iPad screen reddish tint?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AnonMac50, Jul 10, 2012.

1. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

I bought a new iPad 5 days ago. However I noticed today that it seems to have gotten a reddish tint on the screen which I didn't notice before, but the problem is that I'm not sure its there.

The other problem is that the nearest Apple store isn't that close.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. AnonMac50 thread starter macrumors 65816

3. AnonMac50 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok, it definitely has a pinkish tint. Should I take it to the Apple store?

4. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

Depends if you want to risk getting one with a green/blue/purple tint or dead pixels, etc etc....

It's the iPad lottery ;)

5. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

is it at all times?? Mine has a really faint pink tint when i view it in a car, have sun glasses on and even sometimes near windows at my house.

UV treated glass causes my screen to look different.

6. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

As I have said before, its down to the different grades of glass used by apple unfortunately.

7. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

lol as i just stated before my devices screen only has a very slight pink hue to it when being viewed near UV treated glass. i.e. tinted windows, treated windows, my polarized glasses etc.

uv treated glass has effects on all lcds no just ipads.

not saying there isnt devices with bad glass and permanent screen issues, just saying mine is only affected when viewing near treated glass.

8. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

And there are also iPads (like my 1st one, before I exchanged it for dust problems), that had zero tint in any condition.

I wished I had just kept my 1st one and put up with few specks of dust as the whites were perfectly white and text was even sharper.

I have got used to the slight pinkness and have managed to virtually get rid of it with a jailbreak and color profiles installed :)

9. thegreati macrumors regular

Unless it hurts your eyes or is a threat to your health I would recommend just holding onto it.. But that's just me.

10. number84 macrumors 6502

This is what I've noticed as well. In the car where the windows are UV protected, I get the pinkish hue.

11. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

If the tint is the same on every part of the screen, keep it. If this is your first try, you've totally lucked out.

Your eyes will think it's pure white after awhile. Not the case if it's half green and half pink (which you're likely to get if you exchange it)

12. Ipadfever macrumors 6502

Ipadfever

13. AnonMac50 thread starter macrumors 65816

Well I notice that it's normal, sometimes it's got a blue tint, and sometimes it has a pink tint.

And, it gets really hot sometimes.

14. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

No, if it looks pink to you now, I wouldn't expect it to turn "bright white", even after you've had it awhile and gotten used to the tint, especially if you compare it to another iPad or iPhone screen, I kept my 3rd unit with a pinkish display because it was a uniform, clean screen. While it looks okay with indoor lighting, it is definitely pink when used in natural light or in the car. I also have to turn brightness up to >70% to get a bright white screen indoors and this causes my unit to run very warm if not hot. I decided to accept it as is rather than continue playing the lottery for a "perfect" screen but it still irks me when I use it outside or in the car and it is noticeably pink. You need to decide whether or not you want to live with the screen as it looks to you today. If the tint really bothers you, you can return and try again but, again, that will be a lottery and you could end up with worse.

You must return it within 14 days because Apple considers the various tints "within spec" and will likely be reluctant to exchange for you after the official return window closes.