iPad mini iPad rMini small light leak. Roll the dice and exchange it or let it go?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cyclesteel, Nov 20, 2013.

1. cyclesteel macrumors newbie

I have 2 small light leaks on the bottom of my rMini which only can only be seen on in the dark on full brightness on a black screen. So far I have not noticed them in normal everyday use but I have not watched any movies in the dark yet. Other than that the screen seems really good. I am trying to decide if it is worth it or not to return it.

This was purchased at Target with a gift card from trading in 2 1st gen IPads when they had the deal a few weeks ago. I actually purchased a Mini 1 first with the gift card and returned it over the weekend for The rMini. My Luck the next one will have worse issues if they even have any in stock. I am pretty sure I have up until January 21st to return it according to the receipt. So I just might with until after the holidays. Trying to decide what to do. So far I am pretty happy with it but then again I am coming from a gen 1 iPad.

2. ant043 macrumors regular

I returned my air with a light bleed. I'm waiting for a replacement at the moment. In my opinion roll the dice if you're anyway like me.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I think those kind of light leaks are endemic. I have a couple too when I look at a pitch black screen in total darkness. The thing is while I do use my mini in total darkness it's never to stare at a black screen so it doesn't affect my enjoyment. If it did I'd return, but odds are I could exchange and get a worse screen. I don't believe or expect 100% perfection in mass produced consumer electronics is possible.

4. Bstephens macrumors newbie

True but can't get too complacent or overall QC will go down.

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

As said, I'd return IF it affected my enjoyment of the unit but it's unrealistic & unhealthy to expect 100% perfection. If Apple gets lax on QC it's image, sales & profit margins will follow the downward spiral & so I'm not concerned about that at all.

But the major screen issues posted here are really few and far between but magnified when posted to an Internet forum. Then people start inspected their screen like its an FL graded diamond looking for the most minute flaw. It's common for any manufactured item to have a 1-3% defect rate that gets past QC.

6. cyclesteel, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013

cyclesteel thread starter macrumors newbie

Very true! Which is why I am going to wait a little and see if it actually bothers me or if I forget about it in a week or so. To be honest I would have never noticed it if I was not part of the forums and decided to check mine for any issues that are being reported. Now that I know it is there it might bother me it might not. I am glad I have 45 days to decide to return it or not. I love reading the forums but being somewhat OCD it causes issues sometimes :(

7. cyclesteel thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I rolled the dice. I exchanged my white 16gb rMini for a black 16gb one. This one also has Light leek / Blacklight bleed but not as bad as the first one. I think I will keep it. I do not feel like playing the exchange game any more on another note the Targets new me ( Philly Burbs) seem to have a good stock of rMini’s

8. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

How do you test for blacklight bleeds and such?

9. WashupDawg macrumors regular

If you don't get light leak you may get one of the following:

* Dead pixels
    * Yellow screen
    * Image retention

So, in the end you decide if you can live with whatever you get. You may be lucky to get that one perfect device. At the moment it seems hard to win the lottery with the Retina Mini.

I just returned my Retina Mini due to its back cover being damaged from factory. I'm considering to just wait some months and see if the quality goes up. I don't have time for this. A Retina Mini with LTE and 32GB has a price equal to $850 in my country so there's no compromises for me in regards to quality.