iPad Second Generation.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jb8thnote, Oct 27, 2010.

1. jb8thnote macrumors newbie

Hi guys, i definatly want an iPad NOW (or for christmas), but my better judgement is telling me to just wait a few months for the next one because Apple usually releases new products during the first quarter of the year. Based on how apple releases products, does anyone have any idea what month the new iPad will arrive, and what features it will have? I've hear everything from side docking capabilities and 4G data... to it arriving in time for christmas? Any news or solid insight would be awesome.

Thnks =D

2. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Here's the thing.

Apple may announce a new iPad in Jan/Feb and it might not be available until a few months after that. I bought one 2 days ago and love it, I may sell it for the 2nd gen if it's worth it to me. It's going to be at least 4-5 months before a new model is out.

My guess for new features include Facetime camera for 100% sure, everything else is just a guess. And no, 4G data is totally totally out of the question. If you want one, buy it now and resell it if you feel the need to

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

An update is very likely in spring 2011, as the iPad was publicly released into customers hands in April of 2010 and Apple usually updates their iDevices once a year at the same time (June/July for iPhone, September for iPods).
    As for specs, there are only hopes but no real evidence or rumours.

MRoogle is a good tool to search these fora for already existing threads about questions you have. It might be able to answer you quicker than waiting for an answer.

4. poloponies macrumors 68030

The only definite thing we do know today is that Apple will NOT announce the next revision 2-3 months before it goes on sale. They will announce it when it's released. They are not going to stop current iPad sales dead in their tracks by saying "we have a better one coming out in 2-3 months."

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Go get one now..

iPad 2 Anounced on Jan, release April/May 2011, Don;t count on 4G wireless, don't count on much larger capacity. It will be a minor update (thinks of iPhone 3G > 3GS)

6. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Fine then, scrap the Jan announcement. June announcement and june release...still no difference

7. jb8thnote thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, that makes alot of sense, I think i'll buy one now, however, if they do announce in january, wouldn't they release it around april like the First gen? IF thats the case.. i'll buy on now and just sell it a few months after the next one comes-- honesty i doubt i'll use a camera.. the only reason i use web cams are for conferencing with clients.. and they often what to file/screen share will looking at how there website is coming along, the ipad wouldn't suffice for something that heavy..

8. g000 macrumors newbie

keep in mind the months of delay between announcement and product availability typically only applies to first gen products. 2nd gen and beyond you dont see that any more.
    e.g. for this year the iphone, ipod touch, apple tv have all become available within a month of annoucement

9. jb8thnote thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, i will probably now buy one, and sell it, or turn it in for apple store credit towards a new one... this will also give me a chance to determine if i actually need a new one. the new one would be a tad more expensive, so if i buy one now, ill have the opportunity to decide if i want to upgrade, or if i like the first gen. from what i've heard. the ipad is an amazing device.

10. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Just to be clear, I'm expecting...

- same price points
    - same storage size options (16GB, 32GB, 64GB)
    - same Wi-Fi/ Wi-Fi + 3G options (forget 4G - it's not happening)
    - front-facing camera
    - possible back camera
    - slightly improved display (not Retina!)
    - slightly altered design
    - improved battery life
    - etc.

If you really can't wait, buy one now. If I were you, I'd hold out a bit longer.

P.S. I agree with an earlier poster - Apple won't announce a new iPad and wait to release it 2-3 months later. It wouldn't make any sense. The new iPad will be released the moment Apple announces it - my bet is on a Tuesday sometime between January-April. Hope this helps! ;)

11. jb8thnote thread starter macrumors newbie

@ Apple...

Thanks, that really helps. Seeing that those updates will make the next a rather minor update.. not to large to make the first gen look completely obsolete.. I'll go ahead and buy now.. if i have the strong urge for the camera later, which i doubt.. i'll sell the first, and buy the second. =D

12. pizz macrumors regular

Ya I don't think you'll see a huge difference in the next update. If you really want to wait I think it'll be the 3rd gen that makes a substantial leap. Just look at history!

13. Kestrel452 macrumors regular

Apple's first fiscal quarter is the holiday season! Not the same as the first calendar quarter.

14. rowuncw macrumors newbie

What are the chances that the iPad would be redesigned to resemble the iPhone 4 more than the Touch or previous iPhone models? The right angles and flat back of the 4 are much more appealing to me than the previous gens, and would be drool-worthy for the iPad.

15. poloponies macrumors 68030

It's positioned as an intermediate device between the iPhone and the MacBooks. It's not meant to look like a big iPhone; it takes its interface from the iPhone but is intended to convey more of a sense of the MacBooks with their Aluminum enclosures. A long way of saying "no."

16. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

:D

17. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Your welcome. One more thing you could possibly add to the list would be an improved processor, which is fairly likely to happen with the next version. Buy now, sell later. Cheers!

P.S. Which model did you buy? :D

18. JDPEagle macrumors newbie

I would put money on a new iteration of the iPad for the holiday shopping season (before the end of the year).

19. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

It would be cool, but it probably won't happen.

For a Holiday (Dec 20-Jan 1) launch, they'd have to be swinging into full production right about now. It's very hard to keep a full production run a secret. Also, as a new generation production run gears up, the old model begins to disappear from the distribution channel. Since we don't see these signs, it doesn't likely that we'll see an update this year.

It seems more likely that we'll see an annual cycle with an announcement in late March and availability immediately after. This fits in nicely with Apple's other product release schedules

20. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

And I will take the opposite side of that bet.

21. My name is Alex macrumors regular

My name is Alex

Me too. How much??

22. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

I'm going to go with no update until Autumn (Fall) 2011. Controversial, I know.

Would mean the iPad could pick up some more features introduced in the iPhone 5 instead of languishing with a lower spec for most of the year.

23. Diane B macrumors member

I expext to update to 3rd gen not 2nd. This works pretty well for all my needs and I use it for a lot of things--things I didn't expect to use it for. Its one of thise things yiu didn't kniw yiu needed but did LOL Rarely boot my desktop except to process RAW image files or to add to Dropbox to open on Ipsd and never use laptop.

24. HarryKeogh macrumors 6502a

I expect to update with every gen and sell the previous on eBay for a small loss.

25. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Apple *generally* only announces brand new products ahead of time--not revisions to existing products. Since there was no iPad in January, such an announcement wouldn't hurt current sales. Therefore, I don't *think* they'll announce the new model until the day it comes out. However, I think it will still be released around April or May and for sure we'll here all kinds of production rumors leading up to that.