iPad Safari Video Player Question

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Ronin64, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Ronin64 macrumors member

Hi,
    I thinking of picking up an iPad or the rumoured iPad mini and I will mostly be using it for browsing the internet. But I have really slow internet and normally when I want to watch a video on my Mac I will let the video load in another tab. Then when its fully loaded I will watch it.
    So can the iPad load the entire video or does the iPads browser only load the video while your watch it, like a streaming video player or UStream?

Thanks in advance.

2. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

It'll download videos in an inactive tab (just tested to be absolutely sure.)

However, even the iPad 3 is affected by the memory shortage question that it may also kill background tabs entirely. That is, it's always better to make sure nothing else runs when you start a lengthy caching section.

Alternitevly, if you can and the video file is downloadable, use a multimedia player with a sprcific downloader module - preferably one with resume support. There are many of them; let me know if you'd like to see a list of them. (I've also tested them in this regard.)

3. Ronin64 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, it will cache the video, good to know.
    And about the video downloading. Is that like those FireFox extensions that allow you to rip Youtube/Flash videos?