iPad repeatedly losing connection in hotels

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by nooaah, Dec 2, 2013.

1. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

This seems to primarily happen in NYC Hilton-brand hotels. The Wifi will blink in and out and then completely drop within minutes of connecting. This has happened with an iPad 3, an iPad Mini, and now my brand new (clean installed) iPad Air.

Hilton AT&T tech support have no idea what's going on. Anyone have any ideas or solutions?

2. pat park macrumors 6502a

It's probably a weak Wi-Fi signal in the hotel. Does a laptop seem to lock on and hold the signal any better?

3. nooaah thread starter macrumors 68000

nooaah

Yes, and my iPhone.

It's definitely not due to a weak signal. It's happened at probably 5 different hotels of Hilton brand and really only in NYC. It's so strange.

4. pat park macrumors 6502a

on the iPad try "Forget this network" and re-establish the connection. Sometimes starting fresh with a new connection makes the all the difference.

5. nooaah thread starter macrumors 68000

nooaah

Actually discovered the solution myself. If "auto join networks" is left off, certain public wifi spots requiring credential logins will not work properly. I've held a connection for a whole 15 minutes now - which is 14 minutes longer than usual lol.

6. nooaah thread starter macrumors 68000

nooaah

Nevermind - crapped out, again. Back to tethering to my iPhone...

7. nooaah thread starter macrumors 68000

nooaah

Ok my iphone can't hold a connection here either. Seems like it's an ios deal with their router config. FYI these devices work in hilton hotels in every other city.

8. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

i actually think this is the correct answer. alot of these hotel networks will boot devices off, especially when idle, in order to share the connection with others. it happens to me in hotels too.

9. nooaah thread starter macrumors 68000

nooaah

It boots me off when I transmit larger amounts of data - like loading macrumors.com (e.g. data amounts above a couple hundred kilobytes - I'm fine with sending iMessages). Pretty sure it's Hilton's router setup in NYC...

10. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

hotel routers everywhere are always horrible and can never handle the load properly.