All iPads iPad Safety

Discussion in 'iPad' started by pMad, Apr 9, 2013.

1. pMad macrumors regular

This is slightly off topic, but you guys know your stuff and I need some advice.

My Father is 78.
    He uses his computer for email, Internet, but does some stock/banking stuff also.
    He sometimes clicks on pop ups and I have to go over and clean it up.

For the first time, he did something that actually scared me.
    Yesterday, he had ATT increase his speed.
    Today, he got a call saying "we noticed your computer is acting slowly".
    He mistakenly assumed it was ATT calling and did everything the person on the phone told him to do.

After he hung up, he realized that wasn't a good idea and unplugged everything and called me.

I went over and found a VPN installed with an installation date of today.
    I deleted it and again, cleaned every thing up.
    I've disabled his computer and said he needs to stay off for a week and together, we'll monitor his accounts.

So here is my question:
    I was thinking he would be much safer using an iPad rather than a computer as he couldn't accidentally install malware.

Am I correct?
    Do you have any other advice?

Thanks

2. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

If malware was the only issue, you'd be reasonably correct, though you never know what the future might bring. It would not leave him any less susceptible to phishing scams. (Are you sure he knows how to protect his passwords?) Further, since you'll be setting him up with a portable device, can you be sure of what would happen if he should lose it or leave it unprotected in a public place? You'll have to add a passcode lock, be sure any saved data has been backed up so it can be restored after a passcode lock-out, that he won't keep his passwords in Notes...

There are people who have a really hard time understanding the nature of computer/Internet risk. They have a fundamental lack of understanding about what is and is not technologically feasible. To them, the device is magical, not logical. They're perfectly ready to believe that some all-knowing force out there is able to peek into their computing device, detect impending technical doom and security risks, and that that force will then, benevolently, provide the necessary protection. (Kind of like the people who used to believe that the host of a TV program could see into the viewer's living room.)

They are insecure about this technology to begin with. The more we tell them to be wary, the more scared they become. The more scared they are, the more likely they'll grasp at the first offer of "assistance" that comes along. They won't have the fortitude to simply turn the thing off and wait for a trusted family member or friend to sort things out for them. In fact, they may turn to an "expert" in order to avoid the embarrassment of frequently bothering their family/friends.

Scammers have always preyed upon people who are overwhelmed by technology/financial affairs/the dark/complexity of human affairs. Introducing yet another strange, new thing into their lives is not likely to improve matters.

3. Fruit Cake macrumors 6502a

I tried this with a friend and they weren't confident typing on the glass touch screen, so settled for a new laptop instead. You need to consider how adaptable your father is to the new technology, also consider the ergonomics as for some the whole touchscreen interface can be somewhat overwhelming.

4. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

Provided his eyes are up to the task of a smaller screen, ignore the keyboard problems, get him an apple wireless keyboard with it.

My grandparents, close to the same age as your father, and they seem to be functioning OK with their iPad, they had a PC gifted to them when one of my aunts upgraded, and it sat there gathering dust for years, they got an iPad for Christmas of my aunts and uncles a year or two ago, and they love it!

5. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

You could always get a Bluetooth keyboard for that issue.

While an iPad is less likely to have malware, pop ups etc, I agree that the bigger issue is the phishing scams

6. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

My parents, both in there 80's have gotten scammed a few times over the phone too, and they don't even have a computer. From selling them phone services to insurance they don't need. The latest calls they get are for diabetic supplies they don't need either. They call no less than 3 times a week. I've tried telling my parents to just hang up when these people call, or to have them set the phone down and walk away (wasting the callers time) to no avail. Sadly there will always be people who pray on the elderly. I share your concerns for your Dad but have no answers for you. Do whatever you think best and keep trying is about all we can do.