iPad reboot?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ewo1992, Apr 5, 2012.

1. ewo1992 macrumors regular

ewo1992

I thought when you reboot the iPad, hold the home and sleep/wake button, that that iPad restarts and closes all the apps in the background and resently used. But when I looked after a restart they were still there. Is there a way to do a restart where it closes all of them. I know you can close them mAnually.

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

No. You shouldn't need to close them, but if you do, close them manually then reboot.

3. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

I thought a restart did close all of them but the icons just remain in the multi-task bar.

4. Dima470 macrumors regular

Dima470

The apps remain in the multitasking bar, but no longer are running

5. jman240 macrumors 6502a

They are closed after a restart.

The multitasking bar serves 3 purposes and doesn't distinguish between app states. They can be non-running, suspended, or using a background API. Essentially, it's a history of the previous apps you've used. Some of them could be suspended which means in ram but not doing anything CPU-wise and some of them could be using background APIs which means they are running a thread or two and using very little CPU and some Ram to do something in the background.

When you restart, every app that is either using background APIs or is suspended is closed. The bar just isn't cleared. If you think of it like a web browser, you don't necessarily clear your history when you close a web browser so it's there the next time you launch it but none of those sites are open. That's essentially what you're seeing.

6. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

They're not running anyway when they're in the task bar but you're doing something else. (With the exception of some audio apps). They're just in a suspended state until you go back to them. Some don't even do that and just reload when you go back to them no matter what.

If you just go back to the home screen, then open the task bar and re open an app, most of them will start from where you left off. If you do a reboot and then go into the task bar and open an app, you will notice that any app you choose will fully re-launch.

But it's not Apple's way to let anything just run in the background.