iPad Rattling Noise...Accelerometer?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by klmckenzie03, May 1, 2010.

1. klmckenzie03 macrumors member

Hello,

I received my shiny new 16GB iPad 3G yesterday and finally had the time to open it this afternoon. The first thing I noticed when taking it out of the box is that if you jostle or move it around at all it makes a noticeable rattling noise. At first I thought perhaps it was the SIM card tray not being seated correctly so I totally removed the tray and SIM card. The rattle is still there! It was my understanding that accelerometers present on all iDevices were electronic and will make no physical noise. Can anyone else verify this information? Does anyone else have this rattling noise? If so please list your mode i.e. WiFi or WiFi + 3G. If not, it sounds like I will be calling AppleCare or visiting the nearest store to swap this bad boy out!

Thanks in advance!

2. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

3. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

It should not be making any noise. Return it.

I have the 64GB 3G.

4. MikhailT macrumors 601

Go swap it, sounds like Fedex dropped it or something. There should be absolutely no noise in any iPad.

5. klmckenzie03 thread starter macrumors member

I was afraid of this. Thank you for confirming my initial impression. Everything else seems to be working ok. I figure at the very least I have now had a test run and can say I am very impressed with this device. I am, however growing a little tired of Apple's piss poor quality controls as of late. I have a yellow coated iMac on my desk with an RMA waiting to be boxed and sent back to Apple. Now it looks like I will be taking my iPad back for replacement. A Mac mini is scheduled to be arriving Monday to replace this yellow iMac. Hoping and praying there is nothing wrong with it!

6. Fonzmeister macrumors member

7. klmckenzie03 thread starter macrumors member

Well after finally getting a chance to go to the Apple store I will tell you my customer service experience with the Genius was a pleasant one. He took my iPad into the back room where it was quieter and said he definitely heard a rattle. Like my first instinct, he also took the SIM tray out to verify it was not that. Handed me a new white box iPad and I was on my way. Now that I am home I have noticed that this one makes the very same rattling noise as the other one. It seems pretty unlikely that I would have gotten two damaged units in a row. Are you guys sure that yours isn't making this noise? At this point I am about ready to write it off as normal. I will be near another Apple store this weekend though so I am considering taking it with me again and possibly getting another replacement.

This noise in question is best heard if you hold the iPad in portrait mode with one hand and flick it back and forth. The noise seems to be heard best from the back side and is originating from the area between the "iPad" and size designation and the dock connector. Any help would be appreciated!

8. harry*333 macrumors 6502a

harry*333

take it back again, or if you wanted to be daring try taking it apart and seeing if there's a little piece of something that just fell in during assembly

9. ARH1956 macrumors 6502

Neither of mine make any noise when shaken in this manner, WiFi only or 3g.

10. steel magnolia macrumors regular

No, sorry, I can't hear any rattle on mine at all. I have the 64 G wifi, but I haven't ever heard an iPad rattle and I have seen and handled several. I would take it back and not leave the store until I checked for the "rattle"! Good luck to you,hope you get it resolved soon.

Patty

11. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

There must be a joke here somewhere that I am missing! :D

12. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

Return that thing immediately. Your iPad should not make any noises.

13. Tchnlgskrng macrumors newbie

Same problem help

My iPad 3G makes this same noise although not loud, you would only notice it in a silent room. I have emailed a manager at apple as there were problems with my order and he gave me his email, but I have not heard back. Did you try going to the apple store again? Did they say what was causing the noise? It is quite concerning as I don't have to have something go wrong in two years because a part gets loose/worn out from rattling.

14. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

There is no fan in the iPad :p

15. NextTuesday macrumors member

Yup! Same problem here on my 64GB WiFi+3G!

Rattling seems to be on all 4 corners. iPad in full working condition, only time it could have been dropped was when it shipped from LA to Cork, Ireland - also means I'm a little SOL on getting it repaired...

16. Cagle macrumors regular

16gb 3g

Same here!

Sounds like a tiny grain knocking about inside when i shake the ipad in a fan-like motion.

Just great. Thanks for posting though, otherwise I probably would have dismissed it.

17. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

That's just the sound of magic and innovation, no need to worry.

18. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Accelerometer is a chip, not like a ball that's bouncing around...

LOL

19. NextTuesday macrumors member

Has anyone posted on the forums or talked to Apple?

20. Cagle macrumors regular

took it back and they had a shake in the back room and agreed. offered me the chance to get it fixed by the team there or wait for a new one to come in. i was under the impression they had a supply of new ones in stock all the time, in case of returned iPads. oh well, back on the reserve list I go!

21. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

16GB launch day Wifi iPad here with no rattling of any kind - the little bugger doesn't make any sound no matter how violently I shake it :)

22. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

Isn't AppleCare worldwide?
    Once the iPad is available in Ireland, couldn't you get it repaired there?

23. Mpaige2 macrumors member

LMAO....Nice:D

24. Macpowered macrumors member

Macpowered

There is no fan in the iPad...

25. Lartymarf macrumors regular

I need to stay away from this forum cuz all of you are just crazy.

I shoke my 64gig 3G and yes I hear it too. But this type of rattling is
    inperceptable from regular usage. But, if you hold it nest to your year
    and place your ear near the backside apple logo and shake it violently yes
    you will hear something.. must like how one of the posters described as
    a grain knocking against something.. but only when you shake it violently
    and put your ear up against it. And you can only recreate this sound if
    you use both hands and shake rapidly since the ipad has a decent heft.
    If you only hold it using one hand, you can't hear anything really. There is
    also no physical cluncking that you can feel through your hands when you
    shake it.

You crazy bunch of people.. stop picking problems.

Although I did check my screen for light leaks and dead/stuck pixels.
    I received a perfect screen and THAT is a complete blessing just by itself.