ipad resale value just before ip2 launch

Discussion in 'iPad' started by newConvert, Dec 15, 2010.

  1. newConvert macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2006
    #1
    Just a quick question for you guys here, I think I am going to be getting some apple GC's for xmas to put towards an iPad... I know that the new one will (more than likely) be coming out in april(ish). I'd like to do some reading etc. etc. before then, so I was half contemplating getting the 16gb wifi for now, then selling about a month before the launch of the new iPad... Any rough guess as to how much I could get for it? I was figuring if its in mint shape I'd probably loose $100 or so? Thanks!
     
  2. jreuschl macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2008
    #2
    What I would do.. esp if you are just getting the Wifi model, is wait for a refurbished one on Apple's site, that saves you $100 and probably would be closer to "resale".
     
  3. AML225 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2010
    #3
    I'll take a stab at this...

    The only flaw I see in your logic is that you're assuming we will have 1 month notification prior to iPad 2 release. I doubt this will happen. The day Apple announces the iPad (in my opinion) is the day it will be released. Otherwise Apple would be hindering their own sales.

    Assuming you are right and Apple does give notification of the iPad 2's release, you'd already be too late to maximize your return on your iPad. As soon as the iPad 2 is publicly announced the going rate for a used iPad 1 will plummet.

    My best guess is that as soon as the iPad 2 is released the iPad 1's value will plummet about $200 (I'm being particularly pessimistic to be safe), ask yourself if you can justify losing an extra $200 to use an iPad between now and "April(ish)" that will give you your answer.

    If you want to do some reading I highly recommend books, their battery life is way better than any iPad.
     
  4. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

    spinedoc77

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2009
    #4
    Personally I'm allotting for half the value when I go to sell my ipad, this is after the new ipad is announced. I usually get much more than half when doing this with an iphone, but remember that part of the appeal of a used iphone is that it is out of contract.

    I'm pretty happy with getting half back for my ipad, means I buy a brand new ipad every year for half price. I may even be underestimating it, especially since the newer ipad probably will only be an incremental upgrade and there are a lot of consumers out there who would rather pay much less for an ipad1 with "slightly" less features.

    Craigslist always amazes me, I rarely sell something for under what I listed it for. In your case it's a bit tougher as you will be paying to use the ipad for 3-5 months, so being completely pessimistic you have to ask yourself if you are willing to lose roughly half the value of your ipad when you go to sell it.
     
  5. newConvert thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2006
    #5
    Thanks for the replies so far... I might have been a bit unclear, but I am assuming (whether its true or not who knows) that ip2 will come out roughly the same time the last one did.. so I wouldn't be waiting for the announcement, but selling in advance of it I guess?

    i like the refurb idea, but Canada has yet to get any of em, i dont think.
     
  6. donlab, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010

    donlab macrumors 6502

    donlab

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2004
    Location:
    USA
    #6
    check back here

    If apple doesn't announce it like they did last year then just keep checking back to this site for the latest rumors. Usually macrumors posts a tidbit reporting on apple store / att inventory of iphones so the same can probably be said for ipad inventory.

    If they do announce in Jan but ship in April then part with your current ipad as soon as you can after the announcement. You can probably get 75% of what you paid for it. Refurb'd or used on amazon is a good idea.
     
  7. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

    AppleGoddess

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2010
    #7
    You will get about 385.00 for a base wifi, just before launch, I would keep it and when you need another pay 100.00 and get another unit.
     
  8. leomac08 macrumors 68020

    leomac08

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2009
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
  9. jreuschl macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2008
    #9
    I would say that it would also depend on the new features of the iPad 2. If all it adds is a camera and just some very minor upgrades besides, some may not care and pay almost as much for the 1st gen. If they upgrade the screen, it would probably drop more.
     
  10. map1978 macrumors 68020

    map1978

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2006
    Location:
    Jacksonville, FL
    #10
    You'll prob get $400 us dollars for a mint iPad 16gb wifi only

    Just would have to put $100 plus tax more towards the 2nd gen
     
  11. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

    ugahairydawgs

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2010
    #11
    If you have a mint 16GB WIFI only iPad with no extras I'd say you'll probably get about $350 for it. The closer you wait to the announcement of the iPad refresh the more that number goes down.
     
  12. Piggie macrumors 604

    Piggie

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2010
    #12
    Is there any TECHNICAL issue in the selling of an iPad and then waiting till the new one comes out?

    Would it be a case, or Syncing with your computer, then wiping the iPad totally, then waiting a few weeks.

    When iPad2 arrives connect to iTunes and it will sync all your stuff back onto your iPad2 ?
     
  13. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2010
    Location:
    Purchase
    #13
    just don't sell it after the ipad 2 comes out. I mean you can but you will take a loss if you wait to long. i told my iphone 3gs for 397 a week before the iphone 4 came out. when i checked online after the iphone 4 came out. the 3gs was selling in the high 200s so..
     
  14. Ifti macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2010
    Location:
    UK
    #14
    I agree with this TBH. If the updates are very small, such as the camera and maybe a small speed difference, I personally probably won't other upgrading at all, until the following year. Not sure I would ever use a camera on my iPad anyways. I have my iPhone for FaceTime calling so wouldn't use my iPad for it in the first instance. I'm still waiting to hear what the main developments will be before i decide on what I will be doing.
     
  15. rml4uk macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2008
    #15
    I can relate to this. I had a 32gb wifi only iPad up until a couple weeks ago. I decided to go ahead and sell it to get as much out of it as I could to apply towards the new iPad. Retail on the 32gb wifi iPad is $600. I sold it for $560 on Craigslist, including a Dodo case and the camera connection kit (both of which I received as gifts and didn't pay for). I was missing having an iPad though so I started looking on Craigslist for another one. Lucky me, I found a guy selling a 32gb wifi+3G for only $500! (including an Apple case) Needless to say I bought it and still have $60 in my pocket :). When it comes closer to the new iPad coming out I don't think I'll have any problem getting my $500 back since it retails new for $729.
     

Share This Page