MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
we'll know soon, when they announce 1 million sold.

I'd guess they hit that mark before it goes on sale internationally, but not within the first week, which would likely be the case if this 750,000 number is true.

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
Stock price is hovering about $241 today; if the figure is approaching 1 million units with backorders, then the stock will surely fly like a stuck pig to $300 -- if not higher.

phoobo

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2008
imaginative valuation

Stock price is hovering about $241 today; if the figure is approaching 1 million units with backorders, then the stock will surely fly like a stuck pig to $300 -- if not higher.
AAPL's market cap is 218 billion, with a B.

There's no way a few hundred million extra profit (= a million ipads) would logically move the stock 25%, which is what you're suggesting. Maybe 2 points for every 10 million ipads sold - that's about the order of magnitude.

If you want to value it emotionally, that's fine -- just don't pretend that you're analyzing. There are other factors of course, but no need for the bubble mentality.

AAPL may get to 300, but not as a logical result of this line of thinking.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA

There's no way a few hundred million extra profit (= a million ipads) would logically move the stock 25%, which is what you're suggesting. Maybe 2 points for every 10 million ipads sold - that's about the order of magnitude.

If you want to value it emotionally, that's fine -- just don't pretend that you're analyzing. There are other factors of course, but no need for the bubble mentality.

I very much agree with your core point, but remember that iPad sales go beyond just the core sale of the initial hardware. Apple also generates revenue (and significant profit margins) on the accessories that go with it (even 3rd party accessories) and the App Store.

On the App Store note, last time I checked the 3 iWork apps were still the top-grossing iPad applications.

One product may not boost AAPL to $300 alone (especially with the importance of the iPhone, iPod, and Mac still on the bottom line), but I think it may have a little more influence than you're giving it.

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
MacRumors has heard through a new but untested source that Apple has now sold over 750,000 iPads. Because of the untested nature of the source, this information is posted ....
So I guess I should call the editors to let them know Apple actually sold 3 million and they will post it here, on page 3 perhaps although the front page will carry a red, visible link to it?

Somehow this does not make sense to me except if I think of it from 'guerilla marketing' viewpoint. Even though it's a rumor site, there has to be some minimal qualification to the rumors, no?

Friscohoya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Oaktown
I'm taking the under on this one. 400,000 sold since launch? Maybe people were waaiting for the first reviews. Still I am taking the under. Maybe once the international aunch occurs and the 3G starts shipping, but this new source needs more seasoning me tinks.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
So I guess I should call the editors to let them know Apple actually sold 3 million and they will post it here, on page 3 perhaps although the front page will carry a red, visible link to it?

Somehow this does not make sense to me except if I think of it from 'guerilla marketing' viewpoint. Even though it's a rumor site, there has to be some minimal qualification to the rumors, no?
The source has credentials and is in a position to be well informed on the matter. We put it on page 2 with adequate disclaimers because we don't have a track record with the source.

unverified claims, such as what you suggest, are routinely tossed out by our editors and don't even make it to page 2.

dicklacara

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
SF Bay Area

There is an emotional side to this, too... for the first time (in recent history) AAPL market value is within 40 Billion of MSFT.

AAPL Market Value: $ 219,172,260,820.50
MSFT Market Value: $ 257,500,734,960.00

What's $38 Billion plus change among friends :D

ctdonath

macrumors 65832
Mar 11, 2009
...and that's approaching a million before 3G sales begin.
The always-connected feature is really where this thing is at. Sales should really explode then.

Friscohoya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Oaktown

They gave you all of the facts. Its from an untrusted source. Have to assume they have some minimal reason to believe that it was worth firing up the laptop and opsting it to the site.

Anyhow, perhaps you should test you hypothesis to vet their vetting system.

rstansby

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple announced on Monday that it had sold over 300,000 iPads on the first day of sales. MacRumors has since heard from a believable source that Apple has already hit over 750,000 in sales.

Apple is set to preview iPhone OS 4 tomorrow, and we may hear a formal update to sales figures at the event.

Article Link: iPad Sales Top 750,000?
I wonder if they are including sales that have not been shipped yet (if you order online they say they will ship in 5-7 business days.

BigJimmyC

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
750 000? I doubt it. Sounds like optimistic speculation. Considering that only 300 000 were sold on the "first day", which included all pre-orders and all ipads sent out to (but not necessarily sold by) bestbuy, it seems highly unlikely that they'd have more than doubled their sales by now, especially since stores weren't even open on sunday. Friscohoya's estimate of 400 000 seems far more reasonable.

soapsuds

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2004
The stock price represents the average guess of all investors of the _future_ value of the company. Before the launch of the iPad, people were all over the map as to how successful it would be. If it starts to look more like the iPhone than Apple TV, that would have a large impact on future earnings.

However, I still think it's too early to tell. Clearly it's not a total flop, but whether it's going to sell, say, 20 million units remains to be seen.

trrosen

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2003
not too insane

300,000+ sold on first day lets call it 340,000.
Add another 60,000 for sunday (many of the stores were open)
100,000 monday (people that were on the fence have now seen and touched a friends iPad)
Tuesday another 100,000+ plus another 100,000+ of pre-orders shipping from China direct to user.

And as Steve might say BAM 700,000.

Seriously, demand will increase as people see these things in the wild. If you don't have $499 don't touch one as you will have to get one once you do. I'll bet Apple's web ordering when crazy monday morning as these thing got past around the office.

ADallasfan

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2010
If you count the number of preordered wi-fi, preordered 3G, as well as what has already been sold, it might be possible. I know a number of people, including myself, who satisfied their initial craving by preordering a 3G.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
unverified claims, such as what you suggest, are routinely tossed out by our editors and don't even make it to page 2.
I can ONLY imagine some of the crack-pot 'rumors' that people attempt to get floated...

How about a 'Crumpled-Up-Back-Page' that would contain some of the more zany rumors in a 'one liner' format with no method of commenting or voting. Just a running laundry list of those you find most insane/humors etc but I guess that's only going to encourage the current lunatics as well as prompt 'future lunatics' who never though of doing it.

dicklacara

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
SF Bay Area
300,000+ sold on first day lets call it 340,000.
Add another 60,000 for sunday (many of the stores were open)
100,000 monday (people that were on the fence have now seen and touched a friends iPad)
Tuesday another 100,000+ plus another 100,000+ of pre-orders shipping from China direct to user.

And as Steve might say BAM 700,000.

Seriously, demand will increase as people see these things in the wild. If you don't have $499 don't touch one as you will have to get one once you do. I'll bet Apple's web ordering when crazy monday morning as these thing got past around the office.
Especially considering that the 300,000 figure might reflect that sales were supply-constrained. The changes in delivery lead times indicate that this may be a factor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.