iPad: Recommend in this situation?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sportguy0913, Nov 30, 2010.

1. sportguy0913 macrumors 6502

My grandfather owns an iMac and is happy with Apple products. He would like to purchase a "computer" for email, web browsing, and such for on the go, or for just sitting on couch while my grandmother is using the iMac. He would also like to take it to Florida with them, as they usually go for a month every year. Would the iPad be recommended as a solution in this case?

Also, they don't really need a camera, and they probably would not care about a change in speed as they are not "tech-savvy". So, based on that, would you recommend waiting for the iPad 2, or just purchasing it now?

Thanks!

2. antster94 macrumors 6502a

antster94

Personally I would recommend a 1.4Ghz 11" MBA to him. If he already knows how to use a Mac, then it'll be a breeze to get used to it.

An iPad however is a whole new OS, also it could be hard for him to get used to the touchscreen.

3. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

I would recommend it for that use. Also with waiting for the next gen I would just see if he's happy with this gen buy him this one. We all know the next one will be better but you buy for what it does now. Very easy to use as well so even the tech savvy can use it.

4. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

I'm kind of with antster94 on this as it depends on your grandparents - if they are able to easily adapt (like my fiancèe's grandfather who never used a computer in his 86 years until February, and withing 3 weeks figured out how to install Skype, set up an account, find us as a contact and then called calculating for the time difference) then I would think an iPad would probably be the better choice as it is easier to use and probably a bit more robust (no moving parts). Add to that that they can use 3G on the go (can you do that with an MBA? Honest question!).

5. randomerratum macrumors 6502

The iPad is surprisingly a hit with non tech-savvy people... A woman I know who'd hardly ever sent an email now twitters, facebooks and manages her entire contacts and schedule through her iPad. She can't get the hang of the press-and-hold magnifying glass cursor for editing, but she finds everything else incredibly simple and intuitive.

When should we expect the iPad 2? I know the first iPad announcement was in January... should we expect an announcement around the same time?