iPad replace student laptop?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AssertiveBard, Nov 21, 2010.

1. AssertiveBard macrumors newbie

I'm sure you all get these questions all too often, but here it is again. I am a freshman in college, I have a first gen. MacBook Air. I love it, but if I can sell it and get an iPad instead, I would. I have done a bit of research on the topic.

I have found some concerns being that the iPad can't multitask, sync with printers, and does not always export Pages (does Pages on iPad have a word count?) docs. correctly. Are these true?

I don't use CD's, so that won't be a problem. A list of things I would use it for are as follows:

1. Printing
    2. Typing up docs.
    3. Doing research for papers
    4. Note taking (are there any good apps for this function? I use Evernote on my Air)

Please let me know if I am wrong about anything I have listed. I want to look at this in an unbiased way.

2. mrt209 macrumors 6502

Nah... maybe the next iPad though. I'd recommend you save up for the current Air. You'd have to carry around your iPad and a keyboard plus you don't wanna do all your research on your iPad ;)

3. jdcell100 macrumors regular

4. mrt209 macrumors 6502

He will be sorry if he expects to do the research for and write 10 page research papers on the iPad. I love the iPad, but it's not yet suited for this.

5. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Even with the update, its still not ideal for a student for their primetime machine.

Where to begin? Limited printer support and lack of USB drive support are two issues. Sure you can use Cloud storage...until you are in a place with no Wi-Fi 3G coverage. Also, people expect the ease of a thumb drive at schools to exchange information (e.g. a professor ask you to load your presentation on the computer, and you are SOL). For all of our advances in online storage, its been my experience that many schools still use a sneaker-net as a major conduit of information.

Oh, and when typing, you will HATE not having a scroll wheel on long papers.

Keynote is a wreck, so is Pages but to a lesser extent.

Several other downsides.

The iPad is a supplement, nothing more and nothing less.

6. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Printing(airprint) and multitasking would be in iOS 4.2, and evernote for note taking(since you used it in MBA too lol) I think it would work for things you want..

7. feelfree2spam macrumors newbie

i wouldn't use just ipad for school, but that's just me. iPad is convenient, and it works great as a complement device with either a laptop or desktop, but I personally still prefer to play starcraft2 or other FPS games that iPad would have a hard time running it. iPad is also not very strong when you try to edit photos, doing heavy graphic design works. Sure there are apps that can mimic these functions, but they're no where close to the depth and ease of use as their desktop counterparts.

8. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

I'm in grad school dude and the iPad is pretty much the only thing I use for school. Etextbooks, note-taking, minor document editing- are just a few things I use it for. Reading PDF articles takes up about 40% of it's use. I would definitely not say it replaced my MacBook, as I use that for typing papers. But the ipad is a perfect compliment. I said it before, but I don't know how I got through undergrad without it.

9. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Any basis for that? Sure the iPad is cool, but it is not at all practical for doing research, writing long papers, and limits anything else you can do with it. A computer is a much much more practical answer.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

1. Forget printing. Right now it only works with some newest model HP printers. There are hacking workarounds, but I doubt it'll be stable. You can also buy apps that let you print from the iPad, but again, reliability is questionable.

2. Doable, but much faster on a notebook/desktop.

3. Depends what kind of research. Great for reading non-flash websites and carrying lots of PDF files with you. If your research involves a lot of note-taking, well, see 4.

4. Depends on your subject of study, and also if you are ok with typing on the onscreen keyboard. If you can type fast enough on the onscreen keyboard, then fine, otherwise the new Macbook Air is better suited for this purpose. There're a ton of note taking apps in the App store, but finding the right combination of apps that suits your needs will take time, and unfortunately, some trial and error. Be prepared to waste some money on some apps that turns out not to fit, there's just no way that can be avoided completely.

11. jdcell100 macrumors regular

Dont listen to them grab the iPad u won't be sorry

12. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

The iPad is awesome and I use it way more than my MacBook Pro. But i'm sorry, I don't think the iPad can replace a computer. First of all, you need a computer to activate and restore an iPad. Sure, they'll do it in the Apple store, but if you have to restore it, youre screwed.

The new MacBook Air is much better suited for what you want.

13. GottaLoveApple4 macrumors member

My iPad is all I bring to school...

1. AirPrint/PrintBureau. Works perfectly, but you do have to have a new ePrint HP printer or shared printer on a computer. I just upload my documents to my iDisk and access them on the computers at school if necessary or for printing.

2. Apple Wireless Keyboard or iPad Keyboard Dock. Then it'll be just like writing papers on a Mac.

3. Excellent for this! I love sitting back and relaxing while doing research and browsing. Much better experience. All my school's sites work fine as well. Also, if you need to download anything, GoodReader comes in handy here, but most PDFs you can save directly to iBooks, etc. from online.

4. Note Taker HD in Edit 2 mode with a Pogo Sketch Stylist. I do all my math homework on here as well and email it out as a PDF. Works great and looks just like if I did it on paper.

Caveats: Cannot upload to sites like Blackboard, etc., you need to sync items from a computer first (music, videos, unless you go all iTunes, but either way you should still plug it in to back it up. You can do this with a friend's computer, but not necessarily elegant.) Very rarely run into Adobe Flash problems, but it happens on occasion, although not usually school related.

Solution: The iPad does almost 95% of what you will need, but I would get a Mac mini to act as a server-type computer to host files for the iPad on the go. Also, to be able to tap into it via apps like TeamViewer HD, LogMeIn, etc. to be able to remotely control the Mac mini and throw files you have stored onto iDisk or Dropbox to access them on the go.

This is what I do and I love it!!! Hope you do likewise!:apple:

14. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Maybe for some liberal arts majors that don't require formatting-heavy papers or a science major that's heavy on theory and light on application.... it would be possible.

But I wouldn't.

15. secondtonone macrumors newbie

I have to echo what Eric8199 wrote... I would advise against not replacing your primary computer with an iPad. You need a computer to activate the device and in the event that something goes wrong you will need a computer to restore it.

16. InsanelyApple macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

I think that the bad grammar he, jdcell100, is doing is signifying he is not being serious or he is a troll.

17. PoisonScorpion macrumors member

I'm a high school student and I use it as a supplement. I still need my computer to print since I don't have an AirPrint device.

I have written two or three papers and quite a few assignments, but these were usually one to two pages in length. I have been accustomed to using a keyboard for formatting but that is something the iPad doesn't offer unless you use a keyboard. Something to mention.

The iPad doesn't support subscripts or superscripts, making it very hard to do my science and math homework regularly on the iPad. I have an app that gives me access to unicode characters of which are subscripts and superscripts but it's a pain to go back and forth between Pages and Unicode Tablet.

My two cents.

18. err404 macrumors 68020

While you may be able to get away with just an iPad, I feel that there are too many unforeseen gatcha's to risk your education. For example a site that requires flash, document compatibility or even software updates. Do yourself a favor and at least bring an old/cheap PC laptop or netbook with you to use in a pinch.

19. Jxo177 macrumors newbie

The iPad is definitely a great companion to take on campus, but i don't see how anybody can write papers on it. As far as a thin portable device for note taking and etextbooks the ipad can't be beat. I would probably go insane if i had to write a paper on it, especially if it required footnoting. Well worth the price tag to have as an on campus companion though.