iPad Screen Orientation Bug? Test and Share Results

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mbman81, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Mbman81 macrumors member

Hello,

After using the iPad for a few days now, I've noticed that it feels that the device screen orientation rotates to landscape "right" with only a slight tilt compared with rotating to landscape by going "left". It always rotates to landscape to the "right" so easily it seemed.

To see if I was going crazy, I downloaded a clinometer app to determine the angles that trigger a screen rotation. And noted the following:

Rotate left - 26 degrees
    Rotate right - 13 degrees
    Rotate upside-down - 29 degrees
    Back to normal - 29 degrees

Note: my point of reference point or normal orientation is with the button down in portrait.

Could anyone else attest to experiencing this skewed tilt to rotate screen? You can download the clinometer app for free in the app store to test.

Please let me know your results so i can determine if this is a bug or something with my device.

Thanks!

2. greg555 macrumors 6502a

I only did the rotate left and right (starting with home button at bottom) both switch at 60 degrees (then display changes to say 30 degrees).

Greg

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

OP: doesn't look like I have the same results. Enjoy your ipad and stop looking for some random defect.

4. iRabbit macrumors 6502

If what you mean is that it takes less to get it to rotate to landscape when tilting to the right, that makes sense to me and is likely not a bug. Why? Becausse when in the Apple case propped up for typing you'd want that slight angle to triggle the rotation. The other way, it doesn't need to trigger until a more drastic angle is achieved.

I'd suggest it was intentional.

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I agree that at times it does get a little annoying that the slightest tilt makes the screen rotate, but its not worth nitpicking.

2nd option, you can always just lock the screen from rotating, thats what I do (I just prefer everything in Landscape Mode)

6. Mbman81 thread starter macrumors member

That is a good thought. Perhaps it is intentional. I was hoping a few people could chime in and state what angles trigger the rotation to see that they all are like that or not.

It would be nice if they had an adjustment because I do not have an apple case. When laying in bed sometimes I do not have it rotated right, and it fights me to be right with every move and I have to flip the iPad.

Anyone else care to chime in with the results on rotating?

7. carpets macrumors member

carpets

I didn't bother downloading the clinometer app as the effect is noticeable without it.

I would say when tipping left it is approximately 30 degrees and half of that when tipping right.

I have the apple case, and raising the flap does indeed trigger the flip!

8. ArmCortexA8 macrumors 6502a

I tested mine manually, and it seems to trigger at the same angle whether left or right.

9. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

Stuff like this doesn't bother me so I didn't test. I'll take a zero.