iPad Screen Scratches! Help!?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by KidZgOtMac, Jan 11, 2011.

1. KidZgOtMac macrumors regular

KidZgOtMac

So I take extremely awesome care of my iPad, but today while bending down to get it my keychain lanyard struck the screen and at first I hadnt noticed anything but just now I found 3 scratches! A long one like almost an inch, a circular one and a smaller one. How can I fix this!? I seriously cannot live with these scratches! Are there any homemade ways to remove, repair or minimize them? Will any screen protector cover and make them not noticeable? Anything at all? Replacing the screen is just way too expensive.

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I've noticed that the wet-apply style screen films tend to hide scratches. If that worked for you then you'd also be protecting against more scratches in the future. :)

3. ArchXyrho macrumors member

Zagg would be a good choice

4. Evgenyy macrumors regular

I had a huge deep scratch on my iPad screen which really bothered me as it was distorting the image behind it. I went to see a genius asking how much it would cost to replace the screen. That threw him as I wasn't trying to get a free replacement by making up a story so he nicely got a new iPad out and replaced it for free.

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I got a couple of small scratches on my iPhone 4 screen which were annoying me no end. I decided to put an Invisible Shield on to prevent any more scratches and it also hid the scratches that were already there

6. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

Captain hindsight says: Anyone with any kind of smartphone/tablet should always put a screen protector on it! They only cost a few pounds/dollars. You may never need it but if you do you will be glad you had it. I know that if I had any scratches on the screen of my iPad it would drive me crazy!

7. NYY FaN, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011

NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

I have a scratch just on my ipads screen protector and it bothers me, but at least I can always replace it. I rather not replace it now unless it becomes worse because I managed to get the protector on perfectly (no dust or bubbling from the case), but I could not imagine how pissed I would be if the scratch was on the actual screen. I always equip my iphones/ipad with screen shields the very first day.

also its worth a shot taking it to the apple store to see what they can do since it is under warranty.. the worst that can happen is they tell you it will cost $ to replace the screen. If they can't replace it I would go for the invisible shield since its not crystal clear and it would, for the most part, cover the scratch

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Ghost armor claims to mask/hide scratches. My wife's watch crystal was all scratched up and she had them put the ghost armor on it. Low and behold it did, so I'd say it should work for the ipad

9. Built macrumors 68020

Power Support Crystal film should do the trick.

10. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Another Ghost Armor fan. I let the guy at Best Buy apply it and he did a fantastic job (YMMV, not all BB guys apply them as well).

Any gadget more than $100 gets a wet-application screen protector. I tend to pick Ghost Armor over Zagg -- less moiré pattern.

11. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

I got the Invisible Shield from Zagg, and it works great, your iPad won't get any scrach

12. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

As long as the sticky feel and orange-peel texture don't bother you...

13. Built macrumors 68020

Do a search on Invisible Shield by Zagg on this forum and see how many bad reviews it gets for the orange peel effect, amongst other things...

14. melman101 macrumors 68030

I agree. Power Support Crystal Film. That's what I used and I can't see the scratch no mo'

15. mstout macrumors member

no protector, no scratches, no problemo. On iPad, iPhone and iPod. I hated the protector I put on my iPhone, took it off, no worries at all. Looks like new.

16. WilliamG macrumors 604

Right! The reason the scratches are hidden by screen protectors is quite simply because screen protectors suck! They obscure the clarity of the screen. But to each his own!

17. Ksane macrumors regular

That's what I kept thinking while reading this thread! Eeeeekk! It was like fingernails on a chalkboard trying to use my iPad the 1 day I had a Zagg shield on it. I hated the feeling and the dull dimpled look of my screen.

18. Built macrumors 68020

Wrong-o, Skippy. PS Crystal Film doesn't "obscure the clarity of the screen" one bit.

19. Cloysterpeteuk macrumors member

I want to be using my iPad as it was intended, I don't want to be looking through an additional layer of film do I, I don't care what you say but looking through anything that Apple didn't design to be there is not going to enhance the user 'experience'.

Mine is totally scratch free, but then that's to be expected as I never take it out of the house, I don't take extreme caution with it either, yesterday I balanced it precariously on a stack on the dresser besides me. Sure enough the whole lot came crashing down before long, only a four foot drop onto carpet so my books were fine, iPad didn't get any scratches either.

20. Jack97 macrumors regular

Jack97

There's this thing you can buy called applesauce polish which is really good for getting scratches off.