iPad Refurb, iPad 2 or iPad 2 Refurb?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jamied95, Mar 12, 2011.

1. jamied95, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011

jamied95 macrumors 6502

Hi,

I'm looking at getting an iPad (for myself, share one as a family) and I wonder what your opinion would be:

Option 1: Get iPad 1 for £289, super cheap, but how much longer will it get updates?

Option 2: Order iPad 2 when it comes out, for, I presume, £439?

Option 3: Wait for iPad 2 refurbs, if prices stay steady - £389, but how long until refurbs turn up?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

3. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

more like 3 months

4. idunn macrumors 6502

The best one in time

You may wish to wait for a refurbished iPad2.

Caveat that I do not even own one of these devices, but in looking into them have discovered a number of things. Advantages of the newer model would be more power, better graphics, as well as addition of the cameras. Word has it the cameras are not all that great, less than the iPhone4 in fact, but still something if desiring that feature. Internet browsing would be improved, as the newer model can open tabs without redrawing pages, as the original iPad often did. One owner of both new and older iPads thought the screen of the original looked better. But other accounts, with pictures of both side by side, indicate pictures have better resolution on the newer model. Additionally, with more graphic power the frame rate and overall smoothness should be better with the newer model.

As nice as it may be to have the latest in hand now, there are also some valid reasons for waiting. There is presently a thread on this forum with many reporting serious screen bleed on the iPad2. Reports are this is more prevalent and serious than anything experienced with the original iPad. There are some pictures provided to back up assertions, with some of these units clearly presenting an unacceptable result. No idea on the overall percentage experiencing this, yet. But such things are one reason for waiting to let it all get sorted out.

There is one school of thought, possibly quite valid, that buying refurbished items from Apple is not only economical, but wise because they seem to have a policy of carefully checking all refurbished items before shipping them. This sound policy, unfortunately, does not seem to extend to the new items they sell; there, it would seem they just figure on accepting many returns and letting their customers sort it out.

In the case of the iPad2, some owners have reported returning a unit just purchased because of these screen issues, and receiving another about as bad. That would be discouraging at best.

One reason to wait for awhile, perhaps. Although in most every other respect the iPad2 seems the most capable and best option if beginning from scratch.

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

Basis for this statement given the time it took for ipad1 refurbs to show up? With respect intended, just your say-so carries no weight.

To the OP - how can you reasonably expect useful advice with no info about your needs or intended usage? Anyone could say anything, but it would be meaningless with nothing to base the suggestion on.

6. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

It seems like a lot of iPad2's will be exchanged due to lighting/coloration issues but I would not expect to see refurbs until the iPad2 has been released in other countries.. Probably not sooner than August/September.

7. bwrairen macrumors 6502

If I wanted an ipad 2, I would be damned if I would wait 6 months just to save $50. Just buy it now.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That all depends on how prevalent the problem is. If its limited to a small batch, then that will have little impact on refurb availability

9. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

never said it did....but the ipad 2's will start showing up in about three months

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

Two posts, no explanation. I call bs unless you care to share your logic/assumptions.

11. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

call what you want...believe what you want...it will be three months...

12. jdminpdx macrumors 6502

My sister waited for iPad one refurbs last year after launch. It was about 3 1/2 months

13. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Just get the iPad 2. It is thinner and feels much nicer. It is also a lot faster, and has way better graphics. It is worth the extra $100 over the last gen.

I have had the original iPad since launch and now the iPad 2, and I use them often, so I know what I am talking about.

14. iserian macrumors 6502

iPad one 349 no question unless you must have a blurry camera.

15. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Get the refurbished iPad 1.

When the iPad 3 comes out, buy brand new.

16. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

Its $150...not $100..the lot faster and way better graphics may not be worth $150 to some. A $349 iPad is tilla great device.

However if someone can afford it I would suggest buying new.

17. anonymous6237 macrumors 6502

anonymous6237

Refurb iPad 1s are no longer available at $349, all of those are sold out and I'd be surprised if they started selling them again.

18. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

I think they will be back but not for long. Recent iPad buyers will try to return for iPad 2 and not all original stock has been depleted.

19. redshift1 macrumors regular

Since Apple is still selling the Ipad1 some will inevitably be returned to start anew as a reburb. My guess they will reappear soon. Besides why compete with yourself during a launch window.

20. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

October 25th, 2010
    Refurbished iPads hit the Apple Store
    http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-31747_7-20020561-243.html

Last year the first iPad took 6 months (April-October) to finally appear in the Refurbished Store on Apple.com, and the iPod touch (4th Generation) also took 6 months (Sept-March) to finally appear, so that is how I came to the conclusion of 6 months.

21. mbaer macrumors newbie

iPad 2 WiFi 64 GB wait for refurbished

I can wait another 2 months maximum so long as the WiFi 64 GB shows up online. I asked Apple customer service but they don't know the official date.:(

22. deeddawg macrumors 604

Given that last time it took more like six months and refurbs only saved $50 off list price, I'm not sure it'd be worth the wait just to save that $50.

Depending on model and sales tax rate, that $50 refurb savings would be a wash compared to ordering from an online store not charging sales tax.

Also if you get/use a Target RedCard they take 5% off the price. On a 64gb 3G that's $41 savings. Worth $9 to wait months? I wouldn't. (of course this is not applicable where Target doesn't operate, but the point remains)