Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2contagious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
UK
Hi,

I wanted to ask if it is normal that the iPad screen has backlight bleeding/leakage? Just bought mine today and I noticed that it has an uneven backlight. The most noticeable spot during normal usage is the one on the left hand side (although the two spots in the top right corner look worse when viewed in a dark room). I took a picture with my iPhone (see below).

Do you guys all have evenly lit screens?

photoatv.jpg

dread

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
2contagious said:
Hi,

I wanted to ask if it is normal that the iPad screen has backlight bleeding/leakage? Just bought mine today and I noticed that it has an uneven backlight. The most noticeable spot during normal usage is the one on the left hand side (although the two spots in the top right corner look worse when viewed in a dark room). I took a picture with my iPhone (see below).

Do you guys all have evenly lit screens?

photoatv.jpg

I have had two ipads both with the same issue but yours looks worse than both of mine. Bottom line is the screen on the iPad sucks. Half my screen is white and the other half yellow on white backgrounds.

2contagious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
UK
Thanks for your quick replies, I'll take it back tomorrow. I am wondering if they keep some stock for exchanges (?) because they seem to run out of 3G models quite quickly. :(

Centst

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2010
Similar

My first one looked exactly like yours with the left side. I took it back and here is my new one. The question can I take it back after 2 weeks? I had to go out of town. The first time they said it was the same as the rest, but would replace it, but stock was very limited. Everything works great on this one so I am somewhat hesitant. Is it possible to still return for a new one?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 265

henneth

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2010
I'm curious about this too. I almost don't want to check, but I do want to see. So far mine seems perfect.

UScr00ge

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2009
I've had two iPads so far and both had this issue. Every iPad I've held in my my hands also has it as well (friends, Best Buy display model.)

2contagious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
UK
The spot on the left hand side can be seen in normal conditions as well. The rest of the spots is mostly only visible in darker lighting conditions.

cmalinowski

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2010
I'm curious about this too. I almost don't want to check, but I do want to see. So far mine seems perfect.

Yea, I'm going with the "ignorance is bliss" mentality too. I don't want to know... especially if all of them have it.

Centst

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2010
Light viewing

Yes you can see it in lighter conditions on the right side. Depending on brightness, at 50% brightness you can notice a little and at 100% it is a bit more obvious. This is on a black screen.

All other use it doesn't show. But Netflix, ABC, and in the Photos app you can see it. Watching in a darker room you can tell. Will Apple still take exchanges after 2 weeks? I'm really trying not to be to picky and ignore it. As it is only in a few instances like movies that I notice it, but after paying almost 800 bucks and others are getting solid screens makes me tempted to try again if I can.

peterja

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2008
The two iPads Iv'e seen in a dark room had quite allot of backlight bleed, but it's something you would seldom notice in regular use.

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Yes you can see it in lighter conditions on the right side. Depending on brightness, at 50% brightness you can notice a little and at 100% it is a bit more obvious. This is on a black screen.

All other use it doesn't show. But Netflix, ABC, and in the Photos app you can see it. Watching in a darker room you can tell. Will Apple still take exchanges after 2 weeks? I'm really trying not to be to picky and ignore it. As it is only in a few instances like movies that I notice it, but after paying almost 800 bucks and others are getting solid screens makes me tempted to try again if I can.

I have returned 3 iPads, onto my 4th now which is perfect. You can get a swap.

deathcab4xtina

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2010
Here is mine, id say its 99.9% perfect. There are good ones out there.

Attachments

• photobleed.jpg
    photobleed.jpg
    332.1 KB · Views: 292
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.