iPad screen durability

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by squidkitten, Mar 11, 2012.

1. squidkitten macrumors 6502

squidkitten

Hi, I just pre-ordered the new iPad, which will be my very first iPad!

I already own and iPhone 4, and I had a screen protector on it until the Apple store guy told me that the glass on the iPhones are scratch resistant, and I was safe with a case that had a lip over the edge to keep the surface elevated.

He was pretty correct, because the only damage my iPhone has encountered in 8 months is a mystery chip (honestly have NO idea how it happened, but I got over it) and a recent hair line scratch that isn't noticeable at all.

I'm assuming the iPad glass is the same as the iPhone, which will make it pretty durable.

I've seen a few comments in threads about dust from Smart Covers causing scratches on people's iPad screens?

I'm just wondering how likely that is, because I want to buy a screen protector (Particularly the Ultra Optics from spigen: http://www.spigen.com/tablets/apple...g-wifi-screen-protector-steinheil-series.html) but I'd rather wait for reviews to see how well it fits with snap on back covers, because I'm the sort of person who absolutely cannot handle bubbles in screen protectors!

I just don't want my Smart Cover scratching up my glass before I can get my hands on a decent screen protector.

2. tlinford macrumors regular

tlinford

Gorilla glass.

Hi,

Although Apple don't delare it the iPhone 4 and iPad screens are made from gorilla glass. Gorilla glass is extremely scratch resistant. The process that makes gorilla glassy makes a very touch, but very thin protective layer. These screens although scratch restistant to almost unbelievable levels, they are vunerable to dings.. If they get struck (hard) by something hard and pointy they will chip...

I have been using an iPad2 for a year (nearly) and an iPhone 4 for a year and 3/4. I keep thr iPhone in a hard leather slip case and have a smart cover for thr iPad. The iPad smart cover is genious so do get one... Also I have had both plastic and leather ones, and the leather one ( all be it expensive ) is a lot better that the plastic one...

I have a couple of tiny dings on the iPhone when it slipped off my car seat and slid done the life of the seat.... The iPad screen is spotless after a years heavy use. I use is daily and carry it about all the time in my satchel-bag....

I would recommend a GelaSkins Protective Skin for the back of the iPad. I put one on mine and it stops the back getting scratched without adding any bulk at all...

I hope you enjoy your iPad as much as I have been enjoying mine...

----------

I really don't think a screen protector is necessary, in fact, I think it might make the screen a little less dynamic to use.

The iPad screen also has a layer of something on it which makes fingerprints easy to wipe off..

Whatever you do be CAREFUL not to use a screen cleaner that has alcohol in it, if you do will will wreck the coatings on the screen...( in fact Apple say you should't use anything, but I have found it useful with care) .....my mother started to use a screen cleaner sold by amazon for iPad and she now has a slight swirl on her screen (very minor) but would have been worse if I hadn't intervened and stopped her in the nick of time......

----------

I really don't think a screen protector is necessary, in fact, I think it might make the screen a little less dynamic to use.

The iPad screen also has a layer of something on it which makes fingerprints easy to wipe off..

Whatever you do be CAREFUL not to use a screen cleaner that has alcohol in it, if you do will will wreck the coatings on the screen...( in fact Apple say you should't use anything, but I have found it useful with care) .....my mother started to use a screen cleaner sold by amazon for iPad and she now has a slight swirl on her screen (very minor) but would have been worse if I hadn't intervened and stopped her in the nick of time......

3. squidkitten thread starter macrumors 6502

squidkitten

Thank you very much! That was very informative! I appreciate you taking the time to help me out. I feel much better!

4. sovereign macrumors 6502

sovereign

Did the original iPad have Gorilla glass? Despite all attempts to avoid scratches on the iPad 1 there were still 2 slight scotches after only a few months.

5. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I used GhostArmor for my first iPad because I was so paranoid. For iPad 2, i went without any screen protector on the front, and it's SO much nicer of an experience.

I used a SmartCover all year, and my iPad doesn't have even the slightest scratch on the screen. I'll be skipping a screen protector for the front of the new iPad because that retina display will be too gorgeous to put a film over the top.

I always use something on the back for protection though - Gelaskin for iPad 2, and I'll probably order a new Gelaskin for the new iPad.

If you take good care of your iPad and have the screen covered (via SmartCover or other), and you put it into another case or sleeve when putting it in a book bag or traveling, you probably won't need to worry about scratches.

I also carry around a microfiber cloth to dust off fingerprints after use.

6. sovereign macrumors 6502

sovereign

I was extremely careful with the iPad 1 and it still showed a couple of slight scratches, which led me to add a PS Anti-Glare for the last few months I owned it. Is the new screen going to be any better in this regard?

7. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

Yes, it did. I've had the iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, iPad and iPad 2 and all (except the iPhone 4 because I have a screen protector) have gotten at least one minor scratch on them despite my attempts at trying to be very careful about how I handle/carry the devices.

The bottom line is, they are scratch RESISTANT not scratch PROOF. If you are anal about keeping your stuff pristine, use a screen protector. If you are careful with your stuff and a small scratch or two won't bother you, a screen protector will probably be a waste of money.

8. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I totally agree that they're scratch "resistant" not scratch "proof". Your mileage may vary. For me, I wanted my original iPad pristine when I sold it, and it was - I think I got $550 for it right after iPad 2 came out.

For the iPad 2, I had planned to get front screen protection but thought I'd "see how it goes" and so far, a year later (knock on wood), I haven't had any scratching issues with the front. The Gelaskin on the back is full of tiny scratches from putting it down on a table, but I'd much rather the 3M sticker take the brunt of it than the aluminum on the back.

When I sell my iPad 2 this weekend, it will look like brand new. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I always carried a microfiber cloth with me, and when it got really grimy on the screen, used either iKlear or ShaggyMac Optimist Prime (ha ha) on it. Note: spray solution onto the cloth, not the iPad itself. ;)

Only issue with the screen is to me, it seems like the oleophobic coating wore off about 5 or 6 months into owning it. But that just meant I had to wipe it more with the microfiber cloth (I hate fingerprints, haha).

If you really hate fingerprints, a screen protector might be your best bet - I remember my original iPad didn't fingerprint nearly as bad, but it also had GhostArmor on the front of it.

9. xraytech macrumors 68020

10. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

If you get another screen protector, try using RainX on it. Not only does it make it feel very slick to the touch but also resists fingerprints much better. I DO NOT recommend putting it on the iPad screen directly.

11. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Ooh RainX - that's a great idea! I used to use STP Son of a Gun (the car product) on old PocketPC's and Palm Pilots that had plastic screen protectors -- it made it nice and slick to use with a stylus, but I don't think STP would work well against glass. Maybe I'll give RainX a shot this time around. :)

12. DesertSilver macrumors 6502

It's personal preference. For as long as I've been reading forums about smartphones, there has been those that are dead set on both ends of the spectrum. To screen protect or not to screen protected...that is the question.

And, yes, Gorilla Glass is very hard to scratch but it can be done. I had an HTC EVO 4G that knowingly has Gorilla Glass (advertised as so on Corning's website) and I had a couple scratches on it after 1 year. I had a pretty visible scratch on it that I ironically got while trying to clean the screen with my shirt. I used one finger under my shirt to wipe, and I felt the scratch as it happened. I was pissed.

13. squidkitten thread starter macrumors 6502

squidkitten

These are all really helpful comments. I think I'm going to just keep with the Smart Cover only. My iPhone has been handled a lot less delicately than my iPad will be, and it's in near perfect shape. I usually prefer screen protectors because they're so fingerprint resistant, as well as how much they help with glare, but the retina display is just going to be so pretty, I'd hate to cover it up… I think I'll just be cautious and carry around a microfiber cloth, as well as making sure I don't have any residue on my Smart Cover before closing it, and hopefully I'll be good.

Another question, for anyone who might know:

Say a few months down the line, i get a hairline scratch. One of the ones that can't be seen unless you reflect light on the screen and are really looking for it. If I were to put a screen protector on it at that point, would that scratch cause any air bubbles or anything in the screen protector? I know that something like a crack or a chip can.

14. number84 macrumors 6502

I think screen protectors are needed for phones but not tablets so long as you have at least a smart cover. Phones get shoved in pockets and purses with the likes of keys/coins/etc. Tablets don't.

I've used my iPad 2 with and without and by far the experience without is so much nicer.