Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
Hello,

I wanted to get your thoughts on an issue I’ve been having. I have a bright spot in my iPad 10.5 - which has been discussed in this thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/bright-spot-on-ipad-pro-10-5-screen.2115037/

I bought the iPad in June 2017 in Canada, I live in the UK however. I took this to an Apple store in the UK, but they didn’t help because it wasn’t bought here. They gave me an apple Canada number.

I called the number but it actually directed me through to a UK line. They transferred me to a US line oddly. Then I got cut off. Then I called again - the same thing happened repeatedly. The process took two hours and no one really knew how to help me.

I tried to look for an email but that doesn’t exist.

I do not have AppleCare - my question is, what should I do?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I took this to an Apple store in the UK, but they didn’t help because it wasn’t bought here. They gave me an apple Canada number.

Not having Apple Care doesn’t matter outside of perhaps not being able to honor that pricing if you are in a country that doesn’t have that service. It does mean that being more than a year old you’d be paying for any parts but I suspect you knew that already

My first question would be if you went to an actual Apple Store and not an authorized third party shop. And what reason did they give you for why they can’t service the device. Seems odd to me because I’ve seen folks from Canada and the UK come to the US and have no issues.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Maybe cut your losss sell it buy a new one.

Doing that would be spending twice as much on a device that Apple should be able to fix, and do so without a huge run around. That’s why I was curious to see if they gave a reason other than ‘it wasn’t bought here’. The only thing I could think of is if the poster made it sound like he was trying to make a consumer law claim. Those have to go back to the seller and each country is considered a different seller for legal reasons. So since it was bought in Canada only Canadian consumer law would apply, not UK. Which might just be a misunderstanding on the part of the store staff.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
If it’s under warranty then apple should be able to get it sorted. Their warranty is worldwide I thought.

Edit - apologies, just realised it was bought in June 2017.

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
Doing that would be spending twice as much on a device that Apple should be able to fix, and do so without a huge run around. That’s why I was curious to see if they gave a reason other than ‘it wasn’t bought here’. The only thing I could think of is if the poster made it sound like he was trying to make a consumer law claim. Those have to go back to the seller and each country is considered a different seller for legal reasons. So since it was bought in Canada only Canadian consumer law would apply, not UK. Which might just be a misunderstanding on the part of the store staff.

Yes, the staff did correctly point out it’s consumer laws of Canada not the UK which apply. So basically it’s just bad luck that it happened - I think it’s a minor issue so I’ve decided to give up now! I considered selling it and buying a refurb after the new ones get announced but too much effort. I’m still in the middle of selling my husbands iPhone X.

Thanks for your inputs everyone!

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
It is a bit weird, that they would not help you,
it should not matter that you bought the iPad somewhere else.

If you were traveling from Canada to UK, they would still help you.

They only will not help if the specs of the iPad is not available in the UK, and you would have to send it to them.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
It is a bit weird, that they would not help you,
it should not matter that you bought the iPad somewhere else.

If you were traveling from Canada to UK, they would still help you.

They only will not help if the specs of the iPad is not available in the UK, and you would have to send it to them.

They can’t help because the device is out of warranty. So there’s no warranty cover or consumer laws apply. The OP has to pay whatever is the price for the repair, at which point part numbers become an issue because different territories have different laws and different part numbers to go with.

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
They can’t help because the device is out of warranty. So there’s no warranty cover or consumer laws apply. The OP has to pay whatever is the price for the repair, at which point part numbers become an issue because different territories have different laws and different part numbers to go with.

That's exactly it, it's out of warranty - not much I can do. I still think it's a minor issue so I'm going to live with it.

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
That's exactly it, it's out of warranty - not much I can do. I still think it's a minor issue so I'm going to live with it.

Then all you can do is find a reputable repair shop, or use this to upgrade, so your new iPad also lasts longer :)

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

You’re mixing up situations. It’s not that they can’t help because it’s out of warranty. They can’t help FOR FREE because it’s out of warranty and the consumer laws from Canada only work when you are in Canada. As for different part numbers from what I have heard that’s not totally true. They would have different parts for unique cellular situations like how China apparently uses their own form of CDMA. But if this was a cellular ipad from Canada it’s GSM just the UK and the iPads cover all possible frequencies etc of GSM in the device. So the service part number would be the same

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.