iPad recommendations

Discussion in 'iPad' started by pixiedusted, Jun 27, 2012.

1. pixiedusted macrumors newbie

I'm looking to buy my first iPad. I definitely want to buy an iPad 3 (vs. iPad 2), but I'm not sure whether I should get wi-fi only or wi-fi plus cellular.

I have Verizon for a carrier, and with their new plan, I can add a tablet for only $10 more a month. Plus it would make my iPhone my own mobile hotspot.

I only travel a few times a year. My question is: will I regret buying the cheaper, wi-fi only?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

For me personally, the LTE on the iPad 3 is a killer feature. I opted for the 32 GB WiFi+LTE instead of the 64 GB WiFi only.

I have a WiFi only iPad 2 and LTE (VZ) iPad 3 and a Kindle Fire (also WiFi only). I don't need or use a huge amount of LTE data, but it makes all the difference when I need it.

B

3. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

How often does your iPad leave your house? If it is frequent, you'll regret not getting LTE.

4. Golfer00ksu macrumors regular

LTE is worth the extra even if you won't use the data. GPS was the deciding point for me.

5. Iwolf macrumors newbie

Iwolf

Only you know if you will regret it or not.For me the LTE was a must have

6. ougum macrumors regular

My iPad 2 was 3g. I was always near wi-fi so it was useless. My new iPad is wi-fi only. on the rare occasion I'm not near wi-fi and need to jump online, I use my iPhone personal hotspot

7. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

I bought the iPad 2 with WiFi only. When I upgrade I will definatly go with LTE.

8. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Personally, I don't think I could justify spending the extra money (and adding a little extra weight) when there isn't many instances when you would need to use it. If you have an iPhone already then I would say stick with the wifi and save the money.

9. jojoba macrumors 68000

I'm on the go a lot so I've always included 3g/LTE on my iPads. But if you hardly ever go online outside your home and work place, I don't really think it's worth it. Do you have an iphone? If so, I think you can go online with your iPad via your iphone if you really need to.

10. noteple macrumors 65816

If you are asking this now and you are still on the fence, I would get it.
    It's not something you can add later.
    It's incredibly useful and even astounds with LTE speeds.
    Higher resale value as well.

11. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

I bought both the iPad 2 and iPad (3rd Gen) with cellular. They are on a different network from my iPhone so it pretty much guarantees me data on the go.

12. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I considered it and it annoys me that Apple charges ~$120 for something that only costs ~$10 = but I still wouldn't purchase an iPad without 3G/LTE connectivity since you can't add it later...

I travel a few times per year and my Japanese cell phone isn't a "global" phone so I can just get a cheap pre-paid sim to use in the iPad to have connectivity on the go cheaper than renting a smartphone.

As it is, for the price I paid for my new iPad 64Gb 4G model it will cost me $2.02 per day if I were to give it away at the end of the year (like I gifted my original iPad after a year of use to get this one)...I'd rather avoid Starbucks every day and have an iPad instead = for less!:p

13. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I take my iPad with me when I go out everyday so wifi + cellular is for me but use it wisely.