iPad saves me in the nick of time

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kylera, Apr 9, 2012.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

So my editor at work referred me to a radio news producer who was looking for a writer, and I wasn't expecting it. The producer called me and asked me to come for an interview ASAP. In the rush, I forgot to pack a copy of my resume, a mistake I realized when the producer asked me for it.

However, just as he rose to get something from his desk, I checked my Dropbox on my iPad...to find a copy sitting there. A few taps later, a link sat in his mailbox, and a minute later, a paper version.

Phew. Now all that I need is the final OK.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

3. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

Thanks!

This episode got me thinking: I couldn't possibly have saved myself this smoothly if I brought a laptop today. Be it whatever OS the laptop was running, it would have required clicks and mouse movements, thereby looking even more unprepared.

4. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

Yes I know what you mean I had to do this a few times from my iPhone.
    DropBox is just awesome and I use it all the time.

5. Archer1440 macrumors 6502a

Archer1440

Awesome story. I too have had a few instances when having something available on the iPad Dropbox app or elsewhere on the device made me look better prepared than I actually was for an impromptu meeting or question.

I suppose for some this could be a real career enhancement device! Hopefully for you too!

6. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Nice - maybe the quick thinking will help you.

Good luck!

7. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

8. chrisvee macrumors regular

Gotta love Dropbox, ey? I put all my important documents in there, just in case - resumes, school work, etc. Love it.

I'm at about 9.5GB (free) now, from referrals and promos! :) We get 500MB per referral now! (My link is in my signature)

9. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

That's really cool--I love when stuff like that works out. I have actually been using iWork in iCloud for those situations and I like it even better than Dropbox, but I have not put things like my resume in iWork yet. (Probably something I need to think about doing).

10. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

So Dropbox saved you in the nick of time, not iPad.

Any device you had with you with access to Dropbox would have had the same result.

11. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Why so negative?

12. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Well, in that case, we could just generalize it and say the internet saved him in this situation. But couldn't we say that about any device then? All we're doing with our computers, smart phones, and tablets all day is just accessing the internet.

13. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

He didn't have "any device" with him, he had an iPad and that's the whole point of the post, which you seemed to have missed entirely.

14. Eddie Bombay macrumors 6502

Dropbox has saved me so many times. Everything I do on my PC I have auto sync to Dropbox so I have contracts, resumes, work forms at my fingertips.

15. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

My reply: 3G.

On top of that, the presentation factor would have been nonexistent if I used a laptop or a smartphone, be it a MacBook, iPhone, Wintel or Android. Not to mention the abysmal number of laptops and tablets that have a cellular radio built-in...AND if there is a cellular radio, the lagginess in getting connected from a disconnected state. Just imagining myself clicking my way to the file and waiting for Word to finish loading makes me shudder, whereas I was anle to present my resume with the iPad near instantaneously.

The iPad's 3G might not be capable of downloading massive files, but at least for me, it is more than capable of coming to life and providing me with information when I need it consistently. Just like this.

16. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Come on it's Monk!

Cheers,