug :