All iPads iPad rMini vs iPad Air 2 - Screen vs size choice

Discussion in 'iPad' started by pupup, Nov 1, 2014.

1. pupup, Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014

pupup macrumors newbie

So I've been wanting to have an iPad for a long time. I tried both the Air and the Mini for a short period one year ago and I very much preferred the Mini's size, it just feels more confortable to hold, but screen is also important to me and the Air 2 offers cool updates (barring defective screens).

I just care about screen quality and a handy size, price or performance is a non issue.

Is the new screen of the iPad Air 2 worth in order to ditch the Mini's form factor?

Edit: I have to add I'll be mainly using it for reading books and comics.

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

IMO - no. I'm sticking with the Mini. I find the form factor perfect.

3. Mackinjosh macrumors 6502a

Nope. Air 2 also has a ton of different issues that will probably get worked out in Air 3. If form factor is key to you, never get the bigger tablets. You'll just be disappointed.

4. pupup thread starter macrumors newbie

Good points, I have to add I'll be mainly using it for reading books and comics.

5. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

A few of the early reviews of the air 2 commented that the thinness meant it felt like holding a device with a much smaller form factor. Also 2GB of RAM in the air 2 means that you'd be getting a device that is more future-proofed than the rMini 3.

Having said that, I think you really need to try them out in store and see how each feels for you. Also remember, if you make a decision and then immediately regret it you will have 14 days to return your purchase and get the other model.

6. AppleRobert macrumors 603

You get better ppl with the Rmini and more comfort ability holding it.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Apple-iPad-Air-2,Apple-iPad-mini-2/phones/8948,8171

Best to try the iPad Air 2 out though just in case the larger size is not a nuisance to you to hold and carry around.

Right now you can a good deal on the RMini but not the Air 2. How does a $200 difference sound? :)

7. mrgossett macrumors 6502

I had the rMini for a year and liked the smaller form factor as far as carrying, and it's nice for reading books (I never tried comics.) But I also subscribe to and read magazines on mine, and the Mini screen is IMO too small for that. I was constantly zooming in on every page to easily read the tiny text. Same thing for some websites. I sold the rMini and now have the Air 2, and I'm really enjoying the larger screen on everything. Also, the Air 2 display is MUCH better as far as color range and reproduction.

8. pupup thread starter macrumors newbie

Very appealing. Also the ppi increase is nice to have.

Now that's what I wanted to hear.

Very good points in both parts. I guess I'll just have to try the Air 2 in the end or I'll always wonder if it was the better choice for me.

Keep commenting guys!

9. AppleRobert macrumors 603

10. pupup thread starter macrumors newbie

As I said price is a minor issue and in that case I'll better go for the better screen.

11. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

I think you summed up the trade offs between the two devices, and no one can tell you which choice is right for you.

Personally I love the retina mini. To me, the screen is clear and sharp and beautiful. I'm not a visual artist, so perfect color accuracy is not a big deal to me. The screen can be just a bit small sometimes, and I'll use programs like IAnnotate or PDF experts to cut off the margins of pdf documents. But for me that minor inconvenience is a small price to pay for a device that can slip into my jacket pocket and go everywhere with me.

But that doesn't mean it's the right choice for you.

12. DaCurmudgen macrumors regular

I'd start with the Air 2

Based on what you've said, the Air 2 seems like a better starting point, and if the form factor becomes problematic, then I'd opt for a refurbished rMini with 64GB or higher storage. Here's why:

> If screen is important, by all accounts the Air 2 has a better color gamut, and the anti-glare, laminated display may be a nice improvement over the original Air.

> Certainly the Air made the difference with the mini a little harder to argue, however, for me, the mini form factor is still less cumbersome than even the Air and Air 2. So if this is, in any way, more important than screen quality, then you know what you must do.

> Otherwise, the specs (2GB RAM, A8X processor, WiFi speeds) of the Air 2 make it something you will hold onto for at least 3 years, where as the Mini 2 or 3 may not have that same longevity.

> No matter what, 64GB is your minimum bid. 16 GB is not enough. I have this on my phone and I am constantly managing storage, but I also use it as a camera. 32 GB might be enough, but given where things are likely to go, especially with visual content, 64GB will be more than plenty, and if money doesn't matter, then just get 128 and forget about it. There are plenty of workarounds, and people will say that all you need is 16GB if you use the cloud, or a wireless drive, blah, blah, blah but real use tells me that if you have it on the device, you're done.

Good luck.

13. pupup thread starter macrumors newbie

Omg this summarizes it pretty well. Yeah I was thinking about a refurb, but you sold me on the logevity aspect. The rMini sounds like it'll get much better specs next year and the current Air can stand pretty well for 2-3.