Resolved iPad restore question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lightning33, Nov 24, 2013.

1. lightning33 macrumors member

So, a few months back my wife upgraded her iPad2 to iOS6. Well, bad update and she lost all her stuff. BUT, a few months prior, I back up the iPad. It obviously didn't get everything, but it is better than nothing. She has been using her clean iPad for several months and now has some stuff stored.

Question: if I restore, will it overwrite everything on it now? Can I selectively restore stuff?

2. Conan86 macrumors 6502

It'll overwrite, you can't selectively restore

3. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

What selective stuff are you talking about?

4. lightning33 thread starter macrumors member

Before we had to wipe it, we had a lot of pictures on it. Most were backed up. After using it, we have a few more pictures. So, will it combine the pictures, or will it replace the new pictures with the restore? Just as an example...

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

There is no one answer. It depends on what you are concerned about. Pictures, for example, synchronize from your computer onto your iPad via iTunes. You'd need to sync your iPad first, and make sure all the pics you took with your iPad are transferred to your computer. When you sync your computer with your new iPad, it will make copies of the pictures on your computer and put them on your iPad.

So if you want to make sure all your pictures make it to your new iPad, make sure they make it onto your computer first.

6. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

If you use iCloud or PC backup it backs up all the pictures into the camera roll in the backup. When you restore from backup it will restore all the pictures. You can always delete what you don't want.

Use this app to transfer the pics to your PC or a cloud service like google drive:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/photo-transfer-app-easily/id365152940?mt=8

7. lightning33 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all! It sounds like if I do the restore, it will combine the pictures (the new set and the old set). As far as apps go, if she has to start over (again) on Candy Crush, so be it. I think I'll just bite the bullet and click the restore feature in iTunes.

8. doboy macrumors 68000

You may want to look into some software you can use to extract the game data onto your PC/Mac and individually restore those data after restoring from your previous backup.

Software like this http://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/