iPad screen

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Smithey1981, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Smithey1981 macrumors member

How hard is it to scratch one I have a belkin tru colour screen protector on mine since I got it replaced and have to say I don't like it, my worry is taking it off and then getting scratches. I have it in a belkin snap sheild for rear and smart cover for front

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I've always had a screen protector on my iPad so I've never experienced a scratch. However, I have let my iPhone screen go bare, and it had several scratches within a few months of careful handling with the phone being the only object in my pocket.

The way a phone is handled is generally different than the way an iPad is handled of course so it may be less prone to scratching. However, I don't want to take a chance on such an expensive device.

If you use a cheap protector, it looks awful and plastic-looking. You should know that brands like "powersupport" look and feel just like the bare glass surface once installed.

3. number84 macrumors 6502

why are there so many threads for this same topic? you're going to always get 50/50 on whether a screen protector is needed or not. pretty sure you're going to be in the same dilemma.

if you're anal about your devices and are accident prone, then put on a protector. otherwise don't.

for what it's worth, i don't have one.

....see, you're at 50/50 already...

4. -TYLER macrumors regular

The way I see it is, it is a $500+ device, mine as well put good screen protector on it to keep from damaging it. I also plan to resell my device eventually, and want the best value I can possibly get. So a screen protector and a back skin were a necessity for me.

5. Lindsford macrumors 6502a

I don't use protection because it feels smoother and better without it :D

6. thrill5one6 macrumors regular

thrill5one6

used a screen protector for a couple of days on my first iPad and then ripped it off. Haven't use it on my current iPad either. Screen is scratch resistant. I would suggest a screen protector for the iphone since it's thrown in your pocket/bag but not the iPad.

7. ATC macrumors 6502a

No screen protector on either my iPhone 4 or the new iPad and no scratches on either one. They are both in cases though. Using the targus Slim case for the new iPad which covers both the front and back.

8. Zcott macrumors 68020

I can understand putting a screen protector on an iPhone because it's constantly in your pocket with coins and keys, although I choose not to bother. With the iPad, there are no keys and coins nearby. I use a smart cover and sleeve for travelling and haven't ever scratched an iPad screen.

9. shortcrust macrumors 6502

Screen protectors have never appealed to me. Why take something beautiful and cover it in plastic? I won't keep my devices for ever and second hand buyers are tolerant of a scratch or two.

My original ipad is still scratch free and I've not been obsessively careful. My iphone has a few scratches but they don't bother me. I've got a few wrinkles and scars so who am I to judge!

10. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

Get the crystal clear screen protector. Looks exactly like the screen. Can't even tell it's there. I got mine through powersupport. I think you may like it.

11. number84 macrumors 6502

Saw a guy at the mall the other day sporting a folio case and had his iPad in it with the plastic that it comes with from Apple. The thing looked hideous as it was all creased, bulging all over the place, etc. In this scenario, most definitely put on a screen protector!

But I guess...to each his own.

12. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I strongly suggest getting a Smart Cover (or similar) and not bothering with a screen protector. Unless you have absurdly sharp and long fingernails, it's extremely unlikely that you'll scratch the screen during normal use. While you're not using it, the Smart Cover provides an elegant and practical form of protection for the glass, while also serving as a handy stand.

Screen protectors, no matter what people may claim, reduce the clarity of the display and negate the oleophobic (anti-fingerprint) coating to a certain degree. If you're careful while using your iPad and use a Smart Cover when not using it, the chances of the display being scratched or damaged are extremely low.

13. Alec Shaw macrumors newbie

I think Its definitely depends upon your personal choice.. I think the one thing to consider...how do you use it? If you're in situations where you could damage it, then it may be a good idea. But if you're never out of the house, then you may be okay. I do use screen protector to my iPad but truly don't like it.