Ipad review from a non fanboy aka android lover

Discussion in 'iPad' started by shadrap, Apr 4, 2010.

1. shadrap macrumors 6502

A little background one me first. I am a former Iphone owner that could not stand AT&T service or the lock Apple has on it's products. The only device I currently own that is Apple is an iPod touch. I love the abilities of android and use Windows exclusively. I can be found on the androidforums.com with the same user name.

I woke up yesterday and my RSS feed on my HTC Hero advised me that the iPad went on sale. I being the geek that I am decided to go to my local Apple store just to check it out. When I arrived, it was 9:30am and there was around 50 people in line. I decided to hop in line. Knowing Apple fan boys would pay a little extra on ebay to get the device, I decided to purchase one and sell it.

I spent half the day checking prices and watching videos on the iPad. I realized that I could make $150 on ebay, but something told me that I would always be curious if I did not at the very least open it and give it a try. I gave in around 2:00pm.

This is what I have found.

Typing: I can type 50wpm and am not much slower on the iPad. As long as you remember to keep your hands off the keyboard and keep them lined up. I am typing this on the iPad.

Web Browsing: It shines, yes the checkerboard pattern is back, but I am sure this will be fixed with a later update. It does little in hindering the experience. I have not used my laptop for web browsing since opening the iPad. On a techie note, yes it would be better with Flash.

Apps: The current iPad apps are great and look awesome on the screen. My former iPhone apps also look great for example Homerun Battle 3D, though the Facebook App is worthless, you don't need it anyway just bookmark it.

Videos: The ABC app is great and really should be used to show off your new toy. I used Handbrake to convert some AVI's. The iPad is great at video. Just like the iPod touch, but the sheer size changes the whole experience.

Music/ Sound: The sound is better than my Sony Vaio and again it is a Giant iPod touch. So the user experience is similar.

eBook reader: Kindle who, enough said.

My first impression of the device: It is a giant iPod touch, but once you jump in, it is so much more.

Once, you start using the device to go through your daily motion, this is where the similarity with the iPod touch ends. Because of the size and updated hardware. I believe Apple has stumbled on to something or they are just ahead of the game again. This device is a replacement laptop to any person that is not a techie. If you do not plan on downloading torrents, hacking, or using it for business. This is the perfect device. How many of you out there have parents or children that like email, videos, picture, and web surfing, but that is where there tech experience ends? I know that is the case with my family. I highly recommend the iPad for anyone that falls into this category and I believe most people do fall into this category.

Wish list: Remember I am an android lover: Flash, multitasking, SD card slot.

I can't wait to try the iPad out with the HTC EVO 4G using wifi tether. Sorry, had to throw my android plug in.

2. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Nice review and right in line with my thoughts, especially for "everyday people" that only use a computer for the web and email and such.

3. bossxii macrumors 68000

What is funny about this is for me, an iPhone user and now a iPad user, I amo thinking of switching my iPhone for a smartphone that allows it to become a wifi hotspot. I don't however want the Palm products, is there an Android based phone that does this?

Yes I know you jailbreak the iPhone but the battery drain is unacceptable and the fact if I get a phone with Verizon my company will pay for the tethering cost. The iPad has made a large part of mY iPhone usage obsolete. good review though and i think as more apps come out it becomes a much more compelling tool for people. ABC, Netflix, and Youtube cover a lot of video, if Hulu joins the list of apps flash becomes less of an issue as well.

Enjoy your new iPad. :)

4. illutionz macrumors 65816

My rooted Nexus One works perfectly to tether it wirelessly with the iPad ;)

5. NJMetsHero macrumors regular

I have too many things I need to do on my laptop for the iPad to replace it. Heavy typing, recording skype calls and audio editing, video editing. The iPad can't do these things. Plus, until it has multitasking I can't just have AIM open while I go on the internet. If it did that, my laptop would get way less use out of it.

6. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

Nice review

I'm still waiting to hear someone report on iPad surfing with Sprint 4G?

7. CoreyMac macrumors regular

the HTC Evo 4G will allow this when it releases this summer. :) That is my plan also, ditch the iphone for the Evo and use it as a hotspot for the ipad.

8. illutionz macrumors 65816

You can do it now with any rooted Android devices ;) WiMax is nice but it's a dead platform once LTE comes in full swing because all UMTS providers will use LTE AND Verizon switching camp to this standard

9. Skydivincoastie macrumors member

What app are you using from the market to make your nexus one tether...I am rooted with cyanogen

10. illutionz macrumors 65816

11. Skydivincoastie macrumors member

I downloaded barnacle from the market...works GREAT

12. foxnews1 macrumors 6502

My situation is almost like you, except never own any apple products. sold my window laptop to buy iPad. I am using TP2 tethering now. I am also on androiforum waiting for EVO 4G to tether using 4G.

I think iPad is going to attract many window and android fans over, not just apple fan boy. They are not giving up PC completely but iPad will consume a big percentage of their time. And PC will just move to the back room like a server for heavy work.

13. illutionz macrumors 65816

I should give this program a try ;)
    Thanks for the heads up

14. cmaier macrumors G3

I ordered a 3G ipad - I plan on using it as a replacement for my MBP when travelling, and since I make very heavy use of my verizon aircard in my MBP while on the road, I figure that the massive battery in the iPad is better than relying on the puny battery of a tethered phone.

15. markosb macrumors 6502

markosb

I get the same impression, when your using it you forget your using the iPad, my iPod touch is so small and so light. After 30 min on the iPad, I look at the iPod and say not going to use you till I go biking.

16. shadrap thread starter macrumors 6502

I have used the iPad for all my surfing. I have my laptop hand braking some videos for me right now as I type this on the iPad.

The wifi tether app on any easily rooted android is awesome and works like a charm with the iPad. Sprints 4g htc evo, due out in June and the iPad will be an astounding combo.

17. cdesigns macrumors 6502

i sold my 3GS and got e HTC hero, I still miss the 3GS but not the att plan, Im using my ipad with wifi thetering and I get 2mbps downloads speeds NOT BAD, and Im also waiting for sprint to have the EVO for sale. android is nice once you hacked :)