iPad replacement battery policy?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Wyl, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Wyl macrumors member

Wyl

I have an iPad 3, and it's not holding a charge any longer. It only lasts a day two tops. Before I run to a local mom-and-pop shop to get the battery replaced, I was wondering if anybody knew what the policy was with Apple? Will they replace the battery, or the iPad? And do they replace it with the same generation iPad? Thanks

2. Ipadlover29 macrumors 6502a

Apple will replace a battery if it falls under 50% performance. They recently changed this policy to 80% if the device was purchased after June 30th 2015. The iPad does have to be under warranty for them to replace it for free. I'm guessing your iPad 3 is out of warranty. When they do replace the battery they just give you another refurbished iPad since the battery is not replicable. I doubt they would have any iPad 3's sitting around. So they would probably give you a newer model.

3. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

You sure they can't replace the battery? Their website says $99 bucks plus tax unless I'm mistaken? It doesn't make sense that the battery cannot be replaced since they do just that when they refurbish iPads and then resell them.....? Right?

4. Ipadlover29 macrumors 6502a

I'm sure they will replace the battery for $99. But in order for it to be replaced for free it has to under warranty.

5. Wyl thread starter macrumors member

Wyl

I have a conclusion to my questions... I guess Canada Apple is quite different than US Apple.

The only solution they offered me in store was to purchase another iPad gen3 (LTE) for $329 Canadian. They do not replace batteries, only replace unit. They would not even sell me upgraded iPad refurb... 'Not there policy' to quote the Apple dude. I am pretty disappointed with the result and left the store perturbed.

I'll just have to save my pennies and hope the iPad air will drop in price when the iPad air 3 is announced Sept 9th.... Well hoping...

6. Ipadlover29 macrumors 6502a

Im not sure what your budget is but, best buy Canada has some good deals on iPads right now. They will also let you trade in your old one. I doubt there will be an ipad air 3 this year. I guess we will find out for sure on Wednesday. I also wouldnt suggest getting the air 1 since its outdate now and limited in features. If you get the air 2 it should last you longer.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/category/ipad-mini-2/ipadmini2.aspx?icmp=0903-VIP-iPad-plp-h