iPad rounded back vs flat back

Discussion in 'iPad' started by wesk702, Oct 28, 2010.

1. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

What do u guys think about round vs flat. The rounded back really makes it nicer to hold but the look of a flat back will probably look great.
    Same with the ip4. I wouldn't be surprised if the next iPad shares qualities of the ip4 like a flat back but definitely like the rounded feel in the hands.

2. DisneyRicky macrumors regular

DisneyRicky

I personally like the rounded edge, the flat would make it hard to grasp.

3. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

The curved back is nice, easy to hold, pleasing to look at.

I have a book style case for my iPad, so the curved back doesn't really interfere with the iPad laying flat.

4. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

I like it how it is, but maybe a iPhone 4 - like model would be nice.

5. ExnomenDei macrumors regular

While I don't think it's the best form-factor for an iPad, I do believe a flatter back will show up on it. It'll be even more like the screen of a Macbook Pro, perhaps, with only the edges rolled gently until they just bend straight around. I don't think they'll be going for the glass-aluminium-glass construction of the iPhone, for simple durability reasons. One sheet of glass held in aluminium is fairly strong, but two sheets feels a little too weak to me. Besides, I don't think a major design change is necessary for the iPad like it was for the iPhone.

6. wesk702 thread starter macrumors 68000

wesk702

Man, if they got it to be as thin as the display for the macbooks, that would be insane.

7. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

The curved back does make it easier to pick up and hold so I think they'll keep the same deign.

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I hope they keep the same design with the rounded edges. I like how my 3GS feels compared to the iPhone 4.

9. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

iPhone 4 is going to keep the slate look for a few years. The iPad will probably follow a similar trend to the iPod touch, which is currently rounded-edge flat back. This will allow it to feel good in the hand and still be easier to hold.

I love the style of the iPhone and how it feels in my hand but there's no way that's going to work well with the iPad.

10. lozpop macrumors 6502

For a 9.7" I think it's better a rounded back, it's easy to hold.

11. mkaake macrumors 65816

Flat back would be nice when you set it down, but rounded back is nice when you go to pick it up. Without a tapered edge, picking it up off of a table or desk would be a pain...

12. Fgirl macrumors member

Flat-backed iPads won't happen

You couldn't pick it up with one hand if it had a flat back like the iPhone. Perhaps Steve knows that some people don't have two hands.
    Take an iPad with no case and set it face down, and try to pick it up with one hand.
    It works for the iPhone because your hand can reach across to the other side of the phone and grasp it all once. Hmm, perhaps there's some NBA players who could pick up the iPad with one hand if it had a flat back.

13. lozpop macrumors 6502

LOL :D

14. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

I picked up an incase silicone cover for mine on 3G release day that gives it a flat back. Makes it SOOOO much easier to type on it! It sits nice and flat on tables, doesn't move, doesn't rock...

And I haven't experienced any issues with holding it with the cover on it either.

15. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

I'm still a little amazed that I can pick up such a great piece of technology by one corner and it doesn't flex or creak at all. It's one of the things that makes the iPad feel more like an uber-book than a computer.

16. SA22C macrumors regular

I feel the same way about my 13 inch Macbook Pro. Best laptop I've ever used. :D

17. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

The iPad isn't meant to look like a giant iP4. I'll stick with the curved - personally, I think it looks nicer and would feel more comfortable to hold when compared to a flat back. :cool:

18. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

Hopefully they don't change a thing as I have a Vaja Agenda 2, and would probably kill myself if my $200+ case became nearly-worthless in a scant 6 mos.

But that's just me. ;)

19. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wow. That would suck.

Still, I expect a front-facing (and possible back) camera, so unless you have scissors lying around... :D

20. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

Take no offense, but I'm going to laugh in your face if they redesign the next iPad, rendering your Vaja useless if you yearn for the new version. :p