iPad replacing my iMac??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by EarlofCroydon, Feb 4, 2011.

1. EarlofCroydon macrumors member

EarlofCroydon

My iMac is getting on 3 years old now and it's been brilliant so far. I bought it a year ago (Second-hand) but am feeling worried it could break soon or may need repairing. This is because the screen froze a while back and the screen went blue (Argh!). I also have the increasing need for a portable computer but to buy a MacBook would be too steep price wise. Thinking about it I can't see a massively dramatic con with using an iPad as a computer. I can still word process, surf the internet, emails, apps and more. Or am I missing a trick??

2. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Don't even think about it. No flash is a huge issue for web browsing, typing long documents on the touch keyboard isn't the best, and overall iPad is a media consuming toy not a desktop replacement. I would suggest checking craigslist, you find a used MacBook with decent specs for not much more than an iPad.

3. shadowbird423 macrumors regular

shadowbird423

The Apple Wireless keyboard makes typing on mine easy.

iPad = Media Consumtion + Some work.
    MacBook = Work + Some media consumption.

4. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Ok,and what if you have to access a flash website on an iPad? Oh, wait Steve doesn't let you.

5. shadowbird423 macrumors regular

shadowbird423

No, but the jailbreak community does.

6. ConnorTurnbull macrumors 6502

Honestly, how often does that actually happen to you. Me? Never.

7. hayesk macrumors 65816

You still need something to sync and backup to. So if your iMac breaks, you'll still need a replacement Mac - but if you only use it for sync and backup of iPad, you can get a cheap used Mac.

8. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

Or they could get a, most likely, much cheaper PC. It can run iTunes and install Splashtop remote for those rare times he needs Flash. No reason to spend more on a Mac if he will rarely use it.

9. sportster macrumors 6502

I couldn't use my iPad as an only computer. It works fine as a replacement to my old MacBook, along with my iMac desktop. It makes a great addiction/extension to a desktop computer.

10. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

LOL, are you kidding me?
    Try using Photoshop on your iPad, oh wait, there isn't an app for that.

11. seajay96, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2011

seajay96 macrumors 6502

oh wait, there IS an app for that:

Photoshop Express

I know, I know it doesn't have the full capabilities of a desktop version of Photoshop, nor does it accept plug-ins, but if your going to be hypercritical of the iPad (in an iPad forum), get your facts straight

;)

12. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Flash is not a dealbreaker but it is an issue sometimes. Mostly some news sites with flash video installed. I usually just save the page to view later on my mini as it's not a life or death scenario that I watch it right that minute. But it's not a big enough issue to jailbreak. I have keyboard stand and it has made emails and papers so much easier. I don't like the non-ability to organize photos on the iPad though. That's a big issue for me. I've been using it as a stand alone for 3 weeks now at a military training course. I still have 3 more weeks left and I'm already missing a regular computer. So much that I'm about to buy a MacBook pro later this month. It can't fulfill my requirements on it's own.

13. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

iPad is a mobile entertainment device rather than a computer. There are many times where you'll need a real computer. It runs iOS, so its just an oversized iPod Touch with extra features and ofc things like mail, web, etc look better because of larger screen but it can never replace a real computer.

14. foiden macrumors 6502a

Well, actually Flash Video is mostly not the problem, anymore. It's flash other things. So if flash video is your primary reason, that has been alleviated quite a bit by the Skyfire browser.

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. The iPad in my opinion is not really design to be your only computer.

16. foiden macrumors 6502a

True. I'd replace apples with things that can be apples. Not apples with oranges. The iPad isn't meant to be a primary computer. Never was. Unless you don't need a primary computer in the first place. The iPad could satisfy the consumption part and perhaps light word processing, presentations, and spreadsheets. It does now have the fantastic ability to engage audio communications with people while you do something else on it.

Then again, it only replaces a primary computer if you have no need for a primary computer and your tasks don't require one. Otherwise, that iMac is way too valuable for primary computing. This would be more of a supplemental that you just might use more than your iMac, but you'll want that thing around to handle some possibly important tasks (or heavy content production).

Remember, if price is an issue, and you like iPad prices. You may want to look at the Mac-mini. That, in itself, can function as a primary computer though you'll need a monitor or any video device capable of taking VGA, DVI, or anything that the mini-display convertor wires can output to. It also hovers around the cheapest iPad prices.

17. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

You will still require a computer of some description, the iPad makes a beautiful paperweight without one...:)

18. Hawke macrumors regular

The iPad is an amazing product, but I wont recommend it as a replacement for a computer. It's portable and can be used for basic processing, but I'd say its more of a luxury/convenient device. Maybe, just maybe in time the iPad could replace a computer, but not at this time

19. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Because?

Several other users confirmed if you want to update it, it can be updated at an Apple store. While I would never use it as my only computer, I very rarely plug it up to one. I use File Browser to access files on my network. (Yes, a Mac is needed)

If all they are using it for is Internet, email, word processing, and consumption of media obtained through iTunes, no other computer is needed. Heck, with the right printer, you can even print from it, no laptop or desktop is needed.

20. Send72nj macrumors newbie

I love these threads.
    It's like comparing a flip flop,sneaker and a work boot!!!
    You need to buy the right shoe/combo.
    I use a Mac mini on my 42 inch LCD as my main computer.
    I use my ipad as a quick e-mail, game and Internet tool.
    The Mac mini- ipad combo is perfect for me. If your doing
    Work on your computer that the ipad can't handle, then you need
    A Mac book. If your work is that complex a macbook is probably not the
    Best any way. Depends how much power/ portability you need.

21. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

How do you get any work done on a 42in LCD as your main monitor? That sounds like a quick way to kill your eyesight.

22. seajay96 macrumors 6502

he probably sits back on the couch about 8 feet away.

23. nednarm macrumors 6502

No it doesn't. Don't post BS. the only flash client developed is 'frash' and it barely works at all seeing as it's in Alpha.

24. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Prob is, redsn0w and greenpois0n come out Mac-side first. If you want to stay right on the latest JBs, a Mac is preferable.

25. kamalds macrumors regular

Heard of Frash.deb, son?