iPad mini iPad running out of space since 7.1.1

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Redbull916, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Redbull916 macrumors member

Redbull916

Both my wife's and my iPad minis keep running out of space since the update.

Last night I had 123mb of space, I turned the ipad off then on and Then I have have 2.6GB. This morning I've got 1.7GB.

Is anyone else having this issue?

2. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

My mini does this all time, even before 7.1.1

It started with ios7. Sometimes it will even say it has no space and later on in the day it will say it has 300mb so go figure lol

3. Redbull916 thread starter macrumors member

Redbull916

Im back down to 110mb. Turned i off and back on and hay-presto I have 2.2Gb of space.

I'm now having to do this twice a day.

4. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

5. Redbull916 thread starter macrumors member

Redbull916

Shouldn't need to. I got over 2GB free once I turn it off and again.

6. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

7. Redbull916 thread starter macrumors member

Redbull916

Never, I sometimes use BBC iPlayer, but this is happening when I'm mainly using Safari, Facebook and twitter.

8. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Safari is constantly caching data, but I highly doubt you would be browsing enough to fill the cache that quick.

9. VFC macrumors 6502a

That is proof that 1GB ram is not enough for an iOS 7 iPad. Once Apple increases ram to 2-4GB; very little storage space will be consumed by caching.

10. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

But that seems like too much space being lost to just write it off as caching, unless the OP has an awful lot of tabs open at once?

11. Redbull916 thread starter macrumors member

Redbull916

I normally have 3 or 4 tabs max. 2 are forums (this is one of them), the other google.

12. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

It is the nature of the iOS to have this decrease in RAM after some use. Rebooting will get some of it released but it will just fill up again with use.

You need to delete data or apps OR buy another device with more memory.

----------

204GB? That will not happen anytime soon. Maybe 2 but 4 is not going to happen for years.

13. Redbull916 thread starter macrumors member

Redbull916

Do you not think that 2.6gb of free space is enough to read a forum?
    Before the ios update this was never an issue.

My iPhone 5 has less free space and I can use safari without issues on that.

14. Newtons Apple, May 12, 2014
    Last edited: May 12, 2014

Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

It looks like the answer is no. Much depends on what apps you are suing and what you are doing on the Internet as they can vary how much background memory they require. Problems like this is why I always get the 64GB iPhones and the 128GB iPads.

15. Redbull916 thread starter macrumors member

Redbull916

Surely if both devices work fine before the update and then one of them is constantly filling with temporary storage after the update, then the update is the issue? Not the device and the device was happy before it?

I should not need 128gb device to read a forum.

16. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

If I saw multiple posts with the exact same complaint . . . . I still maintain you are likely getting too close to the memory limits, which are dynamic, on your phone.

You can also take it to the Apple store:rolleyes:

17. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I'm curious - were you getting any warnings about running low on space, or were you just monitoring the amount of space free? (i.e. I'm wondering if iOS will automatically free up whatever temporary data is building up, whenever some app needs that storage).

18. Redbull916 thread starter macrumors member

Redbull916

I get a "running out of space" error popup message on the iPad.

I've just re-booted it again and i now have 3.6gb of free space.

19. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Try turning off iCloud if you use it and see if there is any change.

20. ZipZap macrumors 601

It may appear that way on a fresh reboot but clearly its getting used by the OS.

----------

So true. One of the perils of buying that cheap 16GB WIFI device. You always end up needing more space then you have.

21. Redbull916 thread starter macrumors member

Redbull916

My Celular 16gb wasn't that cheep, and I haven't run out of space in the past because I carry a MacBook Air. Most large files are stored on that and transferred when required.

The issue has only happened since the update.

22. KhunJay macrumors regular

KhunJay

No perils here....i got the 16G air becuse i think apple is a rip off for higher memory devices.

I use a san disk wi fi media drive now...its got 64 g flash plus a sd slot that takes up to 128g.....more space than i will ever need.

I keep all my heavy media...movies, tv shows on it and stream from there when necessary....works like a charm.

23. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

One of the best accessories I have - a Kingston MobileLite and the same idea as the Sandisk. I only need a large capacity IOS device when I'm travelling so this device takes care of that for me. Instead of upgrading to a high capacity model each year which seem to have the greatest depreciation, I just get the lowest, cheapest model and the Kingston is always compatible with them. All my media etc, is stored on the Kingston as well as backing up things like photos & videos when travelling. It even lets be copy between SD card and USB drive so I can take further back ups or share data that way. A great partner for an IOS device imho.

24. ZipZap macrumors 601

They why do you need the iPad at all.

----------

Too much freaking management if you ask me. Yet Another device to carry. Slow WIFI media access.

25. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

All pros and cons. Wifi media access is plenty fast for streaming content. Another device to carry when you need it but in my case, that is only when travelling - I don't need all that content with me on a daily basis.

For sure it isn't as convenient as having all the content you need on the device itself but it is a nice compromise, especially given the cost savings. You can pick up a device like this for a one off cost of around £25. SD cards and USB drives cost extra but they are cheap nowadays for high capacities and we all usually have spares lying around anyway. Compare this with the price difference between a 16GB & 32GB iPad - £80 here in the UK. Now if you upgrade every year that is a lot of money, especially when getting higher capacity devices 16GB to 128GB is a £240 price difference. Just because I can afford it, doesn't mean I need to pay the extra premium for a feature I will rarely use when there is a much cheaper alternative. There will also be people for whom 128GB is not enough - what do you do there? With such a device, the amount of content you can carry is practically unlimited.

It doesn't work for everyone but there are a lot of benefits to such a device and I personally have found it a sound acquisition even though it only gets used a few times a year.