iPad Screen Fail

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TallManNY, Dec 6, 2010.

1. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

So I turned on my iPad 3G this morning and the screen has some substantial pixel bleeding on the left edge. Also there is a strip from one side of the screen to the other that is discolored. It is your basic LCD screen fail, but I wouldn't expect to see something like this go wrong in a product that is only five months old. It was working fine on Sunday and it has just been sitting in a bag overnight. Everything seems to be working, just there is now a 1 inch wide and six inch long strip on the left side that is completely smeared and unreadable. Touch access still works through smear.

Anyone have this happen to them? Do you think Apple will replace this? I did not buy Applecare and as I mentioned before, I've had the iPad for at least five months by now.

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

Nobody "expects" failures, they just happen. You have a 1-year warranty, take advantage of it.

3. Kestrel452 macrumors regular

I bet Apple would replace that even out of warranty. That's just wrong.

4. lozpop macrumors 6502

Apple replacing hardware out of warranty? Maybe on Mars. ;)

5. err404 macrumors 68020

I've had good luck with app replacing parts that are out of warranty. YMMV.

6. jallenclark macrumors regular

Me to, even without apple care I had a battery die about 4 months out of warranty and when I went to the store I was given a free replacement battery.

7. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

I've seen this!

I had the exact thing happen to me. 1 inch with across near the top and then from that area, vertically down the rest to the right side. I had it replaced, no problems.

The Genius said that he had never seen it before but suspected it was from pressure on the LCD resulting from storing the ipad against something heavy in my bag. OF Course it's my fault ;)

I'm not sure what the real cause was, but I'm happy they replaced it on the spot.

8. TallManNY thread starter macrumors 68040

TallManNY

Hmm, my bag had a bunch of stuff in it, but it wasn't really stuffed and certainly nothing heavy. But it is right along an edge. Anyway, if there is a one-year warranty, I should be in luck. I just have to wait for a good time go go over to the Apple store when it isn't super crowded. During this season that probably won't be until 10 p.m. at night.

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

True, but how can an iPad be out of warranty until next year (other than user modified/voided)? :confused:

10. poloponies macrumors 68030

For "best service" you need to make an appointment in advance. Go to the store's website and follow the procedure. You should be in and out fairly quickly with an appointment.

11. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

I checked, no Apple store on Mars... Yet.

But they will clean up, tweak, and double the ram in a almost six year old
    G5 IMac for free. (How long has it been since they made the G5?)

This happened last month.