iPad Review

Discussion in 'iPad' started by eye, Jun 8, 2010.

1. eye macrumors 6502a

eye

I waited a while to purchase this 16 GB iPad and then couldn't find one anywhere in Michigan when I decided to pull the trigger. These things are scarce around here. I'm using it with a Verizon MiFi. Here are my impressions, just mere months after everyone else has given you theirs.

Positives:

Web: Amazing. Clarity and ease of use are unparalleled.

eReader: I have Kindle, iBooks, and B&N installed. I'm not too picky and they all get the job done with different selections. I like being able to choose from any of them rather than being tied down to one store like I'd have to be with a Kindle.

Calendar, email: Great versions of these tools. Better than on a desktop.

Negatives:

Awkward: no comfortable way to hold it or type. Seriously. I'm sick of just typing this.

Movies: What a hassle. Why can't iTunes format my movies for my devices. I have them syncing with my Apple tv, iPhone, and now iPad. I want to load some and go when I'm about to catch a plane but iTunes won't let me. Also, the quality looks horrible next to how clear and crisp other apps are.

Apps: for me, the app store is about 200,000 crappy apps and like three good ones. This is the app store as a whole, not just iPad. I have not played one single game even compares to 8 bit nintendo games in gameplay.

Yes, I'd write more but this thing is horrible to type on.

2. jenz macrumors newbie

jenz

LOL about the typing i think it's just matter of time and you'll get used to it, like everything.

3. GamecockMac macrumors 6502a

GamecockMac

I'd write more of a reply but this review is horrible. :rolleyes:

4. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Get the Apple case and you won't have a problem with this. I didn't like holding it (or typing on it) before I got the case either.

5. supercaliber macrumors regular

Completely agree with OP

Typing on iPad completely blows and should only be used in an emergency. I never type with the iPad.

I will also add that not adding some sorta mouse-mode to me is a big negative. I want to bluetooth my keyboard and mouse. If I could just do that I would be all over the Ipad being the best thing since the wheel.

As for the AppStore i have a few apps that my kids play all of the time, other than that i just use it for browsing and checking email, both of which are very nice.

Movies, don't know, sounds like a pain though

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

iPad case makes it really great. Works for different positions of holding and for typing too.

Movies: obviously you don't have good source material. Videos look amazing if you encode it properly, or buy HD from iTunes.

App Store? 3 good ones? Right, that must be why people have spent 1 billion dollars on Apps, because they are completely useless. :rolleyes:

Pretty much.

7. AldoRay macrumors member

Took the words right out of my mouth. I'm constantly recommending the Apple case for the iPad, it makes it infinitely more user friendly, especially when typing. :)

8. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Even when they start as 620x480(approx) divx files. /I hear/ that they look pretty damn good...

9. poloponies macrumors 68030

The first video I loaded was a digital copy of Pixar's Up! that came free with the Blu-Ray. I have no idea how it was formatted but it looks beautiful on the iPad.

10. eye thread starter macrumors 6502a

eye

So I'm guessing a few of you won't be recommending me to work on reviews at MacWorld. Darn.

11. pondie84 macrumors 6502a

re videos, if you use subler to remux your mkvs to mp4 the quality is great and the whole process is quite quick.

And yeah... Apple Case. I type with my iPad fairly frequently and I've never had any real problems. If you want to do some serious typing use a BT keyboard or... a laptop/mac?

12. Dillenger macrumors 6502a

Dillenger

Yes, so don't quit your current job. ;)