iPad Screen - Should it easily flex down?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Medic311, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

I bought an iPad 2 refurb from the Apple Online Store. I noticed that when typing on it, it makes a rather loud plasticky tapping noise almost as if I am tapping on an empty plastic shell. Upon looking at the screen closer, it noticeably flexes downwards when pressed lightly. I was under the impression that these screens were glued down tight, not just glued along the bezel edges. My iPhone 4S has a very solid screen and when typing you don't get that annoying plasticky hollow tapping noise. The screen on the iPhone 4S also doesn't flex at all.

I know I may sound paranoid, but something just doesn't seem right. I had an iPad 2 refurb before this one that randomly typed on its own, clearly with some sort of screen defect (was exchanged for the one I have now). Despite that defect, when I typed on the screen it barely made any noise at all similar to the iPhone 4S...it felt solidly attached.

I'm not sure if this has something to do with it, but my iPad 2 refurb has that stupid bulge on the black bezel where the home button is (as many others have too). If you press down it levels off with the aluminum edge but after 10 mins it pops right back up. It's not nearly as bad as others had, but it's definitely bulging out more than any of the other edges

I just wanted to get the opinion of others if they also get that annoying noise while tapping, or if it feels like the screen is solidly glued on and you don't hear much noise at all.

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

My refurb doesn't do any of the above and has no bulge on the back. Return it or get a replacement if you're in the warranty period.

3. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    ....yyeeaaahh, I'd say you've got a bad furb. Typing on an iPad should feel like you're tapping your fingers against hard glass. At most, you should be hearing a nice, solid thuk, and it shouldn't flex at all.

4. Medic311 thread starter macrumors 68000

Medic311

the refurb is still within the 1 year warranty period. the bulge isn't on the back, it's on the black bezel around the home button.

what about your screen? does it noticeably flex down when pressed lightly?

when you type on the virtual keyboard, does it make hollow tapping noises?

----------

it definitely doesn't sound like a solid thunk like on my iPhone 4S. it sounds like you are tapping on the side of a plastic cup (if you have a plastic cup near by, tap on it and that's the sound it makes when i type)

5. Rodster macrumors 68040

I see, no there's no bulge by the Home button and no flexing. It appears the screen glass was not properly laid down or the glue separated from the glass. If you go to iFixit you'll see how an iPad comes apart.

Call Apple and get a replacement.

6. Medic311 thread starter macrumors 68000

Medic311

last time i called they made me drive 45 mins to the Apple store. can they send me a replacement iPad in the mail and then i send the defective one back to them in the box? or do they make me send mine first?

also, what do you suggest i tell them? they're going to think i'm crazy if i say "when i press on the screen it flexes down"

7. Rodster macrumors 68040

Yup you either swap it out at an Apple Store or you send yours back to them first then they send you out another refurb. I believe shipping is free both ways during the warranty.

8. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Okay, you made me flick all my various iDevice screens with my thumbnail, and...yeah, it does sound a bit like you're tapping a thick plastic cup against something. But that's kind of beside the point. Typing on it shouldn't make any sound unless you're typing with your fingernails and really going to town with it. I'd guess that you're actually pushing the glass screen against the underlying surface of the iPad.

Which means it's probably not glued on there properly. That would definitely explain the flexing.

I've never dealt with Apple tech support before, but I have no reason to suspect they wouldn't have some RMA setup you could use, specially if you're still within the first couple of weeks of your purchase. It's highly likely you'll have to ship them your iPad first, though.

And no, they probably won't think you're crazy. If it's not glued on properly, I'd guess the "flexing" is the screen sinking down slightly when you apply pressure to it, then springing back up afterwards. If Apple tech support is as hip and with it as people claim, they'll probably know what you're talking about, and offer up the first steps you need to take to get a new one.

9. slayer666 macrumors regular

I would defiantly return it ASAP as it should not be doing that. Something must of terribly went wrong in the refurb department.

10. Medic311 thread starter macrumors 68000

Medic311

i just called up Apple and they agreed that something went wrong during the assembly process. they are advanced-exchanging one to me, said i will receive it within 24-48 hours, and i put the defective one back in the box and send it back with the prepaid label.

i'm wondering how many times i have to keep doing this for these iPad 2 refurbs...

11. Medic311 thread starter macrumors 68000

Medic311

so i just got the replacement iPad.

WOW

i can't believe i was using that defective iPad for so long. this iPad has a screen that doesn't flex downwards and there is no bulge around the home button black bezel surface. the screen itself is tight against the body of the iPad, doesn't make a hollow noise when i tap it

thanks for everyone's advice