Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

corriewf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
Since I have had my iPad, I hate my iPhone. Ok I don't hate my iPhone, but I don't like using it anymore. The screen seems too small and the apps don't speak to me like the ipads. Simple task that I used to enjoy on my iPhone Like checking my email has become boring. I almost feel like I don't need the iPhone anymore and can go with a regular phone.

Anyone else feel the same way?

It also makes me think about why they never included a camera on the iPad but included one on the iPhone. I really think they knew the iPad would be a little bit of competition for the iPhone. What does the new iPhone have that the iPad doesn't? Camera.

xolan99

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
Ever since I got my iPad I've used my iPhone a lot less and I agree; the iPad has soured my experience with the iPhone

However I don't think I'd fully replace it as I don't carry my iPad with me out 100% of the time.

corriewf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
Ever since I got my iPad I've used my iPhone a lot less and I agree; the iPad has soured my experience with the iPhone

However I don't think I'd fully replace it as I don't carry my iPad with me out 100% of the time.

Yeah same here. The iPad can never be as portable as the iPhone, but I'm so unmotivated to use it. Then I think about the costly monthly fees to maintain it.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
There are a few things I would need and annoyingly they are based on form factor rather than whether it's a phone or not.

The phone thing I'm not too fussed about, I'd probably get a Skype line for the UK to deal with that but it's really podcasts and music that I want aswell now. Maybe I could get an iPod nano for that.

The only thing I kind of miss from a phone is SMS, but that should pass...

corriewf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
steviem said:
There are a few things I would need and annoyingly they are based on form factor rather than whether it's a phone or not.

The phone thing I'm not too fussed about, I'd probably get a Skype line for the UK to deal with that but it's really podcasts and music that I want aswell now. Maybe I could get an iPod nano for that.

The only thing I kind of miss from a phone is SMS, but that should pass...

You could always get a man purse......

donlab

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2004
USA
yes, it could

I'm going for it. I just bought an unlocked motorola razr from amazon and as soon as it arrives I'll be selling the iphone. With a regular phone and an ipad with prepaid data I'm all set.

edit: I would rather keep my iphone and use it as a regular phone without data but from what I've read with the weekly ATT audit sweeps its just a matter of time before they add data back to your iphone. I'll ask, when I go in to cancel data and transfer contacts but I have a feeling the answer is "NO!".

Oman

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
I concur with most of what has been said. My GF and I use to user our iPhones quite a bit, she more than I. Well, now it is no competition, her phone stays in her hand while mine is mostly used for calls as of late. I do have some enterprise apps for work that I use but for the most part, my iPad is with me 97% of the time and I use it for Apps, web, and e-mail. I already told my GF when the new iPhone comes out, I am for usre getting either a 16GB or 32GB, I really do not need all the space unless I record lots of videos. I still have 10Gb of free space on my iPhone, so i will probably go with the 16GB for sure.

Tebailey

macrumors regular
May 28, 2010
Lol, I know what you mean... My iPhone screen now looks messy and cramped the thing is slow too.. Will still upgrade though I'm sure!

AR15MBP

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2009
USA
one of the best ipad features is the added life to my iphone battery! when at home ipad is king, but it's great to be on the go and have the power of the iphone in such a small package. iphone + ipad makes for an awesome arsenal.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I have an iPad and will be keeping my iPhone and may even upgrade this summer. The maps/GPS alone makes it worth to me and I can't be pulling out a huge iPad every time I need to find out where I am and where I need to go. :) Also, cameras are much better suited to the iPhone than the iPad. If an iPad had a camera, the only thing you'd practically be able to do is have a video voice chat--which I never ever do on my computer.

Once the novelty of your iPad wears off a little, I think you'll begin to value the day to day practicality of a smartphone again.

jsbaugh

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
Past couple of months I rarely touch the iphone anymore. Its become just a regular phone to me. Don't remember the last time I checked email or played a game on it, although I'm not out of the house that much so that is probably part of it.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
I'm in the same boat. The iPad replaced most of what I used my iPhone for - other than the calls (though even that is possible with the Whistle app). Since I have an unlocked iPhone and I never had a contract with at&t, I may end up just going the pre-paid route.

ScottFitz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2007
I have no plans to buy the iPhone 4 at this point. But, i also didn't think I needed an iPad! So, go figure.

corriewf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
steviem said:
I have a messenger bag and also a backpack, I just mean having something quick to pull out whilst walking or just to SMS on..

I am so on the fence about going the dumb phone route. I was before thinking about the evo for it's large screen. Now I am unmotivated for any large screen smartphone. The iPad seems to be replacing the smartphone and net book for me. I also can't deny how much money I would save losing the data plans etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.