All iPads iPad ready for prime time??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JoeRito, Oct 12, 2013.

1. JoeRito macrumors 6502

JoeRito

Opinions please: is the iPad ready for use as the only computing device in an office/finance setting? Are iWork apps fully featured enough? Need a strong spreadsheet app to replace Excel and a great presentation app. Locating files would be key- not so easy in iOS.

Is a retina display too fatiguing to the eyes to use 8+ hours a day?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

In my opinion, while it is a great device at what it does, the iPad is not the solution you are looking for

3. irDigital0l Guest

iPad sucks at multitasking and heavy productivity tasks.

An iPad would probably work, but a computer who be more efficient.

4. PrayForDeath macrumors 6502

5. Internaut macrumors 6502a

Simple answer: no. Recently, I arrived at a customer site after a disasterous morning at the hotel (starting with a false fire alarm at the hotel). I realised I'd forgotten my site access card (lots of begging with receptionists, who fortunately recognised me), and the power brick for the Dell from Hell. What I learned:

• You can do a lot with an iPad
    • Including VPN to to the mothership, ssh access to critical systems, and light spreadsheet and word processing
    • But it's not as productive as a PC or Mac, especially when connecting to many external systems and working with multiple documents.

Overall, I was impressed by just how many things I could do with the iPad, and this enabled me to stretch the Dell From Hell's battery for the day. But little things like how you select, copy, paste and switch your attention between tasks aren't really as productive, especially compared to Mountain Lion.

Edit: Oh, and the iPad helped save face, at a time when losing face would not have looked good.

6. Mainsail macrumors 6502a

The iPad is great for everyday tasks and light content creation. It can be a very useful tool that enhances your productivity, if you use it for the proper applications.

Financial anlyisis is really best done on a desktop, with lots of screen real estate. Also, Excel is the industry standard for Finance, so an iPad is going to be limited in this department.

I spent 20 years in Budgeting and Finance, and I would not recommend the iPad as a primary tool for this application. Actually, analysts that build large complex spreadsheets typically don't even use laptops for development work. They need lots of screen space for multiple sheets, pivot tables, and macro creation.

That said; an iPad can still be a very useful companion when mobile and away from a full desktop computer.

7. Cyloncat macrumors regular

Cyloncat

8. Macalway macrumors 68000

9. yinz macrumors 6502a

Everyone is saying it won't work because they are talking about using the iPad's Retina Display.

What if you plugged the iPad into an external monitor and bluetooth keyboard. You can use the iPad itself as a mouse/trackpad while looking at a much larger display. Thoughts?

10. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

The bigger problem is going to be the KEYBOARD. For finance applications, that on-screen keyboard is going to be a huge pain.

If you use an external keyboard and mouse, maybe, but then still App selection is limited. If you are doing some basic bookkeeping and small time finance stuff, maybe you can succeed in Google Docs or Numbers, but if this is "serious business" then the iPad will be grossly inadequate app-wise.

I suppose we can get super technical and say what if he uses the iPad to control a remote terminal, but I am sure that is not what the OP had in mind. Even that would also be a pain.

Honestly, just get a Macbook of some sort or iMac for the serious work, and keep your iPad for personal use. That way you wont feel like you are 'at work' when you use it!

11. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

12. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Collecting opinions won't get you your answer. It is for some and it isn't for others. That doesn't tell you anything as to whether it will work for you. If you want to know then give it a spin.

13. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

^^^^^ This.

Nobody here knows your exact work needs, so nobody here can give a fully informed answer.

It really depends on what you mean by "finance"... It could be that you *REQUIRE* a piece of software that simply isn't available for the iPad. Or that you need to use a website that requires Flash, which would rule out the iPad.

Or it could be that you just need a simple spreadsheet, and it will work fine.

I am not in Finance, but I do deal with spreadsheets regularly. The one downfall of the iPad is the small screen/low resolution (yes, even Retina is "low resolution" since it only lets you display as much as a 1024x768 screen would display at readable size.) Spreadsheets are difficult to use on the iPad due to the small amount of data you can display at once. Again - it might be that it is just right for your usage model, but I can't answer that.

14. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Not to beat a dead option, but it sounds like you'd actually be better off with a refurbed Surface RT for 200$ or the new Surface 2 for 450$. You get Excel with that.

15. Altis macrumors 68000

This. Having peripherals to enter lots of data and numbers is very helpful for the kind of use OP describes.

I'm not sure why you'd want to use an iPad over a Macbook Air.

16. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

To me, the iPad is the perfect COMPANION to a real computer.

If your needs are web surfing, emails, games, listening to music, reading books, then the iPad is perfect. If you have more intense uses for a device (word processing, spreadsheets, programming), then you really need a laptop or desktop for these things.

The iPad is the perfect 'occasional' device for word processing, spreadsheets, etc., but not a fully dedicated device. I take my iPad with me in my car, so if I need to these things once in a great while, I CAN do these things. It's somewhat painful, but CAN be done. It's just a lot easier to take an iPad with me than a laptop.

17. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

no, absolutely not the device for your stated purpose.

Just look at the benchmarks if nothing else - the first gen MBA scores higher than the current top-model ipad.

Now, obviously I'm not suggesting you go out and buy a 5 year old 1st gen air instead of an iPad but i think that nicely illustrates the fact that these devices aren't built for different purposes.

ios isn't a "real" operating system. OSX is.

18. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

Those benchmarks don't mean squat. Kind of.

Use a 1st Gen MBA, then use an iPad4. They are completely different in feel. iPad4 kicks ass in speed and resolution compared to the clunky MBA. I have a MacPro double processor which doesn't browse the net or do simple tasks as snappy as the iPad4, and it's rated at 4x the benchmark numbers.

Benchmarks will give you a certain measure of computational power, but the OS, architecture, and usage will determine which device is actually better for the person using the device.

That written, I am not sure the iPad5 will be THE ONE to displace notebooks. It could be, but I doubt it. If someone has simple tasks ONLY, then the iPad might be OK for them as a stand-alone computer.

19. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

nlot even close

Does this thread come up every week or so? Why would anyone commit to going solo on an ipad--a supersized phone with no file system and no usable stylus implementation. I like the ipad and I admire apples focused implementation. That said--it trails the surface badly as productivity device. Its multitasking is laughable and is easily surpassed by samsungs otherwise quirky touch wiz soufflé. Apple has drawn a line in the sand and the world hs walked over it

20. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

i feel like i addressed all that in my post. obviously they "don't mean squat" in terms of the person using the device, but my point in bringing it up is to illustrate the fact that for most people using a desktop in the manner described by the OP, an iPad isn't going to cut it.

No multi-task, limited document editing, compatibility issue with many network printers or even network access by itself.

For what this guy is describing an iPad isn't the right device.

Now, for others it's perfect. I see it all the time in restaurants now. And physicians are using them all the time now as well. The iPad is certainly getting there, but it's by no means a laptop replacement universally or even close to that.

21. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

No. Apple continues to purposely limit the iPad's abilities as a desktop replacement so as to not cripple their computer sales. The iPad in its current iteration is powerful enough to run as a full fledged computer but Apple would be stupid to allow it to do so.

22. nostresshere macrumors 68030

This question is hashed over here constantly for the past two years. Numerous magazine articles as well.

For some, yes.
    Others, not yet.

23. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

i don't think there's much truth to this statement.