iPad Scratches Warning

Discussion in 'iPad' started by reptiledude4, Apr 20, 2010.

1. reptiledude4 macrumors member

reptiledude4

This is a warning to all iPad owners out there, take it as you will, it is based off my own personal experience. Hers my story:
    I bought the iPad on launch. I was extremely meticulous with it, until one day, while cleaning the screen with a microfiber cloth, I noticed several micro-scratches all over the screen. Not smudges, actual scratches. The iPad itself had been nowhere but in house, and I had no idea how the scratches got there. So, I went to my local Best Buy, clueless as to how it happened, and told the sales rep what had happened. Turns out, the first batch of iPads they got had faulty oleophobic coatings, that were causing a small # of iPad screens to scratch easily. He assured me that the replacement iPad would not have the same problem, and he even threw in a free Apple iPad Case with it. Don't know if Apple has addresed this problem publicly yet, but at least my issue was resolved.

2. gillybean macrumors 6502a

Mine was launch day from Best Buy and I haven't had any problems with scratches. I've just been using kleenex to wipe off the fingerprints too.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Sorry but I don't buy this but I do buy that some BB worker would make up ****.
    Glad you got your iPad sorted but I call BS on there being an issue, at least right now.

4. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

Hum, that is interesting. I think you may have just gotten lucky. I have some scratches on my screen as well. Same situation. Always in a case, never dropped, nothing but fingers and my iKlear cloth have touches it. I doubt I would get Apple to exchange it out for me though, unless something more definite comes out about this. They only seem to say it is scratch resistant and not scratch proof.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

There's a difference between scratching the screen and scratching (defective) oleophobic coating off. One doesn't equal the other. I'm guessing the "scratches" are coating only. Not that it doesn't suck. But I seriously doubt the glass was scratched.

6. GregGebhardt macrumors 6502

I have cleaned my iPad every day before going on the charger and used the same 12" x 16" new microfber cloth and have looked at it VERY carefully and it has zero scratches.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I thought you didn't have one yet.

8. ren857 macrumors member

If you keep using a micro fiber cloth without washing it, you may end up with little specs of dirt on your cloth that could lead to little scratches on your screen.

Not saying that the OP was using a dirty cloth. I'm just putting it out there that its a possibility.

9. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

PWNED.

What a pathetic thing to lie about.

10. Robbadore64 macrumors regular

lol, jessica has to be one of my favorites on here.

Although I guess it's possible he has a wifi model and the 3g will be his second but I'd doubt that...

11. BobRichards macrumors regular

That has to be one of the funniest things I have ever read.

12. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Cosign that. Lmao @ troll-glow

13. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

lol, too funny......

But, he could have a wi-fi one, he didn't specifically say he didn't have one...

14. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

This.

15. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

16. jeff323 macrumors member

17. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

18. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

false story is false

19. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

No one can get away from Jessica here.. She knows everything.

This is really bad, I thought I can now use my screen without a protector but now I'll check for scratches and put a film on it asap.

20. firteen888 macrumors regular

Where does it say he doesn't have an ipad in that thread? All I see is that he doesn't have the 3G yet, doesn't mean he doesn't have a Wifi version.

21. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

Irony at its best.

22. ClaireL macrumors 6502a

ClaireL

He's been talking about his iPad since launch week, so apparently he has a Wifi and a 3G on order.

23. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Yeah but Jessica likes to jump on people and assume whatever she thinks about what they did/are doing and stuff.. :rolleyes: It's just that time of the month - every day.. :D

24. 88Keys macrumors regular

88Keys

Oh, thought she was post meno.